Minya: Why all the hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Minya: Why all the hate?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The younger fans just don’t like him cause he’s “not cool enough”.
Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
So much wrong with this
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The hate is because he's the cutesy character and those type of characters always get hate.

I can give more long winded explanations like it ruins Godzilla's original intention by giving him a kid, or it took the series in a direction that was more kid friendly that turned some fans off, or any number of other things, but really it can all be boiled down to Minilla being the cutesy character.

Personally, my biggest issue with Minilla is his design as he looks absurd (and almost nothing like his supposed dad). But I thought the movie that introduced him was a pretty solid entry and it was the closest Godzilla ever came to capturing a Disney like feel (some people might not like that, but I think it makes SoG more unique).
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojiDog wrote:The hate is because he's the cutesy character and those type of characters always get hate.

I can give more long winded explanations like it ruins Godzilla's original intention by giving him a kid, or it took the series in a direction that was more kid friendly that turned some fans off, or any number of other things, but really it can all be boiled down to Minilla being the cutesy character.

Personally, my biggest issue with Minilla is his design as he looks absurd (and almost nothing like his supposed dad). But I thought the movie that introduced him was a pretty solid entry and it was the closest Godzilla ever came to capturing a Disney like feel (some people might not like that, but I think it makes SoG more unique).

I don’t hate Minya at all, Son of Godzilla is an excellent film.

However, you’re completely right about it humanizing Godzilla too much. After this it was difficult turning Godzilla into an antagonist for the remainder of the showa series.

And I agree about him looking too different, but I think the difference is that many of us forget is that the original OG Godzilla’s 1954, and 1955, were victims of the atomic blast. Per what’s stated in the films, and evidenced by supplementary material, Godzilla’s species was a group of underwater (or prehistoric creatures that were living in secrecy) until the majority of them were wiped out or unleashed by atomic bomb testing. The original Godzilla’s thus have a charred texture to them. Due to us just being used to it, it’s weird realizing that the early Godzilla’s definitely looked like they’re supposed to be burnt. Minya is sortve like if that never happened, hence his smoother skin.

Minya is weird, because he was definitely “tampered with” by radiation but not to the same effect as the daddy. Irrc his egg is found after the weather expirement. Minya could also imply that daddy’s spines, sortve correlate to the amount of radiation, or explicitly grow with age.

I guess another thing that Minya, in terms of stature, looks way similar to the 54 suit then the one they used for SoG.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Worse than just being a cutesy character, he's a badly executed cutesy character. He's hideous. :lol: I personally don't have any real objection to him and he's even grown on me over the years (I'm a big Revenge defender, of course) but I don't blame those that do hate him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:Worse than just being a cutesy character, he's a badly executed cutesy character. He's hideous. :lol: I personally don't have any real objection to him and he's even grown on me over the years (I'm a big Revenge defender, of course) but I don't blame those that do hate him.
I think Minya, donkey sounds and all, is the cutest thing in all of the franchise. I disagree that he’s a badly executed character, especially in SoG. He also evolves into his own, via some admittedly bad fighting, into his own monster.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Worse than just being a cutesy character, he's a badly executed cutesy character. He's hideous. :lol: I personally don't have any real objection to him and he's even grown on me over the years (I'm a big Revenge defender, of course) but I don't blame those that do hate him.
I think Minya, donkey sounds and all, is the cutest thing in all of the franchise. I disagree that he’s a badly executed character, especially in SoG. He also evolves into his own, via some admittedly bad fighting, into his own monster.
Agreed. Minya manages to look just gross and weird enough to be reminiscent of real infant, in an odd sort of way, which is ultimately a lot cuter than the more Disney-fied and glossy later incarnations.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Agreed. Minya manages to look just gross and weird enough to be reminiscent of real infant, in an odd sort of way, which is ultimately a lot cuter than the more Disney-fied and glossy later incarnations.
I know it may seem like I dislike him because I tried to make a case for why I preferred Junior, but Minya always had that goofy Showa charm that was funny in most scenes he was in, like when he choked out Ghidorah with his atomic ring (Or something similar)? Or getting his tail stomped, or when he played jump rope with Big Gs tail.

I forgot if they said he was a Godzilla in the film officially or not, I know they said he was adopted which made me think he wasn't of the same species but I know he has all the qualities like the tiny dorsal fins, the atomic ring (how'd he get that btw? Isn't that a radioactive trait?) and if that's the case does that mean '54 Godzilla looked like Minya at one point in his life? :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The scene where Minya is born, shows him covered in slime, similar to a real firstborn infant. While he grows quickly, the next time we see him reminds me of how babies are born and then what follows; seeing the cleaned up child.

