Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

Bride of Godzilla (1956)
3%
The Volcano Monsters (1957)
3%
Continuation: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)
7%
Frankenstein vs. Godzilla (1964)
3%
Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah (1966)
7%
Batman vs. Godzilla (1966)
14%
All Monsters Attack Directive (1968)
2%
Godzilla vs. Hitodah (1972)
No votes
Godzilla vs. Hedorah 2 (1972)
5%
Godzilla vs. Redmoon (1972)
10%
Godzilla vs. the Space Monsters: Earth Defence Directive (1972)
5%
The Return of King Ghidorah (1972)
7%
Giant Monsters Converge on Okinawa! Showdown in Zanpamisaki (1974)
2%
Godzilla vs. Gargantua (1978)
10%
King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla (1978)
No votes
A Space Godzilla (1979)
7%
Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress (1979)
14%
Other
2%

Total votes: 59

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Re: Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

Post by H-Man »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 pm Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress sounds like a lot of fun and I love the design TK came up with on the main site. A rogue robot controlled by a rebel group is a concept unique to the Godzilla franchise and I'd love to see it in a future film.
Ivo-goji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 pm Godzilla vs the Asuka Fortress is intriguing as a potential sequel to the Mechagodzilla Duology. Interpol tracks down the remnants of the space men's technology, only for their work to be used in a conspiracy to overthrow the Japanese government by creating a new bionic monster to terrorize the world. Godzilla gets drawn into the conflict- perhaps the weapon is developed with the pretense of protecting the nation from him- and ends up being instrumental to saving Japan from insurgents. The opportunity for political commentary is obvious, but the film could also have been about worldbuilding; how do people adjust to a life of constant warfare with kaiju and aliens? Would they blame their leaders? Would they abuse the advanced technology produced by these wars? It's a concept with a lot of potential.
I have a question of grand ignorance. I was always under the impression that the runner-up in the writing contest that gave us Godzilla vs. Biollante was a Godzilla vs. Skynet idea that eventually became Gunhed. But apparently that was actually Godzilla vs. Asuka Fortress that was pitched in the 1970s. Is that right? Or is there a case of convergent evolution involved? Can someone clarify this for me?

CrimsonBloodX
Interpol Agent

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Godzilla vs Redmoon (original title: "Godzilla - Redmoon - Erabus - Hafun: No Man's Land of the Monsters"). I just think the idea of the story sounds very interesting. It's one of those examples of Godzilla having to step in and save the day when humans screw up. In this case, the humans accidently killed Hafun, the offspring of Redmoon and Erabus, causing them to go on a rampage. I like that idea. Though I'm glad Godzilla vs Gigan was made instead because that movie is a lot more personal to me since it was the first Japanese Godzilla movie I ever saw, but if there is one scrapped Godzilla movie from the Showa era that I would like to see get made, it's this one.

My second choice would be Godzilla vs Hedorah 2.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

H-Man wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am [I was always under the impression that the runner-up in the writing contest that gave us Godzilla vs. Biollante was a Godzilla vs. Skynet idea that eventually became Gunhed. But apparently that was actually Godzilla vs. Asuka Fortress that was pitched in the 1970s. Is that right? Or is there a case of convergent evolution involved? Can someone clarify this for me?
Asuka Fortress was floated around by Showa era regular Shinichi Sekizawa a good ten years before the writing contest. The proposed Godzilla sequel that became Gunhed was originally written by James Bannon, an American.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

godjacob
G-Grasper

Post by godjacob »

Things like Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress would probably be more objectively interesting films, but come on I can't not vote 60s Batman taking on Showa Godzilla that is just a skreeonking trip I want in my veins.

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Count me in the minority who wouldn't like Batman vs Godzilla.

I'd really like to see Asuka Fortress. Redmoon and All Monsters Attack Directive are good runner-ups.

godjacob
G-Grasper

Post by godjacob »

The two mad lads who voted for Bride of Godzilla XD

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Toss up between Batman meets Godzilla for sheer audacity (though hopefully with a different ending), and Asuka Fortress for appeal and unique design for plot.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

Interesting that we kinda/sorta got Asuka Fortress years and years later with Mechagodzilla City.
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:39 am Interesting that we kinda/sorta got Asuka Fortress years and years later with Mechagodzilla City.
Combined with Berserk, too. If only, Mechagodzilla actually showed up instead of giant metal tiddies.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
H-Man wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 pm Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress sounds like a lot of fun and I love the design TK came up with on the main site. A rogue robot controlled by a rebel group is a concept unique to the Godzilla franchise and I'd love to see it in a future film.
Ivo-goji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 pm Godzilla vs the Asuka Fortress is intriguing as a potential sequel to the Mechagodzilla Duology. Interpol tracks down the remnants of the space men's technology, only for their work to be used in a conspiracy to overthrow the Japanese government by creating a new bionic monster to terrorize the world. Godzilla gets drawn into the conflict- perhaps the weapon is developed with the pretense of protecting the nation from him- and ends up being instrumental to saving Japan from insurgents. The opportunity for political commentary is obvious, but the film could also have been about worldbuilding; how do people adjust to a life of constant warfare with kaiju and aliens? Would they blame their leaders? Would they abuse the advanced technology produced by these wars? It's a concept with a lot of potential.
I have a question of grand ignorance. I was always under the impression that the runner-up in the writing contest that gave us Godzilla vs. Biollante was a Godzilla vs. Skynet idea that eventually became Gunhed. But apparently that was actually Godzilla vs. Asuka Fortress that was pitched in the 1970s. Is that right? Or is there a case of convergent evolution involved? Can someone clarify this for me?
Probably convergent evolution.