Which Suit is the Face of the Showa Era?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which Suit is the Face of the Showa Films?

Shodai (54)
16%
Gyakushu (55)
No votes
King (62)
No votes
Mosu (64)
30%
SanDaikaiju (64, GTTHM)
No votes
Daisenso (65-66)
8%
Musuko (67)
No votes
Soshingeki (68-72)
36%
MegaroGoji (73)
2%
Meka (74)
3%
MekaGyakushu (75)
5%

Total votes: 61

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Which Suit is the Face of the Showa Era?

Post by LegendZilla »

The one downside of the Mosugoji suit is that it looks like he has jowls.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

For me, it's 1964-1966.
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

1968-1972 for me. It just has a look I think could be retconed to be in each film without being too out of place. While '54 is hard to replace and this may be a fandom sin to say, but if Toho ever went the Lucas route and "special editioned" the films for continuity, this is the design I could see working all 3 decades of the Showa era.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I think 1964 and 1968-1972 both stand up equally in this regard. The former for how iconic and recognizeable it is design wise and the latter due to how it encapsulates such a large chunk of the films. It's always either one of these that pop up in my mind when I hear "Showa".

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While Mosu is my choice, the Soshinggeki design does span more films, giving it more exposure to viewers. That could make it the suit most people think of.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I agree; my choice is between the 1964 suit and the 1968 suit, although the 1962 suit is also up there with those two.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Shoshingeki, while there is more deviation of the Godzilla design at the beginning of his career, the shoshingeki design looks like the most averaged of all the showa designs. It both looks somewhat similar to the suits before it, and blends nicely into the suits after it, I’d say it’s the best rendition of a “general” Showa look.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

DaisensoGoji. Well detailed head(s) & body, used in 2 of my favorite Showa movies, & used still for several additional Godzilla movie "water scenes".
Last edited by Red-Death Gigan on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:10 pm The one downside of the Mosugoji suit is that it looks like he has jowls.
Isn't that on purpose?

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Red-Death Gigan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:07 am DaisensoGoji. Well detailed head(s) & body, used in 2 of my favorite Showa movies, & used still for several additional Godzilla movie "water scenes".
Good taste.

I really like Nakajima's performance in those two films as well. Godzilla had a lot of personality and energy to him.
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think Soshingeki works as the face of Showa in general. runner ups are MosuGoji and than the 73-75 look.

Added in 2 minutes 5 seconds:
eabaker wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:34 pm I don't know about these days, but for a long time the fandom as a whole really seemed to regard Mosugoji as the champion Godzilla design of the Showa era. And it was certainly the one that future suits of the period would be most closely patterned on - every subsequent Showa suit is more or less a variant on Mosugoji (or at least on it's less dour modified version from GtTHM).
I remember when KingGoji was viewed as the be all in all showa suit.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:40 am
Red-Death Gigan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:07 am DaisensoGoji. Well detailed head(s) & body, used in 2 of my favorite Showa movies, & used still for several additional Godzilla movie "water scenes".
Good taste.

I really like Nakajima's performance in those two films as well. Godzilla had a lot of personality and energy to him.
I'd like to reiterate my argument that this is the wrong way to analyze this question. In terms of influence, representation, and availability of products, Shodaigoji has to be the objectively correct answer. As possibly the face of the franchise as a whole, how can it not be the face of the Showa era?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:16 pm
Good taste.

I'd like to reiterate my argument that this is the wrong way to analyze this question. In terms of influence, representation, and availability of products, Shodaigoji has to be the objectively correct answer. As possibly the face of the franchise as a whole, how can it not be the face of the Showa era?
Because ShodaiGoji is not Showa Goji. ShowaGoji is the asskicking, superhero sometimes Dad, sometimes Destroyer Godzilla that teams up with other monsters for brawls and does Kung fu.

54 Godzilla I'd argue has never been the face of the brand he's just the first Godzilla who he gets treated with respect.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Good taste.

BINGO

When you see Japanese photo or art collages of the various Godzilla designs, what is the one Showa suit you see every single time? 1954. Period.

I think people are overthinking this. The fact that now people are mentioning the 1965 suit is pretty much proof that there are people here who don't even understand the question.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:52 am
I think people are overthinking this. The fact that now people are mentioning the 1965 suit is pretty much proof that there are people here who don't even understand the question.
I intended the question to be like “which suit represents the era the best?”, and Daisenso does not fit that bill. 68 however does. It represents the era the best. 1954 is very iconic, but it does not represent what the Showa Era is. The 1954 suit cannot and does not represent the villainous days, anti-hero days and heroic days.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:52 am

Good taste.

BINGO

When you see Japanese photo or art collages of the various Godzilla designs, what is the one Showa suit you see every single time? 1954. Period.

54 gets that treatment because it is the first Godzilla not because it is the face of Godzilla. Japan is more inclined to respect what came first which is why 54 is treated the way it is.

MostGoji or SoshingekiGoji are the faces over even 53 Goji.

SoshingekiGoji is even the one who met Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's funny how this conversation keeps going despite Toho themselves answering the question time and again.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:06 am It's funny how this conversation keeps going despite Toho themselves answering the question time and again.
When has Toho said which suit is the face of the Showa era?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The version of Godzilla who appears in Daicon IV looks like Mosugoji.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:06 am It's funny how this conversation keeps going despite Toho themselves answering the question time and again.
The obvious problem here is that we're not all approaching this question in the same way, which results in different answers. There is no single answer that covers all of the angles here.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio