Mothra (1961)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Mothra (1961)

Post by Spuro »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:54 pm I guess they didn't want Mothra becoming a bigger star than Godzilla.
More accurately, making a 1961-sized-Mothra prop in scale with a Godzilla suit would have resulted in an enormous and completely unwieldy marionette.

The imago in the 1961 movie is only portrayed as big as it is because the miniatures could be scaled to the size of whatever the prop needed to be. You can’t do this with a Godzilla suit - it’s size is fixed because of the actor inside of it, so you’re left with the choice of either increasing Godzilla’s size or downsizing Mothra if you want the pair to share the screen together.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Spuro wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 pm More accurately~
I think Ed was making a pun
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 am
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:56 pm I remember reading that they downsized Mothra for M vs G.
Yes, they did, and it stuck throughout the entire Showa series.
Well they kind of HAD to do that. How was Godzilla, King Ghidorah or any other monster supposed to be in a movie with Mothra if she was depicted as being as big as she was in the first movie?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If the size from Mothra 61’ was carried over to GTTHM, Mothra’s fatass would’ve broken Rodan’s back.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Legion1979: Oh, I knew that when I answered edgaguirus's question. If there's one thing I know that's a problem with the Showa Godzilla films, it's size inconsistency. Another perfect example is Gorosaurus in between King Kong Escapes and Destroy All Monsters.

LSD Jellyfish: You got that right, my friend!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:59 pm Legion1979: Oh, I knew that when I answered edgaguirus's question. If there's one thing I know that's a problem with the Showa Godzilla films, it's size inconsistency. Another perfect example is Gorosaurus in between King Kong Escapes and Destroy All Monsters.
Is it really inconsistent when altering the size of the monsters is a conscious choice by the filmmakers? Especially when no one ever said that films like Mothra and King Kong Escapes were definitely canon in the Godzilla universe.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm
Spuro wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 pm More accurately~
I think Ed was making a pun
Yes, I was.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched this movie last night, and I wonder if this one and Matango have a small connection.

Infant Island was subjected the nuclear test, and it clearly effected the ecosystem. Those molds are mutated and have unusual properties. It makes me think that the Matango mushrooms could also be mutants produced by fallout and/or exposure to radiation. The short story Matango is based on shows them as parasitic fungus, but since this is a kaiju film, radiation could always be involved.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pmIt makes me think that the Matango mushrooms could also be mutants produced by fallout and/or exposure to radiation.
Erm, they are. The shipwrecked vacationers take refugee in an oceanographic ship that was surveying the effects of radiation on local sea life. I guess it might not be explicitly stated if the Matago are the result of tastings or not (but correct me if there is a line where somebody explicitly states that they are), but I figure most viewers would be able to put two and two together.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

It's been many years but I absolutely love Mothra 61, a good companion piece to Godzilla 54 and Mothra Vs Godzilla

the tenderness of Mothra, the Japanese mysticism that's been scorched by the Atomic age, against Godzilla's brutality, makes them a perfect thematic duo
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

KingSkeetorah
Ronin

Post by KingSkeetorah »

I can't believe I only first saw this just the other day. What a caper for the ages. What an absolute spectacle to behold. And that soundtrack!

:Mothra61: