Kong (Monsterverse) vs Leatherback

For the discussion of all fantasy matches, Toho or otherwise. To post, you must join the FM Usergroup.
Nagoda
Futurian

Post by Nagoda »

There was one for 2005 Kong, so how about one with Monsterverse Kong?

Rules: Taking place in Hong Kong.
GvK Kong
Kong’s axe is up for grabs in the center of the city for whoever gets to it first.
The axe is not charged.

Result: I think Kong has this one. Leatherback is bulky, and he’s a bit slow compared to the more acrobatic and strategic fighter that is Kong. Even without the axe, I think Kong’s blows will eventually overwhelm the lighter monster, especially since he has more areas to hit with how wide Leatherback is. Plus, we see that Leatherback is more of a brute in his attacks. Sure he used the EMP to stop Striker, but that isn’t going to do anything against Kong. Kong was smart enough to use the environment to his advantage, climbing up a building and causing a distraction to ambush his enemy. Once the Axe does come into play, it’s over for Leatherback. Although it also depends on who grabs the axe first, Kong is most likely to get there first with his faster maneuverability. As long as Kong can keep the fight to the city, he’ll take this one. If he gets dragged into the ocean, that’s his fault.
A reminder to watch Chouseishin Gransazers.
_______
A semi-talented Chibi who is always tired.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Kong (Monsterverse) vs Leatherback

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Kong wouldn’t even need the axe, Leatherback is far more frail than him and much less skilled at combat. Leatherback just swings his weight around while Kong is more than capable of fighting foes heavier than himself through skill and agility. A good punch or two from Kong would probably leave Leatherback’s face a crater.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hand to hand, Leatherback takes this no problem. PR kaiju can shrug off blunt impacts all day, so Kong would struggle to do any damage. With the axe, it becomes a different story. Leatherback will probably still get a hit or two in, but Kong can easily just play hit and run while he gradually hacks his lumbering enemy apart.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Kong's gonna emerge the victor here. Leatherback is a strong fighter and is at least smart enough to use objects in the environment to his advantage, but he's nowhere near as fast, agile or intelligent as Kong.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:22 pm Hand to hand, Leatherback takes this no problem. PR kaiju can shrug off blunt impacts all day, so Kong would struggle to do any damage. With the axe, it becomes a different story. Leatherback will probably still get a hit or two in, but Kong can easily just play hit and run while he gradually hacks his lumbering enemy apart.
Even if Leatherback can shrug off blunt force trauma, how exactly is that going to help him win against Kong? He's a pretty mediocre fighter and only got like 3 hits in before getting his guts spilled out. Kong's much more agile and better of a fighter than Gipsy was, and she was absolutely pulverizing Leatherback. There's no way Leatherback would be able to even touch Kong even in a hand to hand fight before Kong inevitably figures out a way to kill him. Even though he already has his axe available, he's shown that he'll absolutely use makeshift weapons if the opportunity presents itself (boat propeller, boulders, trees, etc). Kong could ambush Leatherback from atop a building and harpoon him through the head with a radio tower, lol.

With the axe, Leatherback's life expectancy drops dramatically. Even if Leatherback gets it first, I have no doubt Kong could disarm him of the weapon, then disarm him literally.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:00 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:22 pm Hand to hand, Leatherback takes this no problem. PR kaiju can shrug off blunt impacts all day, so Kong would struggle to do any damage. With the axe, it becomes a different story. Leatherback will probably still get a hit or two in, but Kong can easily just play hit and run while he gradually hacks his lumbering enemy apart.
Even if Leatherback can shrug off blunt force trauma, how exactly is that going to help him win against Kong? He's a pretty mediocre fighter and only got like 3 hits in before getting his guts spilled out. Kong's much more agile and better of a fighter than Gipsy was, and she was absolutely pulverizing Leatherback. There's no way Leatherback would be able to even touch Kong even in a hand to hand fight before Kong inevitably figures out a way to kill him. Even though he already has his axe available, he's shown that he'll absolutely use makeshift weapons if the opportunity presents itself (boat propeller, boulders, trees, etc). Kong could ambush Leatherback from atop a building and harpoon him through the head with a radio tower, lol.

With the axe, Leatherback's life expectancy drops dramatically. Even if Leatherback gets it first, I have no doubt Kong could disarm him of the weapon, then disarm him literally.
Fair assessment. You're right, Kong's skill, agility, and especially intelligence give him the edge here with or without the axe. He would have to mess up pretty badly for Leatherback to beat him, and that isn't likely to happen.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Leatherback is definitely stronger than Kong is, but he also doesn't really know how to use that strength (unless he's fighting Cherno Alpha). Kong does make use of what little strength he has, and he also uses objects in his environment to superior effect. Combined with just being the better overall fighter, and I'd say he takes this without too much issue.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.