HB Godzilla Thread - Season 2 FINALLY coming out

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

HB Godzilla Thread - Season 2 FINALLY coming out

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

After over a decade of owning the old DVDs of Season 1, Season 2 is *FINALLY* being released, but on Youtube. Oh well.

https://nerdist.com/article/70s-godzill ... -godzooky/

Would prefer a general home video release of the entire show at this point, but I'll take it. Haven't seen some of these episodes in a LOOOOOONG time.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: HB Godzilla Thread - Season 2 FINALLY coming out

Post by edgaguirus »

A home release would be nice, but I'll take them on Youtube.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I see the article called Godzooky Godzilla's nephew.

I was told by a Bureaucrat on Wikizilla, in no uncertain terms, that according to word of God on the series, the two of them were cousins.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HB Godzilla is a show I refuse to watch for personal reasons.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:14 pm HB Godzilla is a show I refuse to watch for personal reasons.
It’s not THAT bad.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:14 pm HB Godzilla is a show I refuse to watch for personal reasons.
It’s not THAT bad.
Depends on how high your tolerance levels are. Particularly for the fact that Toho was so desperate for cash that they charged an additional price for Godzilla's iconic roar... Which is simply pathetic.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:10 pm
It’s not THAT bad.
Depends on how high your tolerance levels are. Particularly for the fact that Toho was so desperate for cash that they charged an additional price for Godzilla's iconic roar... Which is simply pathetic.
How does that have anything to do with “tolerance levels”? Or “personal reasons”?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

It’s not THAT bad.
Are you implying you don't think Toho is still a bunch of greedy businessmen desperate for cash that they charge an additional price for Godzilla's iconic roar... Which is simply pathetic?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:16 pm

It’s not THAT bad.
Are you implying you don't think Toho is still a bunch of greedy businessmen desperate for cash that they charge an additional price for Godzilla's iconic roar... Which is simply pathetic?
I know that. That's why it pisses me off.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just got to the first episode of Season 2, Calico Clones... And man, the quality NOSE DIVES. Pretty sure this is the same as the torrent download I got a decade ago. Its so dull.

... And why is only 1 part of Episode 13 uploaded? WHERE IS THE REST OF SEASON 2, TOHO? Or am I missing something?''

Edit: Just realized Season 2 has the black box with "GODZILLA" in it in the corner now, covering up the old Cartoon Network logo. This is 100% for sure the old CN recordings someone did and put online way back when. Toho is legit putting out episodes that were recorded to VHS tapes in the 90s/early 00s by fans. Jesus f'n Christ.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Makes me glad I have a few good quality episodes on dvd.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am Just got to the first episode of Season 2, Calico Clones... And man, the quality NOSE DIVES. Pretty sure this is the same as the torrent download I got a decade ago. Its so dull.

... And why is only 1 part of Episode 13 uploaded? WHERE IS THE REST OF SEASON 2, TOHO? Or am I missing something?''

Edit: Just realized Season 2 has the black box with "GODZILLA" in it in the corner now, covering up the old Cartoon Network logo. This is 100% for sure the old CN recordings someone did and put online way back when. Toho is legit putting out episodes that were recorded to VHS tapes in the 90s/early 00s by fans. Jesus f'n Christ.
Wow, what an apalling lack of effort.

Not that I care. It may be Godzilla, but it's also Hanna/Barbera in the 1970s. Yuck.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:53 pm Makes me glad I have a few good quality episodes on dvd.
That's the old Season 1 DVDs. Pretty sure those are the same ones uploaded by Toho. Look good, but nothing special.

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

MM, are you sure that little black box is supposed to be covering up a Cartoon Network logo? Because that's super tiny, and I remember the logo being a little bigger than that.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am ... And why is only 1 part of Episode 13 uploaded? WHERE IS THE REST OF SEASON 2, TOHO? Or am I missing something?''
They've always uploaded the HB episodes in 3 parts.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:43 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am ... And why is only 1 part of Episode 13 uploaded? WHERE IS THE REST OF SEASON 2, TOHO? Or am I missing something?''
They've always uploaded the HB episodes in 3 parts.
I knew they were uploaded in 3 parts, but I didn't know they were updating each part on a different day.

Quote of the Year:

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'd love a proper DVD release of all of these episodes, or even a Blu Ray presentation even if there isn't much to take advantage of with the HD image.

Captain Hindsight says it would have been really cool if Toho just let them use the classic Godzilla theme and roars in the series, it would definitely go a long way towards making the whole thing feel a bit more authentic. Maybe when Toho re-dubs all of the films they can commission a whole new dub/audio mix for this series that does use all of the vintage music and roars :P
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:10 pmParticularly for the fact that Toho was so desperate for cash that they charged an additional price for Godzilla's iconic roar... Which is simply pathetic.
According to Duane Poole, the decision to not use the classic roar was probably Hanna-Barbera's. (At about 34:45 into this Kaiju Transmissions Podcast.) "They couldn't get the rights to the roar" is just silly fandom rumoring that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:50 pm MM, are you sure that little black box is supposed to be covering up a Cartoon Network logo? Because that's super tiny, and I remember the logo being a little bigger than that.
It is definitely not covering up the CN logo, nor are the uploads from fan-circulated recordings. The Season 2 episodes uploaded so far look bad probably because the masters for those episodes are bad. I don't know if Season 1 got a digital remaster before it hit DVD, but the Season 2 episodes (so far) are certainly the same masters that the Turner networks ran beginning in the 1990s. Also, the Season 2 uploads aren't correctly deinterlaced -- I only skimmed through some Season 1 uploads, but I didn't see the same kind of frequent blended frames as in the S2 uploads.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:57 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:10 pmParticularly for the fact that Toho was so desperate for cash that they charged an additional price for Godzilla's iconic roar... Which is simply pathetic.
According to Duane Poole, the decision to not use the classic roar was probably Hanna-Barbera's. (At about 34:45 into this Kaiju Transmissions Podcast.) "They couldn't get the rights to the roar" is just silly fandom rumoring that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:50 pm MM, are you sure that little black box is supposed to be covering up a Cartoon Network logo? Because that's super tiny, and I remember the logo being a little bigger than that.
It is definitely not covering up the CN logo, nor are the uploads from fan-circulated recordings. The Season 2 episodes uploaded so far look bad probably because the masters for those episodes are bad. I don't know if Season 1 got a digital remaster before it hit DVD, but the Season 2 episodes (so far) are certainly the same masters that the Turner networks ran beginning in the 1990s. Also, the Season 2 uploads aren't correctly deinterlaced -- I only skimmed through some Season 1 uploads, but I didn't see the same kind of frequent blended frames as in the S2 uploads.
Heh. So why would they add that black box to the bottom of Season 2 and not Season 1?

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Toho seems to want that black square icon slapped all over everything. Wouldn't be shocked if that's their version of a watermark.