Why Does Every one like The showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Re: Why Does Every one like The showa series

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Grievous wrote: I mean...the Showa Era will always be King...because of its Legacy.

As good (& bad) as the Heisei & Millenium entries can be...they seem
to praised more for their improved effects...which is fine...but that
is a natural progression worldwide for ALL film making.

For me...the Showa era has the charm & creativity that the "modern"
eras seem to lack...mainly because most of the Heisei & Millenium
entries are just "remakes" of one or more Showa era films.

Even the MonsterVerse is essentially serving up 2 "remakes" with
KotM basically appearing to be an updated version of Gt3HM & a
new version Godzilla vs. King Kong.

Its why I personally liked the changes made to Godzilla in Shin Gojira...
because it was something different. If they didn't implement those
changes think what Shin Gojira would have been...

Basically a modern remake of The Return of Godzilla (1985).

Its why I'm willing to give the anime trilogy a pass for the most part...
mainly because it is something a little left field & different...and I
personally like different.

I mean we don't want the Godzilla series to become like the James
Bond series right? A series which has BASICALLY made the same
film over & over again...24 times.

Basically...the Showa Era is proven the best because no one can stop
copying or "raiding" it for ideas.
I personally prefer the Heisei Series to Showa, mostly because it felt like Godzilla at the height of what his franchise should be like. Not to mention a more coherent and more developed overall story, where the events of the previous films have a large impact on the next film. It felt like one great big epic story. Showa had some continuity like that, but it was mostly limited to a max of like 2 or 3 movies in mini-arcs fitting together, while feeling detached from the rest of the films. I say that Heisei set the best standard for what future Godzilla films should try to be. More character development, more amazing plot lines, more awesome visual effects, sound design, and fight choreography. Everything about it just works better for me than any of the things it recycled from the Showa era, including the kaiju themselves. The designs, the powers, the way they interacted. Just felt perfect. It has flaws, obviously. Nothing is flawless. But to me, it's the pinnacle of the Godzilla franchise.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Not to mention a more coherent and more developed overall story, where the events of the previous films have a large impact on the next film. It felt like one great big epic story. Showa had some continuity like that, but it was mostly limited to a max of like 2 or 3 movies in mini-arcs fitting together, while feeling detached from the rest of the films.
But that's not a fair assesment at all. It's like saying "I like Harry Potter better than Stephen King's novels because the former is all one big story while the latter is individual novels". If anything, an overarching story (really, timeline is a better word because there's only like two recurring characters including Godzilla) means more inconsistencies and creative limitation because you have to follow the beats and details from the last installment.
Gojirawars 03 wrote:More character development
Like...?
Gojirawars 03 wrote:more amazing plot lines
Like...?
Gojirawars 03 wrote:more awesome visual effects
Like...?
Gojirawars 03 wrote: and fight choreography.
There was fight choreography in the Heisei films? Most of the suits are so damn bulky that there's not enough movement allowed to even choreograph a simple walk forward.

Like damn, I generally don't try to break down people's opinions but like...where's the explanations? Where's the sustenance to these arguments? What characters are so brilliantly developed, what effects are so magnificent, etc.?

I'm not even on the opposite side of the coin, I like the Heisei series! My favorite film is from 1991! I just hate seeing these regurgitated arguments without any real discussion points to them. You guys are the minority opinion, let's hear some uproar! Some lengthy arguments! I wanna discuss these points, I want to see where you're coming from! I can't do that when you make simple points like "it was good, it was better, etc.".

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

T H I C C not bulky.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

zillabeast98 wrote:IMO It get's to much Love Sure It classic But Just So fake And Corny
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Grievous wrote:
zillabeast98 wrote:IMO It get's to much Love Sure It classic But Just So fake And Corny
lol if this guy ever comes back he’s gonna have so many angry and unimpressed notifications.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

KaijuCanuck wrote:lol if this guy ever comes back he’s gonna have so many angry and unimpressed notifications.
Ehh...

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I don't really think the kaiju fandom has much to be angry about...

