The Birth of the Japanese Islands: Tsuburaya's Expo '70 Mitsubishi Pavillion Footage

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pinkuu196X
Ronin

The Birth of the Japanese Islands: Tsuburaya's Expo '70 Mitsubishi Pavillion Footage

Post by Pinkuu196X »

So I recently uncovered Eiji Tsuburaya's footage from the Mitsubishi Pavilion at Expo '70. It's notable as it's the very last thing he directed and really is some of his finest FX magic. Yoshimitsu Banno has some degree of creative input into the footage as well. It was buried as a special feature in the DVD of The War At Sea From Hawaii to Malay.

As a teenager, I remember reading about "The Birth of the Japanese Islands" in Ryfle and Galbraith's books. I was always curious to see it, especially as I heard the music from Godzilla vs. Gigan came from it but I figured I'd never get to as I learned it was an exhibit.

According to Stan Hyde, who was at Expo '70 as an exchange student, each of the sequences was projected in a separate room. The flood and whirlpool sequence is absolutely Tsuburaya's grandest work with water. Yasuyuki Inoue likely engineered these effects. The whirlpool in particular is so beautifully executed as to be pretty eye-popping. I heard from Japan that Sadamasa Arikawa even returned to his role of DP just to shoot this footage, as his involvement in this kept him from being able to be the FX director for All Monsters Attack.

The volcanic eruption sequence is even more impressive, Some of this footage was re-used in Submersion of Japan. Again, that this was all done almost entirely practically is quite impressive. I believe some real volcano footage was also shot and used as background plates.

I think Tsuburaya died before the last two segments were made and Banno, Sadamasa Arikawa, Teruyoshi Nakano and Koichi Kawakita finished them. These feature miniaturized futurist concepts, mainly climate control and geoengineering. They don't look quite as polished as the previous two.

If anyone's curious to see the footage, search YouTube for "Expo '70 Mitsubishi Pavilion Exhibit - The Birth of the Japanese Islands (1970)."
Last edited by Pinkuu196X on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Re: The Birth of the Japanese Islands: Tsuburaya's Expo '70 Mitsubishi Pavillion Footage

Post by G-Matt »

And here's the video:

It is cool to finally see some of the actual footage from this. I hope one day the entire thing will surface.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: The Birth of the Japanese Islands: Tsuburaya's Expo '70 Mitsubishi Pavillion Footage

Post by edgaguirus »

That is beautiful.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Watching that, I had no idea that this was mostly all special effects work. Btw, what's going on from 5:20?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pinkuu196X
Ronin

Post by Pinkuu196X »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:01 pm Watching that, I had no idea that this was mostly all special effects work. Btw, what's going on from 5:20?
It looks like climate and geological engineering to stop natural disasters.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pinkuu196X wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:59 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:01 pm Watching that, I had no idea that this was mostly all special effects work. Btw, what's going on from 5:20?
Sure, but does it lead into a traditional story or narrative?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

For the volcano scene in particular, I can't even tell for one second where the real footage ends and the effects begin.

Pinkuu196X
Ronin

Post by Pinkuu196X »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:12 pm
Pinkuu196X wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:59 pm
Sure, but does it lead into a traditional story or narrative?
I believe those two clips were shown in two exhibit rooms themed around futuristic technology. I believe the exhibit's motif was Japan's disaster prone status and how it could be mitigated in the future.