Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which do you prefer?

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
49%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
51%

Total votes: 51

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Re: Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films

Post by PineappleProducer »

I remember when I was a kid, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was the second Godzilla film I had ever seen, and I loved it to bits. When I got Terror of Mechagodzilla a few years later, I thought it was complete and utter crap. Granted, this was also back in the days when watching a Godzilla movie consisted of skipping straight to the fight scenes and watching nothing more. But one fateful day, I decided to actually sit down and watch the movie in it's entirety. And over the years I have grown an appreciation for it. It's not a bad movie by any means, but I still personally enjoy Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla more.

As a side note, is there really no one here that likes Miyarabi's Prayer? I catch myself looking it up on YouTube and listening to it occasionally. :lol:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

PineappleProducer wrote:I remember when I was a kid, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was the second Godzilla film I had ever seen, and I loved it to bits. When I got Terror of Mechagodzilla a few years later, I thought it was complete and utter crap. Granted, this was also back in the days when watching a Godzilla movie consisted of skipping straight to the fight scenes and watching nothing more. But one fateful day, I decided to actually sit down and watch the movie in it's entirety. And over the years I have grown an appreciation for it. It's not a bad movie by any means, but I still personally enjoy Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla more.

As a side note, is there really no one here that likes Miyarabi's Prayer? I catch myself looking it up on YouTube and listening to it occasionally. :lol:
*Raises hand*
I have the ost, and I quite frequently listen to it.
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

PineappleProducer wrote:As a side note, is there really no one here that likes Miyarabi's Prayer? I catch myself looking it up on YouTube and listening to it occasionally. :lol:
I like it too. Well, the movie version at least. The record version is a bit too slow for my taste.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Wow, Terror is just slightly edging out Mechagodzila. Who will win? Who shall TAKE THE GLORY (of a bunch of internet nerds)!!!!!!!

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I love the Attack Mechagodzilla song by the same performer, though I've had trouble finding it online lately

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

^Yeah, After I managed to find it a second time, I wasted no time in converting the YouTube video to an MP3 file, so I won't have to worry about it vanishing on me again.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Mechagigan wrote:I love the Attack Mechagodzilla song by the same performer, though I've had trouble finding it online lately
You're welcome.

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

G-Matt wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:I love the Attack Mechagodzilla song by the same performer, though I've had trouble finding it online lately
You're welcome.
Not in the U.S., we're not; "This content is not available in your country." ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Zarm wrote:Not in the U.S., we're not; "This content is not available in your country." ;)
Oh. Well then, how about this?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

G-Matt wrote:
Zarm wrote:Not in the U.S., we're not; "This content is not available in your country." ;)
Oh. Well then, how about this?
Same message. "This video contains content form Victor Entertainment, Inc. It is not available in your country." (But the effort is appreciated nonetheless!)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I'm buying a boat so I can sail to international waters and listen to Attack MechaGodzilla.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Neck in neck. It's interesting to see how close this is. I wonder how similar the result would be for the Kiryu saga?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I... sincerely doubt it would be similar. :) There aren't that many people on Earth that like Tokyo S.O.S. ;)

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Zarm wrote:I... sincerely doubt it would be similar. :) There aren't that many people on Earth that like Tokyo S.O.S. ;)
(Raises hand) Um, I like it. :D
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Zarm wrote:I... sincerely doubt it would be similar. :) There aren't that many people on Earth that like Tokyo S.O.S. ;)
Theyre both trash unfit for viewing basically
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Annnnnnnddddddd there goes my opinion :lol:

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
I like both actually! Although I prefer Tokyo SOS, it's my second favourite after GMK.

Edit: second favourite millennium film.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla for me. I like TOMG, but it just seems off with it's tone. GvMG is just all around a fun adventure and a great movie, that knows when to be serious.
TOMG tries to be dark, but it's too silly to be truly serious akin to G54 and RoG, and it's too serious to be silly like the other 70s movies.
That and I just generally like GvMG's monster fights more, and TOMG has better human characters, but not by too much.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

KaijuCanuck wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: (Raises hand) Um, I like it. :D
I like both actually! Although I prefer Tokyo SOS, it's my second favourite after GMK.

Edit: second favourite millennium film.
Nice to see some positive feedback for once :huge: . Both Against and SOS are in my top five.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, easily!

GvMG'74 is one of my all-time favorite Godzilla films, easily one of the most fun, engaging, and just all-around enjoyable films in the whole genre. Great action, memorable characters, a catchy score, a tight and zippy story, plus some really wonderful suit and miniature work. :)

I've never cared for Terror of Mechagodzilla. While my opinion of the film has improved considerably in recent years, it remains IMO a bland, colorless, half-hearted effort with really the sole bright spot in the story being Hirata's performance as Mafune and the monster action (and, as I've said elsewhere, as someone who watches these movies for the stories that's really not enough to save this for me). A middle-of-the-pack film at best for me.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Doing all the Mechagodzilla films.

Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II
Tokyo SOS
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Wow, VERY much disagree there!

I'd rank them:

1. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
2. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
4. Terror of Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

With Tokyo S.O.S. and ToMG being interchangeable dependent upon my mood.