Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla Raids Again is scary

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Plus the music. It sounds a lot more horrific in tone compared to Ifukube's work.
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

That hand puppet used for Godzilla’s close-ups is butt-ugly. Makes me wonder if it was an influence on Shin’s design?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tenup wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pm This is one film that seems to be overlooked overall and it has always had this haunting effect on me. This was one of the first Godzilla films I owned as a child. I remember getting the VHS copy as a gift for Christmas and would enjoy playing it over and over despite it having very poor quality audio.

One of the things that never quite settled well with me with the film is Godzilla himself. My dad would always tell me it wasn't Godzilla because Godzilla is dead. Being young I didnt understand this because it sure looked like Godzilla and I would contest my dad's argument. Also the American dub version featured Godzilla having Anguirus roar which made my dad's point more convincing.

Now this is where it gets scary because it wasn't til years after the fact that I saw the original 54 film (well actually the 56 American edit) that confirmed what my dad was telling me. Godzilla was killed in that movie yet he reappears in Raids again. I believe theres a scene where scientists are going over their explanation to why this is but I dont recall if it's a different creature or a resurrection? And Godzilla is vicious in this. The scene where the police and escaped convicts caused that massive explosion directing Godzilla's attention always gave me chillz. And that erie score makes it bone chilling
The opening, is pretty creepy:

Notice the light, but haunting background music, and the monster screams as well as what was obscured. I remember also being scared by Angurius dying but I must have been five.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

After the death of Godzilla in the 54 film, Yamane does wonder if Godzilla was the only one of its race. This makes him realize there are others.

GRA is a chilling film in tone and score. It shows ordinary people being effected by unbelievable and terrifying events, feeling helpless during and after the monsters destruction of their world. The music score also sets the mood for the events.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:03 pm
tenup wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pm This is one film that seems to be overlooked overall and it has always had this haunting effect on me. This was one of the first Godzilla films I owned as a child. I remember getting the VHS copy as a gift for Christmas and would enjoy playing it over and over despite it having very poor quality audio.

One of the things that never quite settled well with me with the film is Godzilla himself. My dad would always tell me it wasn't Godzilla because Godzilla is dead. Being young I didnt understand this because it sure looked like Godzilla and I would contest my dad's argument. Also the American dub version featured Godzilla having Anguirus roar which made my dad's point more convincing.

Now this is where it gets scary because it wasn't til years after the fact that I saw the original 54 film (well actually the 56 American edit) that confirmed what my dad was telling me. Godzilla was killed in that movie yet he reappears in Raids again. I believe theres a scene where scientists are going over their explanation to why this is but I dont recall if it's a different creature or a resurrection? And Godzilla is vicious in this. The scene where the police and escaped convicts caused that massive explosion directing Godzilla's attention always gave me chillz. And that erie score makes it bone chilling
The opening, is pretty creepy:

Notice the light, but haunting background music, and the monster screams as well as what was obscured. I remember also being scared by Angurius dying but I must have been five.
You can't go wrong when you shoot kaiju tilting upwards from the perspective of humans on the ground, making the kaiju look rightfully big,

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Raids Again was the final Godzilla film that I saw growing up after I got my hands on the Classic Media DVD in the mid to late 2000s. I have always found the movie to be slightly unsettling because of the pacing of the monster fight and the soundtrack during those scenes. The sped up fighting gives the battle between Godzilla and Anguirus a savage, animalistic feel that I do not think we have ever seen since. The clip shared above and the main fight in Osaka both are effective in giving the fight a sense of horror and awe as we see two monsters fight to the death. Can imagine that after the original Godzilla film, the filmmakers wanted to add on the sense of dread that the original film gave Godzilla by bringing him back with a seemingly equal threat in Anguirus. It is an underrated film in my book that I have always felt is decent and not as terrible as I have seen other fans rank it.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I usually watch the Japanese original and I only just watched the English dubbed version.

Does anybody else find the Gigantis version fantastically entertaining in it's missteps?

Like the use of the Anguirus roar on Godzilla, calling Godzilla/Gigantis a species of Anguirus. The history lesson saying prehistoric creatures were born of fire. Ankylosaurs being named murderers capable of wiping out the human race. The comical voice for Kobayashi. Just disappointed that the classic media dvd transposed the title Godzilla Raids Again over presumably the original Gigantis The Fire Monster.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

I just watched the American version for the first time in awhile today. Can somebody provide some clarification on Kobayashi's love interest? Was the picture supposed to be of a woman he was crushing on? The girl in the photo looks really young. Was there casual subtext that suggested he had a daughter that maybe got lost in translation? I've also heard people mention that it was in fact a love triangle with Kobayashi loving Hidemi as well. However, the woman in the photo looks nothing like her in my opinion.

Anybody have an explanation on what they were going for?
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's someone he met off-screen after his mid-movie relocation to Hokkaido.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The hell? I thought for sure the intention was that the photo was of Hidemi.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

You're not the only person who's assumed that, but the girl in the picture is definitely not Setsuko Wakayama (Hidemi). The film fumbles it but it's supposed to be a girlfriend Kobayashi meets in Hokkaido. I think the reason we never meet her in the flesh is because, throughout the film, Kobayashi's presented as a lovable but bumbling guy, presumably unlucky with women (supported by the way he sheepishly asks Hidemi what kind of gift is suitable for a woman), so the reveal that Kobayashi successfully met someone is supposed to be as much a happy revelation to the audience as it was to Hidemi.

Prior to the relocation, he says he'll search for a bride in Hokkaido, and Shibaki, his boss up there, offers to set him up with someone. In that same scene, Hidemi and Tsukioka kid him about how "finding women isn't like finding fish" and that he'll need all the help he can get. In Hokkaido, Kobayashi plays along with those jokes, referring to himself as "the groom" (which becomes his nickname up there) and having his boss set him up with the fish instead; because Kobayashi doesn't seem to be treating his search seriously, the audience is supposed to assume this is just Kobayashi being a goofball per usual. He hints to Hidemi later that he actually has met someone, but because of how he denies her any more information, we might assume it's just more teasing.

Only later when he asks Hidemi for assistance does he seem sincere and not pulling her leg. Hidemi realizes his sincerity when, right before leaving to help Tsukioka, Kobayashi asks her to come up with the best gift by the time he gets back. As is pretty typical of Japanese filmmaking, much of this is unspoken, but it's supposed to be clear from how differently way the actors play this scene.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:19 pm You're not the only person who's assumed that, but the girl in the picture is definitely not Setsuko Wakayama (Hidemi). The film fumbles it but it's supposed to be a girlfriend Kobayashi meets in Hokkaido. I think the reason we never meet her in the flesh is because, throughout the film, Kobayashi's presented as a lovable but bumbling guy, presumably unlucky with women (supported by the way he sheepishly asks Hidemi what kind of gift is suitable for a woman), so the reveal that Kobayashi successfully met someone is supposed to be as much a happy revelation to the audience as it was to Hidemi.

Prior to the relocation, he says he'll search for a bride in Hokkaido, and Shibaki, his boss up there, offers to set him up with someone. In that same scene, Hidemi and Tsukioka kid him about how "finding women isn't like finding fish" and that he'll need all the help he can get. In Hokkaido, Kobayashi plays along with those jokes, referring to himself as "the groom" (which becomes his nickname up there) and having his boss set him up with the fish instead; because Kobayashi doesn't seem to be treating his search seriously, the audience is supposed to assume this is just Kobayashi being a goofball per usual. He hints to Hidemi later that he actually has met someone, but because of how he denies her any more information, we might assume it's just more teasing.

Only later when he asks Hidemi for assistance does he seem sincere and not pulling her leg. Hidemi realizes his sincerity when, right before leaving to help Tsukioka, Kobayashi asks her to come up with the best gift by the time he gets back. As is pretty typical of Japanese filmmaking, much of this is unspoken, but it's supposed to be clear from how differently way the actors play this scene.
Well, that certainly makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation! Much appreciated. Perhaps that will help give me a different perspective the next time I give it a watch.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It adds another layer of tragedy to the film. Poor guy finally finds love, and then smashes into a mountain.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I don’t really like to shit all over a vintage film, but at least in terms of entertainment value, this is the weakest G film I’ve seen (still haven’t watched the anime trilogy). It’s decent up until Anguirus dies, but after that... the stuff with the cannery in particular is unwatchable. Also, it was a really poor choice to break up the climax over two days so that Godzilla is just sitting there half trapped while they come up with the plan to drop the rest of it on him.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

LockBite wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:17 pm I don’t really like to poop all over a vintage film, but at least in terms of entertainment value, this is the weakest G film I’ve seen (still haven’t watched the anime trilogy). It’s decent up until Anguirus dies, but after that... the stuff with the cannery in particular is unwatchable. Also, it was a really poor choice to break up the climax over two days so that Godzilla is just sitting there half trapped while they come up with the plan to drop the rest of it on him.
personally, I have a soft spot for this film, and still enjoy watching it, but I can't defend the movie from any of your points. I wouldn't say its the weakest, ebirah or son of g take that cake for me personally. raids again's image of the two monsters fighting over the castle is one of the Showa era's most iconic and coolest shots for me
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

baran
Ronin

Post by baran »

I think GRA is an underrated film, even among serious fans. Admittedly, it does have a few things working against it.

It has the misfortune of being the immediate successor to the original masterpiece, a few editing issues, and a denouement that seems misplaced and hampers the film's pacing.

However, even with its faults, it's easy for me to feel engaged with the story. I like the characters and the dialogue because I find them all so likable and relatable. The settings, too, in Osaka and Hokkaido were immersive. Osaka felt eerie and frightening when Godzilla made his dreaded entry. Conversely, Hokkaido felt cozy, what with the characters all ensconced from the cold in the warm setting, laughing over food and tossing back shots of sake.

The special effects were masterfully crafted by Tsuburaya. The wake of the destruction left by Godzilla and Anguirus almost felt real. The fights were solid and animalistic (albeit a little too fast), and besides a few close-ups of puppets, the monsters look great. Like the original, Goji is scary in this movie.

It has its faults, but I don't know why Godzilla fans don't rate it higher.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Those are all solid points, especially the one about Godzilla Raids Again receiving extra scrutiny in comparing it to the original (a film which, let's face it, is pretty hard for *any* Godzilla sequel to measure up to).
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

All sequels face such scrutiny, but GRA is a good movie.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Absolutey GRA is underrated. There's good characters, good monster stuff, and I gotta admit, I used to get annoyed at the convict bit, but really really enjoyed it the most recent time I watched it. The whole vibe of the confrontation between Gigantis and Anzilla was great.
Plus that score really do be slappin.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

It was certainly better than I was expecting on first watch.
For Emperor and Empire!