I honestly just wanted to post that pug gif...and this was the first
opportunity I have been given since joining.
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Grievous wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:lol if this guy ever comes back he’s gonna have so many angry and unimpressed notifications.
Ehh...

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I don't really think the kaiju fandom has much to be angry about...

I honestly just wanted to post that pug gif...and this was the first
opportunity I have been given since joining.

Fair dinkum, mate.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Fair dinkum, mate.
No worries bud...

Been out for a rip lately broski?

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:Not to mention a more coherent and more developed overall story, where the events of the previous films have a large impact on the next film. It felt like one great big epic story. Showa had some continuity like that, but it was mostly limited to a max of like 2 or 3 movies in mini-arcs fitting together, while feeling detached from the rest of the films.
But that's not a fair assesment at all. It's like saying "I like Harry Potter better than Stephen King's novels because the former is all one big story while the latter is individual novels". If anything, an overarching story (really, timeline is a better word because there's only like two recurring characters including Godzilla) means more inconsistencies and creative limitation because you have to follow the beats and details from the last installment.
Gojirawars 03 wrote:More character development
Like...?
Miki Saegusa anyone?
UltramanGoji wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:more amazing plot lines
Like...?
The plots of of say, Godzilla vs Biollante, or Godzilla vs Destroyah? even King Ghidorah, as confusing as it was, was still very unique for the series.
UltramanGoji wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:more awesome visual effects
Like...?
SpaceGodzilla's Crystal Shield? King Ghidorah's suit? Mecha-King Ghidorah's suit? Biollante's puppet?!
UltramanGoji wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: and fight choreography.
There was fight choreography in the Heisei films? Most of the suits are so damn bulky that there's not enough movement allowed to even choreograph a simple walk forward.
What about the awesome fight between Godzilla and King Ghidorah? what about the brutal bloody battle of Godzilla vs Destroyah?What about Mechagodzilla's hit-and-run bombing raid attacks on Godzilla? What about Mothra and Battra reflecting their own beams off of Mothra's scale cloud and onto Godzilla? What about Godzilla getting a Ferris Wheel dropped on top of him? What about Moguera splitting into Star Falcon and Land Moguera to attack SpaceGodzilla from multiple angles? What about Godzilla and Mechagodzilla's amazing beam clash?! What about Biollante wrapping Godzilla up in vines and then trying to EAT him?! They had plenty of brilliant battles, even if they weren't all Showa-style WWE slap-fights. The choreographers got really creative in using the shapes, sizes, and abilities of the kaiju to make the battles really unique, like when Ghidorah used all three of his necks to strangle Godzilla, until Godzilla uses a nuclear pulse to blast him off (Something that Toho would even pay homage to later in the final battle of Godzilla: Final Wars). The Heisei series had brilliant fight scenes. Showa fans just hate them because they're not always just straight wrestling matches.
-Dr. Asimov

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I love Miki as much as the next guy, but her character didn't really develop that much. She was kind of the same through the series. Which is fine by me.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Maritonic wrote:I love Miki as much as the next guy, but her character didn't really develop that much. She was kind of the same through the series. Which is fine by me.
I would say she developed in her attitude towards Godzilla. She initially started out as a younger naive girl who just wanted to protect her country. But by GvsMG2, she was more sympathetic towards him, culminating in her role in GvsD.
-Dr. Asimov

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:even if they weren't all Showa-style WWE slap-fights.
And now I'm imagining the 70's Godzilla using a "Superman Punch" in a fight...

And the move would still be lame.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I love Miki as much as the next guy, but her character didn't really develop that much. She was kind of the same through the series. Which is fine by me.
I would say she developed in her attitude towards Godzilla. She initially started out as a younger naive girl who just wanted to protect her country. But by GvsMG2, she was more sympathetic towards him, culminating in her role in GvsD.
But none of that happens organically. Her attitudes simply shift according to the requirements of the plot.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:
But none of that happens organically. Her attitudes simply shift according to the requirements of the plot.
Holy shit where have you been?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: I would say she developed in her attitude towards Godzilla. She initially started out as a younger naive girl who just wanted to protect her country. But by GvsMG2, she was more sympathetic towards him, culminating in her role in GvsD.
Holy shit where have you been?
Mostly at work. We had a couple of big, complicated shows locking simultaneously. Be on the lookout for Hitler's Secret Tunnels, debuting on History on Thursday, January 3 at 9/8c! https://www.history.com/specials/hitlers-secret-tunnels
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Showa films are well liked because of several reasons, but the main reasons I can see are....

1. Nostalgia
I grew up seeing these films, and so I tend to like and watch them more than the Heisei or millennium periods. I still like the later periods, but the Showa has a familiar feeling to it.

2. Creativity and fun
The Showa era wasn't afraid to experiment, and had some amusing moments and characters. This era produced a slew of monsters for audiences, from prehistoric beasts to aliens. Their designs went all over the place, creating some visually interesting kaiju. Also, the films weren't afraid to embrace the silly. An example would be G vs Gigan. We have aliens being killed by dynamite and a drawing. In the film, Dogora, we have people being fooled by shoes placed under curtains.

3. The fights
The fights in the Shows films are a nice mix of physical and special weapons. The suits of this era were designed to allow more movement for the suit actors, allowing for more physical combat. These monster battles are action packed, and can have visually stunning effects.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:The Showa films are well liked because of several reasons, but the main reasons I can see are....

1. Nostalgia
I grew up seeing these films, and so I tend to like and watch them more than the Heisei or millennium periods. I still like the later periods, but the Showa has a familiar feeling to it.

2. Creativity and fun
The Showa era wasn't afraid to experiment, and had some amusing moments and characters. This era produced a slew of monsters for audiences, from prehistoric beasts to aliens. Their designs went all over the place, creating some visually interesting kaiju. Also, the films weren't afraid to embrace the silly. An example would be G vs Gigan. We have aliens being killed by dynamite and a drawing. In the film, Dogora, we have people being fooled by shoes placed under curtains.

3. The fights
The fights in the Shows films are a nice mix of physical and special weapons. The suits of this era were designed to allow more movement for the suit actors, allowing for more physical combat. These monster battles are action packed, and can have visually stunning effects.
The Showa era also a lot of the best photography, production design, performances and music in the whole series.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

The great Tornado Tag Team Battles from 1972 and 1973.
The first ever 2 on 1 Handicap Match from 1964.
The first ever US-Champion vs Aisa-Champion match from 1962.
The first ever no rules city center brawl from 1955.
The first ever hardcore lumberjack match from 1968.

Okay, just kidding. I would say the charm of the 50s and 60s (and yes even the 70s) can not be reproduced in a modern moive. The clothes, the cars, the haircuts, the music (even the scores without Akira Ifukubes influence) ,the monsters that weren´t afflicted with mass inertia, the great actors and the beautiful female stars of that era was... just... MAGIC!

Interessting fact: The older you become, the more interessting the showa movies get. ;)
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gailah 1966 wrote:The great Tornado Tag Team Battles from 1972 and 1973.
The first ever 2 on 1 Handicap Match from 1964.
The first ever US-Champion vs Aisa-Champion match from 1962.
The first ever no rules city center brawl from 1955.
The first ever hardcore lumberjack match from 1968.

Okay, just kidding. I would say the charm of the 50s and 60s (and yes even the 70s) can not be reproduced in a modern moive. The clothes, the cars, the haircuts, the music (even the scores without Akira Ifukubes influence) ,the monsters that weren´t afflicted with mass inertia, the great actors and the beautiful female stars of that era was... just... MAGIC!

Interessting fact: The older you become, the more interessting the showa movies get. ;)
Indeed, they truly were magic! Everything you said was pretty much my same thoughts! We need more people like you :P (also that "interesting fact" is very much a true statement :huge: )
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Considering it has some of the best production values, films, and work the entire genre has to offer, there is plenty of reason for it to be so well loved. I doubt the maker of this thread cares about that stuff though, Godzilla needs to be in serious movies like Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla and Godzilla X Megaguirus