Monster Discussion #33: Jet Jaguar

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #33: Jet Jaguar

Post by Mechagigan »

So, you know the M-11 cyborg in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah? His actor apparently posted this to Facebook...

Found it over here... the thread also has what he supposedly said along with the poster...
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... 11_bot_in/

EDIT: I can't find the original source the Reddit post is talking about, so take this with a huge grain of salt. This is probably another G16 poster leak11!!1 situation... :dizzy:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The two names go well together. It sounds very sci fi-ish.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hey I absolutely love Jet Jaguar. The comics made me love him more! If you haven't read them for a jet jaguar then you totally should now!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Heh heh, Jet Jaguar is amusing. And awesome to play with in the Pipeworks games.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

I weirdly love Jet Jaguar. Everything tells me he is stupid, but he is one of the first Godzilla characters that I encountered way back at age 7 so my inner child still adores him. I so wish Bandai would sneak a figure of him in somewhere. Maybe as an SH Figuarts? But scaled so he works well with the Ultraman, Kamen Rider and SHMA stuff?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's too bad Bandai never did a 6" JJ in the vinyl line....

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

Legion1979 wrote:It's too bad Bandai never did a 6" JJ in the vinyl line....
Who made this one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW ... IWG0RZCI3A

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I find it funny how Jet Jaguar has evolved in the eyes of the fandom over the years. Used to be that he was this lame robot from a bad movie that everybody hated. Jet Jaguar was always high on the list of "worst Godzilla monsters", almost as infamous among the fandom as Minya. He was a goofy character invented by a kid, after all, and never really did anything that would be considered "cool" in his film.

Then we get the Atari games that portray Jet Jaguar as fast and skilled martial artist, capable of beating up other kaiju not unlike a more agile version of the Jaegers that were later to come. For the first time Jet Jaguar was accepted by parts of the fandom as a cool character, and then the IDW comics come out. Now Jet Jaguar is shown exploding out of Orga's body and piloting Kiryu to take down Destoroyah. Suddenly he's n longer the goofy failure we all thought he was before, but a bona fide badass. Now the fandom likes him.

I've never seen the opinion on a kaiju change this much in such a short amount of time.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Jet Jaguar is an interesting character with a fun theme song. I never had anything against him.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I find it funny how Jet Jaguar has evolved in the eyes of the fandom over the years. Used to be that he was this lame robot from a bad movie that everybody hated. Jet Jaguar was always high on the list of "worst Godzilla monsters", almost as infamous among the fandom as Minya. He was a goofy character invented by a kid, after all, and never really did anything that would be considered "cool" in his film.

Then we get the Atari games that portray Jet Jaguar as fast and skilled martial artist, capable of beating up other kaiju not unlike a more agile version of the Jaegers that were later to come. For the first time Jet Jaguar was accepted by parts of the fandom as a cool character, and then the IDW comics come out. Now Jet Jaguar is shown exploding out of Orga's body and piloting Kiryu to take down Destoroyah. Suddenly he's n longer the goofy failure we all thought he was before, but a bona fide badass. Now the fandom likes him.

I've never seen the opinion on a kaiju change this much in such a short amount of time.
JJ has great PR. JJ has a basic story, which makes it easy to expand and build on his character. Plus, robots have always been a source of facination for people. Giant hero robots are one of the recent addition in their long film history, and JJ is a great example of the genre.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Jet had untapped potential that the games and comics were able to put to good use. Human-like? That means martial arts will make for a great fighting style. And the ability to change size? Small Jet vs kaiju-sized enemy is roughly the equivalent of wasp vs human. And then he can turn big again once his foe has been worn down a bit and deal some real heavy blows. Jet is really freaking cool on paper and it's a bit of a shame his strengths weren't fully realized in Godzilla vs Megalon.

I mean hell, imagine a jaegar that could somehow shrink its pilots along with it, and the pilots are masters of martial arts.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

KaijuFiend wrote:Jet had untapped potential that the games and comics were able to put to good use. Human-like? That means martial arts will make for a great fighting style. And the ability to change size? Small Jet vs kaiju-sized enemy is roughly the equivalent of wasp vs human. And then he can turn big again once his foe has been worn down a bit and deal some real heavy blows. Jet is really freaking cool on paper and it's a bit of a shame his strengths weren't fully realized in Godzilla vs Megalon.

I mean hell, imagine a jaegar that could somehow shrink its pilots along with it, and the pilots are masters of martial arts.
Jet Jaguar essentially is a comic character by nature. He actually translates better to comics or video games then most of the other Kaiju. He is a lot less silly seeming in a comic book where his colorful 2d seeming super hero nature is a plus. Mix that with some decent writing by IDW and he stands out from the pack making us suddenly appreciate him more.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Well, I guess if you have to bump a thread that hasn't seen the light in almost five years, this is the kind of thing you should post.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

It’s so ridiculous and I love it
He Jock it Made of Steel

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

1) Those pages are incredible and I love this manga more and more each time I see something from it. :lol:

2) How the hell has no one had anything to say about Jet Jaguar in five years? Shame on us all.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Jet Jaguar needs his own movie. The character has so much potential.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Comics like that are why we love JJ.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I really want someone to pitch the jet jaguar salary man concept to Matt Frank. I wouldn’t expect anything to come from it, but that’s who knows, anything can happen. And the only way I see that idea getting off the ground would be some kind of fan work.
He Jock it Made of Steel