What if Toho did co-productions more often?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LegendZilla
Sazer

What if Toho did co-productions more often?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hello once again, LegendZilla here with another topic. Everyone around here should be aware of the close ties Toho had with American producer Henry G. Saperstein and his company UPA. The films they worked on together were some of the most memorable in the genre, with just a few examples being Monster Zero and War of the Gargantuas. In addtion, Toho's two Kong films form the Showa era were co-productions as well, with KKVG being co-produced by John Beck and none other than Rankin Bass Productions with King Kong Escapes. I think that if this had been a perfect world, Toho would've been able to form more ties with various lower-tier western film studios to co-produce films with, including Godzilla. Toho's reasoning for convincing producers from overseas could've been that producing films together in Japan could've helped their production partners avoid competition with the Hollywood big leagues.

Do you think that Toho's sci-fi films could've benefitted if this had really been the case? If so, what studios would've realistically been up for the task? If I were to guess, maybe AIP, which in reality distributed both DAM and Hedorah could've been willing to actually step in and produce films with Toho, namely the aforementioned ones. Since Tsuburaya productions was set to co-produce the unmade Godzilla Vs Redmoon, imagine if instead of letting their plans to work with Toho go to waste, they actually helped with Godzilla Vs Gigan?

If this really was the case, how much percentage of an increase do you think Toho's film budgets would've increased by? Also, do you think this could've helped the quality of the movies themselves? If so, fill me in on what you believe could've been.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.