Sure Minya is slightly weird looking; but for a Kaiju he definitely has the most human-like face for a Kaiju. His head, actually doesn’t look that different from a real baby’s.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
None of that happens...
Then you must've watched a completely different Heisei era.
What slim odds does he over come? What allies does he make? How does he follow in his father's footsteps?

He does nothing in Mechagodzilla.
He is trapped in Spacegodzilla.
The most stuff he does is in Destroyah, sure, but he gets killed quickly and never shows any sign of being remotely like Godzilla. Yes he becomes a mature Godzilla at the very very end of the movie but that's just an image, he doesn't *do* anything.

He is a plot device to move the plots of MG, SG, and Destroyah. He has no overarc through those movies, he doesn't change or evolve (only visually).
Wanna watch me revive a dead discussion?

He attracts Godzilla and Rodan to the site of the final battle in GvMG2
He's basically the damsel in distress in GvSG, and serves as Godzilla's motivation to defeat SpaceGodzilla
In GvD, he takes on Destroyah's Aggregate Form/Flying Form alone, attempts to reunite with his father, is killed by Destroyah's final form, and revived into the new Godzilla when his father dies and he absorbs the radiation from the surrounding area.

Junior's arc was more about growing up to become the new king of monsters. In GvMG2, he starts off as a small, cowardly baby, but has to learn to trust other creatures, which ends up with him leaving for Birth Island with his father. In GvSG, he ends up learning the lesson of not being overly trusting, since his childish curiosity leads to SpaceGodzilla attacking and kidnapping him. Finally, in GvD, he has grown into a more mature creature who has clearly been through a lot (and learned how to use his atomic breath without his dad having to step on his tail, as far as we know). He has learned how to fight to defend himself, which becomes important when he's stuck against a pissed off Destroyah, and his father is no where to be found. And at the end of Destroyah, Junior fulfills his purpose of becoming the successor to his father. This is often why I think so many fans got upset that the idea of a second series of films following Junior was scrapped in favor of the wide range of quality that was the Millenium Era.

BTW, what exactly was Minilla's arc? Learning how to use his atomic breath, which he immediately forgets how to do again in Revenge because stock footage?
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Then you must've watched a completely different Heisei era.
What slim odds does he over come? What allies does he make? How does he follow in his father's footsteps?

He does nothing in Mechagodzilla.
He is trapped in Spacegodzilla.
The most stuff he does is in Destroyah, sure, but he gets killed quickly and never shows any sign of being remotely like Godzilla. Yes he becomes a mature Godzilla at the very very end of the movie but that's just an image, he doesn't *do* anything.

He is a plot device to move the plots of MG, SG, and Destroyah. He has no overarc through those movies, he doesn't change or evolve (only visually).
Wanna watch me revive a dead discussion?

He attracts Godzilla and Rodan to the site of the final battle in GvMG2
He's basically the damsel in distress in GvSG, and serves as Godzilla's motivation to defeat SpaceGodzilla
In GvD, he takes on Destroyah's Aggregate Form/Flying Form alone, attempts to reunite with his father, is killed by Destroyah's final form, and revived into the new Godzilla when his father dies and he absorbs the radiation from the surrounding area.

Junior's arc was more about growing up to become the new king of monsters. In GvMG2, he starts off as a small, cowardly baby, but has to learn to trust other creatures, which ends up with him leaving for Birth Island with his father. In GvSG, he ends up learning the lesson of not being overly trusting, since his childish curiosity leads to SpaceGodzilla attacking and kidnapping him. Finally, in GvD, he has grown into a more mature creature who has clearly been through a lot (and learned how to use his atomic breath without his dad having to step on his tail, as far as we know). He has learned how to fight to defend himself, which becomes important when he's stuck against a pissed off Destroyah, and his father is no where to be found. And at the end of Destroyah, Junior fulfills his purpose of becoming the successor to his father. This is often why I think so many fans got upset that the idea of a second series of films following Junior was scrapped in favor of the wide range of quality that was the Millenium Era.

BTW, what exactly was Minilla's arc? Learning how to use his atomic breath, which he immediately forgets how to do again in Revenge because stock footage?
Arc? Junior has no arc after GVMG.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

So Junior's character arc is that he learned how to use atomic breath? Let's get Hollywood on the phone, fast.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Junior doesn't grow as a character, he just gets older. Of course he can fight other monsters when he's bigger.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Hahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahah why do you guys bother with such bad takes
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Almost no kaiju goes through any character arcs, I mean c'mon now. Closet you'll get is Showa Godzilla's gradual transition from antagonist to full blown superhero - even then it's not really a character arc. Loads of personality? Absolutely. Going through character development? Not really, not at all like people try to make it out to be. They're monsters, who are reflections of tragedies and ideas.

