Page 21 of 22

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:15 pm
by G2000
_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Shin for what it was.

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like a previous season or something. This kid Shingi's dad is an EVA Boss, the woman that saved him seems to dig him a bit, and Angels are a constant threat.

Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.


Like the others have said, things get gradually revealed as you go along

Are you watching the original ADV dub or the turgid Netflix dub? The only good thing about the Netflix one is that it makes fujoshits burst into flames; otherwise the voice acting is far weaker IMO (but don’t let me deter you lol)

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:And the plot, is it good? Will it keep me interested for multiple seasons and the 2 films? Or are there tons of filler eps like later episodes of Shippuden?


There’s literally only one season lol, it’s not very long at all.

There’s 26 episodes plus the two-part End of Evangelion, and then there’s the three (soon to be four as the final film is released next year) Rebuild films which start out similar to the show but begins to diverge in a major way in the second film, becoming nigh-unrecognizable by 3.0

But yes, the plot is good and pretty engaging in my opinion.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm
by Mr_Goji_and_Watch
Just don't be a pleb about the ending, watch it and then watch EOE. The latter isn't a replacement.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm
by _JNavs_
G2000 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Shin for what it was.

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like a previous season or something. This kid Shingi's dad is an EVA Boss, the woman that saved him seems to dig him a bit, and Angels are a constant threat.

Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.


Like the others have said, things get gradually revealed as you go along

Are you watching the original ADV dub or the turgid Netflix dub? The only good thing about the Netflix one is that it makes fujoshits burst into flames; otherwise the voice acting is far weaker IMO (but don’t let me deter you lol)

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:And the plot, is it good? Will it keep me interested for multiple seasons and the 2 films? Or are there tons of filler eps like later episodes of Shippuden?


There’s literally only one season lol, it’s not very long at all.

There’s 26 episodes plus the two-part End of Evangelion, and then there’s the three (soon to be four as the final film is released next year) Rebuild films which start out similar to the show but begins to diverge in a major way in the second film, becoming nigh-unrecognizable by 3.0

But yes, the plot is good and pretty engaging in my opinion.


Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 pm
by Mr_Goji_and_Watch
_JNavs_ wrote:Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


That's all it was ever meant to be

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 pm
by miguelnuva
_JNavs_ wrote:[q
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 pm
by goji89
miguelnuva wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:[q
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.


:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 pm
by miguelnuva
goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:[q
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.


:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.


No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 pm
by goji89
miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.


:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.


No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.


Im sorry, but I read that and it just felt like a zing moment...... :( .

But yeah I've known about that too. Has he explained why?

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 pm
by UltramanGoji
goji89 wrote:Has he explained why?


I mean...have you watched the show?

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 pm
by goji89
UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:Has he explained why?


I mean...have you watched the show?


No, what's it about?

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:41 pm
by UltramanGoji
goji89 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:Has he explained why?


I mean...have you watched the show?


No, what's it about?


Lot of heavy themes about life and...stuff. I won't spoil it in case you want to watch it sometime, but it gets super heavy at times (can't really think of a better word to use) and after you watch it, you really start to see how working on something like that can be so mentally draining.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 pm
by goji89
UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I mean...have you watched the show?


No, what's it about?


Lot of heavy themes about life and...stuff. I won't spoil it in case you want to watch it sometime, but it gets super heavy at times (can't really think of a better word to use) and after you watch it, you really start to see how working on something like that can be so mentally draining.


Are they those huge Gundams that transform into dinosaurs?

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:41 pm
by Stump Feet
That's Transformers: Beast Wars you twit

EVA's about a boy who fights ET's while inside his own mom.

The main character's internal conflicts usually revolve around whether or not he wants to run away, or jerk it to unconscious girls

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:42 pm
by _JNavs_
So far what I've gotten from the first 2 episodes is, Ms. Misato is super hot.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 am
by Rody
_JNavs_ wrote:Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.

I think the idea is to put the audience into Shinji's headspace. Shinji's had no communication with his dad, and had no prior knowledge of the EVA program*; so he, and the audience, have no idea what's going on after suddenly being thrust into the middle of a crisis.

goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:
:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.


No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.


Im sorry, but I read that and it just felt like a zing moment...... :( .

But yeah I've known about that too. Has he explained why?


I think it's been fairly well documented that Anno's bouts of depression greatly influenced the show's design and direction. I get the impression the franchise has been both catharsis and catalyst for him, at different times in their history.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:24 am
by omgitsgodzilla
_JNavs_ wrote:So far what I've gotten from the first 2 episodes is, Ms. Misato is super hot.

Image

Honestly she's one of my favorite characters in anything though

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm
by SoggyNoodles2016
Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.




*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:53 pm
by LegendZilla
Would any of you be willing to address the most popular criticisms of this show? How would those of you who are fans of this franchise counter them?

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:36 pm
by goji89
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.




*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.


It's Lilith you bastard.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:37 pm
by ManuJM1997
goji89 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.




*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.


It's Lilith you bastard.


Pfff, Rei is best girl for you?

Casual~