Why Does Every one like The showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why Does Every one like The showa series

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

These 15 Holy Godzilla Films are the real deal. Like, I could watch all of them any week if I had the strength, but I'm just a mere mortal. And that's just talking about the Showa G films!
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:These 15 Holy Godzilla Films are the real deal. Like, I could watch all of them any week if I had the strength, but I'm just a mere mortal. And that's just talking about the Showa G films!
I don’t have cable in my room so I literally have these films playing all day everyday as background sound and imagery so as you’d imagine I’ve almost reached ultra instinct mode
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:These 15 Holy Godzilla Films are the real deal. Like, I could watch all of them any week if I had the strength, but I'm just a mere mortal. And that's just talking about the Showa G films!
I don’t have cable in my room so I literally have these films playing all day everyday as background sound and imagery so as you’d imagine I’ve almost reached ultra instinct mode
Noble prize PitchBlackProgress, noble prize.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:These 15 Holy Godzilla Films are the real deal.
I try to find something I like in each of the Godzilla films, although that's a lot harder for some than others. But the ones I keep revisiting over and over are the Showa entries. I'll work in one or two of the Heisei films on occasion but I don't watch my favorites from that series even half as often as I watch the Showa films. I won't get into an argument about whether they're better movies or not (they are, though) but I enjoy them so much more than anything that came after.

And it's not just nostalgia either. I grew up with the Heisei movies too. I've never been more excited for (or let down by) an upcoming movie in my life than G98. I was still a teenager when the Millennium series came to a close and I closely followed the production of each of those movies, so that nostalgia is about all I have for some of those (looking at you, Megaguirus). My appreciation for the Showa Godzilla movies simply trumps all of that.

So yeah, they are the real deal.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Terasawa wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:These 15 Holy Godzilla Films are the real deal.
I try to find something I like in each of the Godzilla films, although that's a lot harder for some than others. But the ones I keep revisiting over and over are the Showa entries. I'll work in one or two of the Heisei films on occasion but I don't watch my favorites from that series even half as often as I watch the Showa films. I won't get into an argument about whether they're better movies or not (they are, though) but I enjoy them so much more than anything that came after.

And it's not just nostalgia either. I grew up with the Heisei movies too. I've never been more excited for (or let down by) an upcoming movie in my life than G98. I was still a teenager when the Millennium series came to a close and I closely followed the production of each of those movies, so that nostalgia is about all I have for some of those (looking at you, Megaguirus). My appreciation for the Showa Godzilla movies simply trumps all of that.

So yeah, they are the real deal.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. There's also something new I find with each viewing of the Showa films, even if it's a very minor detail.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Yes, because Godzilla Raids Again, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's revenge are masterpieces of cinema. Like, I enjoy plenty of Showa movies, but from an overall quality perspective, Heisei is the best series by far. I know this forum is mostly made up of older guys who probably hate me for not calling the Showa series a flawless masterpiece, but I enjoy the Showa series in a different way.

But seriously, Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla's Revenge are both worse than Godzilla (1998).
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
Yes, because Godzilla Raids Again, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's revenge are masterpieces of cinema. Like, I enjoy plenty of Showa movies, but from an overall quality perspective, Heisei is the best series by far. I know this forum is mostly made up of older guys who probably hate me for not calling the Showa series a flawless masterpiece, but I enjoy the Showa series in a different way.

But seriously, Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla's Revenge are both worse than Godzilla (1998).
Son of Godzilla is a masterpiece of cinema actually.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

KillCrites wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:

Is it, though? Sorry, but no matter what movie he's in, I can't stand Minilla. I don't care if it's Showa Minilla or Millenium Minilla (seriously, Minilla being in Final Wars was the worst part of that movie, easily).

So I hope you're being ironic in your statement. Also, nice profile pic. Me Grimlock like you.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: Yes, because Godzilla Raids Again, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's revenge are masterpieces of cinema. Like, I enjoy plenty of Showa movies, but from an overall quality perspective, Heisei is the best series by far. I know this forum is mostly made up of older guys who probably hate me for not calling the Showa series a flawless masterpiece, but I enjoy the Showa series in a different way.

Is it, though? Sorry, but no matter what movie he's in, I can't stand Minilla. I don't care if it's Showa Minilla or Millenium Minilla (seriously, Minilla being in Final Wars was the worst part of that movie, easily).

So I hope you're being ironic in your statement. Also, nice profile pic. Me Grimlock like you.
Son of Godzilla is easily better than GVMGII, not even kidding

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I feel like the Showa series was when Toho's creators were at their most creative. Those films had the most heart, in my opinion.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Dr. Professor wrote:I feel like the Showa series was when Toho's creators were at their most creative. Those films had the most heart, in my opinion.
Gotta agree, there is just something about the 50s and 60s films that hasn't been captured since even by some of the best kaiju films that appeared after the era

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yeah Son of Godzilla is legit good. A lot of the "flaws" people hold against it aren't even issues that affect the storytelling lol

Can someone elaborate why exactly finding Minya to be ugly detracts from the characters, direction, music, effects, or any other element?
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Son of Godzilla is not the joke that a lot of people think it is but it's not a "masterpiece of cinema." The only Godzilla film that might be is the original and even that's a stretch.