Anyway, Minilla/Minya is one of my favorite Godzilla characters.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

_JNavs_ wrote: I know it may seem like I dislike him because I tried to make a case for why I preferred Junior, but Minya always had that goofy Showa charm that was funny in most scenes he was in, like when he choked out Ghidorah with his atomic ring (Or something similar)? Or getting his tail stomped, or when he played jump rope with Big Gs tail.

I forgot if they said he was a Godzilla in the film officially or not, I know they said he was adopted which made me think he wasn't of the same species but I know he has all the qualities like the tiny dorsal fins, the atomic ring (how'd he get that btw? Isn't that a radioactive trait?) and if that's the case does that mean '54 Godzilla looked like Minya at one point in his life? :lol:
Of course 54 looked like Minya.

Then a nuclear bomb happened.

People always miss that when they say Minilla is ugly and looks nothing like Godzilla

1. He wasn't mutated by the nuke.
2. He was born prematurerly by the Kamacuras breaking his egg.

Rest is spot on though.

RIP Evan.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I know it may seem like I dislike him because I tried to make a case for why I preferred Junior, but Minya always had that goofy Showa charm that was funny in most scenes he was in, like when he choked out Ghidorah with his atomic ring (Or something similar)? Or getting his tail stomped, or when he played jump rope with Big Gs tail.

Of course 54 looked like Minya.

Then a nuclear bomb happened.

People always miss that when they say Minilla is ugly and looks nothing like Godzilla

1. He wasn't mutated by the nuke.

Rest is spot on though.
There isn’t any pre-Heisei evidence to corroborate the notion that Godzilla was mutated in any way by the nuke. Remember, the island villagers have known of this creature long before any bomb was ever tested. While I know this doesn’t necessarily mean Godzilla was the same before the nuke, it does seem to point slightly in that direction.

Also keep in mind that Son of Godzilla takes place in kind of a cartoonish world; I highly doubt the filmmakers were trying to portray a premature, undeveloped animal, especially given that he goes through a growth spurt shortly after hatching and then learns to breathe fire by the end of the film. Even if he was prematurely born, that doesn’t explain the extremely short neck.

All of this was probably due to poor creature design. After all, look how Godzilla himself turned out for this movie. If I had to take a guess, I’d say they went and made the “fatherly” Godzilla suit first, then went back to the drawing board for his son. And you know what? People say Minya’s face makes him look like a different species from Godzilla, but if we’re comparing him to the deformed Godzilla he was designed to be the “son” of, he does bare a resemblance. The lack of a neck was probably a concession made to allow the suit actor to be more acrobatic, but I really don’t think it was worth how ugly it rendered the creature.

TL;DR if Minya had a proper neck and wasn’t modeled after the worst Godzilla face ever, he would’ve looked leagues better.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

He slept with my wife and I caught him under the bed. He slapped me and hit me with his donkey roar full blast...all I remember after that is his bare butt cheeks disappearing into the night......my family hasn't been the same.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:1. He wasn't mutated by the nuke.
"The nuke" most likely didn't play a part in it, though it suggested that the weather-controller's releasing caused the Kamacuras to grow larger, so it's certainly possible, albeit unconfirmed, it took a toll on poor Minya/Minilla. Likewise, Kumonga could have grown to an even bigger size thanks to it, but again, it's unconfirmed.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LockBite wrote: There isn’t any pre-Heisei evidence to corroborate the notion that Godzilla was mutated in any way by the nuke. Remember, the island villagers have known of this creature long before any bomb was ever tested. While I know this doesn’t necessarily mean Godzilla was the same before the nuke, it does seem to point slightly in that direction.

This is offical artwork from an encylcopedia depiciting 1954 Godzilla's life before the nuke.

As you can see, he has smooth skin simlar to Minya but is depicted with the classic gnarled skin in the film. The only difference between then and now is the nuke.

so, yes. There is pre-Heisei evidence Godzilla was influenced by the nuke. Also, I feel like the villagers could have known the pre Godzilla creatures before Godzilla was "born". I will admit the "premature Minilla" theory is headcanon though

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
Bonus: this came out in 1984. Way before there was a Heisei series or a Godzillasaurus

RIP Evan.