The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by NSZ »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:28 pm So, question since it seems like this is being discussed more and more in some circles: how would you guys feel if the franchise brought in Paleozoic and Cenozoic animals in the films? Yeah i know they've been in games and other stuff already, but that's different from the movies themselves. A piece of me kinda does want to see some Gorgonopsids or Wooly Mammoths, Smilodon's, Megalodon's etc... buut, this franchise is called Jurassic Park and has been focused on dinosaurs since it's conception, so i'm kinda split.
Well, Lystrosaurus is confirmed for Dominion, so that really only leaves Cenozoic, and to be perfectly honest, I'm just not interested in that era getting represented because outside of Uintatheres and Chalicotheres, prehistoric mammals just ain't unique enough for me, and Megalodon would be a rather redundant inclusion as that would just become a retread of The Meg.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Yeah, there's really not a lot of unique species outside of Miocene or island weirdos.

ANY other aquatic apex predator would be stupid. I can tolerate like icthyosaur pods attacking people or a single pleisosaur but the Mosasaurus that's mainly been a cameo in every post-2015 piece of media AND Megalodon/Basilosaurus/Dunkelosteus/whatever people want also running around? That's just ridiculous, especially finding reasons for our cast to be near water for it

Added in 30 seconds:
I'm down for paleozoic stuff tho. Except Carboniferous bugs, that's a bit too far out the wheelhouse.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

NSZ wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:54 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:28 pm So, question since it seems like this is being discussed more and more in some circles: how would you guys feel if the franchise brought in Paleozoic and Cenozoic animals in the films? Yeah i know they've been in games and other stuff already, but that's different from the movies themselves. A piece of me kinda does want to see some Gorgonopsids or Wooly Mammoths, Smilodon's, Megalodon's etc... buut, this franchise is called Jurassic Park and has been focused on dinosaurs since it's conception, so i'm kinda split.
Well, Lystrosaurus is confirmed for Dominion, so that really only leaves Cenozoic, and to be perfectly honest, I'm just not interested in that era getting represented because outside of Uintatheres and Chalicotheres, prehistoric mammals just ain't unique enough for me, and Megalodon would be a rather redundant inclusion as that would just become a retread of The Meg.
No love for that other meg then, the Megatherium?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:15 pm
NSZ wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:54 pm
No love for that other meg then, the Megatherium?
The sloth that tried its hand at being a bear? Eh, can't say I'm a member of its admittedly massive fanclub.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 am I'm also here to talk about Camp Cretaceous. I am really liking it, and am most of the way through season three, so I want to mention two things in particular.

1. Yaz's ghost story about how she read that the owner of the park broke his ankle and was eaten alive by Compies made my day. Rarely has the book canon been referenced in the movie canon, and as a fan of the novel I felt incredibly rewarded when she said that.

2. **Potential spoilers, so I'll tag them if I need to** Scorpius rex is the best hybrid. It is ugly and unpolished, and unlike the Indominus and Indoraptor it gives us something different. In my opinion, the Indominus and Indoraptor are pretty boring. They don't really bring interesting new features to the table except for how smart they are. Compare that to the Scorpius, who climbs trees, has a fascination with fire, and shoots poisonous barbs. This thing is unlike anything else in the franchise so far, and I love it.
I do agree with the Scorpius Rex being unique even though I love the Indoraptor with all my heart. Honestly they should do what they did to Scorpius rex, and that is doing something unique without going over the top unlike the hybrid toys line
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

As a huge fan of the Orginal film I still think the world needs a streaming series version closer to the orginal novel.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 am As a huge fan of the Orginal film I still think the world needs a streaming series version closer to the orginal novel.
The novel is super overrated. It’s mostly just the gore people talk about it for.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SoggyNoodles2016

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:39 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 am As a huge fan of the Orginal film I still think the world needs a streaming series version closer to the orginal novel.
The novel is super overrated. It’s mostly just the gore people talk about it for.
I also feel like the more fleshed out park and corporate intrigue is neat but yeah, I vastly prefer Spielberg's take.