While I definitely prefer the Showa films and think they're generally the best of the Godzilla movies, I don't think there's a huge disparity in quality between those entries and those that came afterwards. But I do think Son of Godzilla is a stronger movie than Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II or the other Heisei and Millennium films. For one thing it has a much tighter narrative.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr. Introspection
Ronin

Post by Mr. Introspection »

I love the Showa series so much mainly for nostalgia, but there's something special about the original films that I just can't put my finger on. There's just so much charm and creativity with this era.

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:But seriously, Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla's Revenge are both worse than Godzilla (1998).
Godzilla Raids Again is criminally underrated.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
KillCrites wrote: Son of Godzilla is a masterpiece of cinema actually.

I'm not being ironic it's a legit great film with a colorful cast of memorable characters, a fun/cute story, pretty good special effects/puppetry, and a fun lively setting. I always liked Minilla and find him to be an accurate representation of how real babies/toddlers act and he allows the movie to show a new side of Godzilla's character that was previously unexplored at the time.
Last edited by KillCrites on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

KillCrites wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:
KillCrites wrote: Son of Godzilla is a masterpiece of cinema actually.

I'm not being ironic it's a legit great film with a colorful cast of memorable characters, a fun/cute story, pretty good special effects/puppetry, and a fun lively setting. I always liked Minilla and find him to be an accurate representation of how real babies/toddlers act and he allows the movie to show a new side of Godzilla's character that was previously unexplored at the time.
Don't forget that great score, matches the mood of the film perfectly

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Besides all that, Toho’s greensman went all out for that film, the island set and all its miniature foliage is just so beautiful to look at…

I too fail to see how Minya dictates whether a movie’s good or not, I full heartedly agree with what’s been said so far, I’ll even go to the extreme and say All Monsters Attack/Godzilla’s Revenge had more heart and charm than GvMG2 :lol:

It’s one thing to not enjoy the Showa series or to even prefer the Heisei series over it, but to act like it was definitively better is a joke.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

To answer the broader topic at hand, the Showa series was many fans' first exposure to Godzilla. For better or worse, these were the films I and many others grew up with, so of course we like them.

That golden age period of the early to mid 60s also represents a very fun and colorful era for Japanese cinema as those movies represented a style and high mark of quality for Godzilla's key creators.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say I love every entry, but the showa series of Godzilla films also ran for over two decades and 15 films (and keep in mind that's only counting the Godzilla films and not all the other standalones or other works from other studios like Daiei), so expecting all of them to be good is asking too much.

But whenever I revisit the Showa Series, I tend to go for my old favorites: Gojira, Mothra Vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla Vs. Hedorah (I will defend that movie to the death!), and the two Mechagodzilla movies, and all of them offer something that keeps me glued in or I find myself appreciating the film in a whole new way. Heck, even the bad ones will have at least one thing that I look forward to seeing. I hate Godzilla Vs. Megalon, but I'll even watch that for Godzilla's dropkick and the Jet Jaguar song.

As for the old special effects, we're talking about movies that were made decades ago. Of course the visuals aren't always going to hold up, BUT, there is something charming to me that they worked within their limitations and worked their butts off to make what they could. The Godzilla movies were some of the first movies I remember watching that got me interested in how films were made because all the different techniques and technologies used to bring Godzilla to live and have him trounce through a city was so fascinating to me. Other movies that had that impact on me were Star Wars, Jim Henson's work (Dark Crystal for example), and the work of Ray Harryhausen, all of which possess special effects that probably don't seem as convincing as they would have decades ago, but they still have a wonder and magic to them that keep me coming back. I will always watch a "Making Of" Behind the Scenes doc for any of these movies, as opposed to today, where I could not care any less to see modern blockbusters where everything is CGI'd and blue screened and, as a result, doesn't seem as cool to make.

I guess to sum it up, nostalgia is a powerful drug and you never forget your first love and for many of us, the Showa series was our first love when it comes to Godzilla and kaijus in general.
Last edited by GojiDog on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:but from an overall quality perspective, Heisei is the best series by far.
What metric are we using to judge the quality? How serious they are? How much "zomg continuity" there is? The amount of cHaRaCtEr ArCs?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:Of course the visuals aren't always going to hold up,
Not from a purely technical standpoint, maybe (although the goal of these movies was never exactly verisimilitude). But in terms of design, color and composition many of these movies include dynamic and even beautiful images in their sfx sequences.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.