How would you rate the Showa Kaiju films? Godzilla or Otherwise.

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: How would you rate the Showa Kaiju films? Godzilla or Otherwise.

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

10/10

Mothra
Godzilla
King Kong vs Godzilla
Son of Godzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla

9/10

Rodan
Godzilla vs Hedorah
Ebriah, Horror of the Deep

8/10

Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster
Invasion of Astro-Monster

6/10

Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla's Revenge

5/10

Godzilla vs Megalon
War of the Gargantuas

4.5/10

Godzilla vs Gigan

4/10

King Kong Escapes

Haven't seen Varan, Mysterians, Gorath, Atragon, Frankenstein or Latitude Zero.

Also they're not kaiju but honorable mentions: Battle in Outer Space 5/10, The H-Man 8/10

RIP Evan.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Here's two more:

Varan - 4/5
Space Amoeba - 3.5/5
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Here is my ranking of Showa films from my 2019 marathon. For each, I've tried to make a rating out of 10:

1. Gojira: 8.5/10
2. Destroy All Monsters: 8/10
3. Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster: 7.5/10
4. King Kong vs. Godzilla: 7.5/10
5. Terror of Mechagodzilla: 7/10
6. Invasion of Astro Monster: 7/10
7. Mothra vs. Godzilla: 7/10
8. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla: 6.5/10
9. Godzilla vs. Hedorah: 6/10
10. Godzilla Raids Again: 5.5/10
11. Godzilla vs. Gigan: 5/10
12. Son of Godzilla: 4.5/10
13. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep: 4/10
14. Godzilla vs. Megalon: 3/10
15. All Monsters Out Attack: 2/10

Outside of Godzilla:

1. Rodan: 8/10
2. Mothra: 7.5/10
3. War of the Gargantuas: 7/10
4. Frankenstein Conquers the World: 6.5/10
5. Atragon: 6.5/10
6. Varan: 6/10
7. The Mysterians: 6/10
8. Dogora: 6/10
9. Latitude Zero: 5/10
10. King Kong Escapes : 5/10
11. Gorath: 4/10
12. Space Amoeba: 4/10

Unranked:

The Three Treasures: 5/10

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Out of a ten scale,

Gojira 10
GRA 6.5
Kkvg 8
Mothra vs. Godzilla 9
Gtthm 8
Monster Zero 8.5
Sea monster 6
Son of Godzilla 8
Destroy all monsters 5
Godzilla's revenge 3 (I think it's overrated by the film critic part of the fandom and find it's ending ruined all character development of Ichiro. I don't rate it low because of the 'eww, Minya, stock footage, and kennies' complaints, I'm fine with kids movies).
Godzilla vs. Hedorah 6
Godzilla vs. Gigan 4
Godzilla vs. Megalon 5
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 7
Terror of Mechagodzilla 7.5

Mothra 9
Rodan 8
Attragon 7
Battle in outer space 6
The mysterians 7.5
Varan 6
Matango 8
Space Amoeba 7.5
King Kong escapes 7
Latitude zero 8
War in Space 7.5
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

I'll be rating this via top five. Here goes...

1, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974): This was where the Showa action was at its best being blood pumping excitement. Mechagodzilla, while not unique since doubles in some variety were common during this time, was still creative with just how many abilities it was given. The music was pretty darn funky and stood from a lot of music of its time. My personal favorite of the Godzilla movies.

2, Terror of Mechagodzilla: This had pretty interesting story which isn't common for kaiju movies in general. On top of seeing the rematch between Godzilla and his doppelganger, Katsura was a pretty tragic character just trying to help her father before becoming a tool the Simeons. In the end, the only way to be free is to kill herself. Also, Mifune was kept pretty human having a rocky relationship with the Simeons and his love for Katsura (him calling out to her before dying is one of the more memorable human moments).

2, Gojira: The allegory for nuclear weaponry was strong here. The effects of our favorite atomic kaiju, the effects on the people from horror to despair, it was very effective for a suit that honestly looks goofy nowadays. This was one of few occasions that a human was interesting as far as I'm concerned, Serizawa being reluctant to use a weapon like the Oxygen Destroyer but ultimately doing so so he can die with it so it could never be recreated.

3, Rodan (1956): This movie was all about suspense and it pretty effective at doing it. From the Meganulon being a sign of things to come, to the couple leading us to a picture we can't see clearly but can have a glimpse at what the true threat is, to Shigeru's flashback giving us the reveal to the Rodan species, this was a movie that really knew how to buildup to the main event.

5, Mothra (1961): Honestly, this movie was a nice change of pace for the common Daikaiju film. Having Mothra be provoked by Nelson kidnapping the Shobijin instead of just attacking like most kaiju did at the time was a nice change of pace.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HillyHulk wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm I'll be rating this via top five. Here goes...

1, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974): This was where the Showa action was at its best being blood pumping excitement. Mechagodzilla, while not unique since doubles in some variety were common during this time, was still creative with just how many abilities it was given. The music was pretty darn funky and stood from a lot of music of its time. My personal favorite of the Godzilla movies.

2, Terror of Mechagodzilla: This had pretty interesting story which isn't common for kaiju movies in general. On top of seeing the rematch between Godzilla and his doppelganger, Katsura was a pretty tragic character just trying to help her father before becoming a tool the Simeons. In the end, the only way to be free is to kill herself. Also, Mifune was kept pretty human having a rocky relationship with the Simeons and his love for Katsura (him calling out to her before dying is one of the more memorable human moments).

2, Gojira: The allegory for nuclear weaponry was strong here. The effects of our favorite atomic kaiju, the effects on the people from horror to despair, it was very effective for a suit that honestly looks goofy nowadays. This was one of few occasions that a human was interesting as far as I'm concerned, Serizawa being reluctant to use a weapon like the Oxygen Destroyer but ultimately doing so so he can die with it so it could never be recreated.

3, Rodan (1956): This movie was all about suspense and it pretty effective at doing it. From the Meganulon being a sign of things to come, to the couple leading us to a picture we can't see clearly but can have a glimpse at what the true threat is, to Shigeru's flashback giving us the reveal to the Rodan species, this was a movie that really knew how to buildup to the main event.

5, Mothra (1961): Honestly, this movie was a nice change of pace for the common Daikaiju film. Having Mothra be provoked by Nelson kidnapping the Shobijin instead of just attacking like most kaiju did at the time was a nice change of pace.
You did the numbers wrong.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

HillyHulk wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm I'll be rating this via top five. Here goes...

Well, I screwed this up and the thread won't let me fix it so:

1: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

2: Terror of Mechagodzilla

3: Gojira

4: Rodan

5: Mothra

Thanks for informing me, Legendzilla.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

1. Gojira
2. All Monsters Attack
3. Mothra vs Godzilla
4. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
5. King Kong vs Godzilla
6. Godzilla vs Gigan
7. Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster
8. Son of Godzilla
9. Godzilla vs Megalon
10. Terror of MechaGodzilla
11. Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
12. Destroy All Monsters
13. Monster Zero
14. Godzilla Raids Again
15. Godzilla vs Hedorah

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Well now, that's an interesting top 2.