RIP Evan.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:39 pmThe novel is super overrated.
I finally read it last summer, and yeah, it was not good. First one hundred pages or so had some really intriguing setup, but the rest is a pretentious bore, and the prose is mostly mediocre. The movie is much better.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:46 pm
I finally read it last summer, and yeah, it was not good. First one hundred pages or so had some really intriguing setup, but the rest is a pretentious bore, and the prose is mostly mediocre. The movie is much better.
Yeah, I've heard people talk about all the depth and nuance that was lost in adapting to the screen, and if anything I'd say it was the opposite.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

eabaker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:47 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Yeah, I've heard people talk about all the depth and nuance that was lost in adapting to the screen, and if anything I'd say it was the opposite.
The movie is more nuanced by definition. It’s able to get the same points across without the black and white morality or long periods of nonstop exposition.

I’m pretty sure it’s just purists of “the book is always better” type looking for ways to justify it being better than the movie. Don’t get me wrong, I think the novels that movies are based off are are better most of the time, but there are exceptions.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The book did a better job of showing how thoroughly Hammond failed to control the dinosaurs and the park. We get dinosaurs escaping from the island, dinosaurs breeding all over the island*, multiple workmen killed, etc. The movie mostly makes everything hinge on Dennis doing what he did, but one lone act of Chaos isn't really enough, is it? Of course the park should be falling apart at the seams, how in the world would so arrogant a project not be?

* The movie does very briefly touch on this, but it goes nowhere. One of my favorite moments in the book is the big revelation that the park security system was only programmed to alert the staff if it finds fewer dinosaurs than expected, not more. It's a simple, believable oversight, and one that instantly shatters the illusion of control once Ian points it out.

Overall, though, I agree that the movie streamlines things very effectively, trimming away a lot of fat while also making the finale much more entertaining.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

some of y'all never seen walking with beasts

cenozoic had lots of incredible animals
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Don’t even get me talking about the Lost World Novel. I did not that, at all.
For Emperor and Empire!

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Voyager wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:01 pm Don’t even get me talking about the Lost World Novel. I did not that, at all.
I'm with you there. I didn't even bother finishing the whole book, and actually consider the movie to be better.
Last edited by Leviarex on Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Oh I vastly prefer the Lost World movie to the novel. The novel has some really neat ideas and concepts for sure but yeah the novel leaves me feeling a bit cold.

JP the movie completely shafts some of the novels best characters. That's my biggest gripe. Muldoon and especially Genero get the shit end of the stick. Genero actually has the best character arc in the whole novel and gets transformed into one note dinosaur fodder in the film version. Not to mention several of my favorite scenes also being removed for the film. It also removes a lot of Hammond's complicity in the fall of the park turning him into a kindly old grandpa type which novel Hammond most definitely is not. If fact it completely changes the personality of several key characters. That's typically considered a cardinal sin of book to film adaptations but for some reason Jurassic Park always gets a pass.

It's a novel about the horror of science gone wrong. The film is all about "look at our fancy dinosaurs".

Yeah the novel gets bogged down by chapters full of nothing but technical talk but you could skip those and not effect the overall story much at all.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think I may be the only one here who loves both the novel and the movie. :lol:

I gotta give preference to the movie though. It is, after all, my second-favorite movie of all time (beaten out by Gojira). That's tough for any novel to beat, no matter how much I like it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Nah, you're not alone. I love both, too, but my overall preference is definitely for the movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Season 4 of Camp Creatceous confirmed for December 3rd.

And the official listing image basically confirms everything we could have hoped and more
Spoiler:

RIP Evan.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:58 am Season 4 of Camp Creatceous confirmed for December 3rd.

And the official listing image basically confirms everything we could have hoped and more
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, Spino'a ba-

Wait, is that a Robo dog in the corner!?