Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by Jetty_Jags »

My thoughts. I don't intend to reveal literal spoilers (so I consider it spoiler free). I will, however, talk about the film's overall place in the franchise, and considering how much of this movie works as a meta narrative. If you are super concerned about spoilers don't read this review.
Spoiler:
Well, I don't know what I expected but it certainly wasn't this, which is par for the course for Anno. I also recognize that a complete rebuild re-watch is required to fully understand how these movies work together, and build off one another. That being said, my most immediate reaction to Thrice Upon a Time is that it is the reaffirmation of the tv show's original ending, and a call to the fandom to finally let go and move on. Not that the ultimate conclusion is antithetical to the series' previous messages, in fact I'd argue the moral lesson is one of the few consistencies that transcends all Eva properties. Rather, just as EoE was a reaction to the original series and the following it incurred, Thrice Upon a Time is a reaction to all post NGE media, and its larger community. The first act being a direct conclusion both narratively and developmentally to the ending of 3.0. The second act being so indulgent of Anno's idiosyncrasies, I can't help but see it as anything other than a pastiche of the franchise at its most exaggerated. The third act being a clear vindication of the original last two episodes, defending there stylistic integrity, and harmonizing the positive optimism in the show's ending moments. This is not to say Thrice attacks the nihilistic/oppressive optimism that persisted through EoE and beyond, but acknowledges the importance of these tonal shifts for their time, yet gracefully calls the viewer back to end it all once more, the way it should have been done 25 years ago, Thrice upon a time.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:17 am My thoughts. I don't intend to reveal literal spoilers (so I consider it spoiler free). I will, however, talk about the film's overall place in the franchise, and considering how much of this movie works as a meta narrative. If you are super concerned about spoilers don't read this review.
Spoiler:
Well, I don't know what I expected but it certainly wasn't this, which is par for the course for Anno. I also recognize that a complete rebuild re-watch is required to fully understand how these movies work together, and build off one another. That being said, my most immediate reaction to Thrice Upon a Time is that it is the reaffirmation of the tv show's original ending, and a call to the fandom to finally let go and move on. Not that the ultimate conclusion is antithetical to the series' previous messages, in fact I'd argue the moral lesson is one of the few consistencies that transcends all Eva properties. Rather, just as EoE was a reaction to the original series and the following it incurred, Thrice Upon a Time is a reaction to all post NGE media, and its larger community. The first act being a direct conclusion both narratively and developmentally to the ending of 3.0. The second act being so indulgent of Anno's idiosyncrasies, I can't help but see it as anything other than a pastiche of the franchise at its most exaggerated. The third act being a clear vindication of the original last two episodes, defending there stylistic integrity, and harmonizing the positive optimism in the show's ending moments. This is not to say Thrice attacks the nihilistic/oppressive optimism that persisted through EoE and beyond, but acknowledges the importance of these tonal shifts for their time, yet gracefully calls the viewer back to end it all once more, the way it should have been done 25 years ago, Thrice upon a time.
I feel like I got smarter reading this review. Like as if I was in front of a fire place and I had a smoke pipe and in a Hugh Heffner robe just reading this out loud to myself as a camera slowly panned toward me.

Bravo man. Bravo.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

My thoughts -
Spoiler:
Eva has always been a bittersweet yet ultimately life affirming series (despite its often bleak imagery) and 3.0+1.0 feels like the culmination of all of that. It’s the most over the top and joyous Eva has ever been and quite a few moments brought a smile to my face, from the small (the Ghibli-esque village scenes) to the large (the absolutely insane, near psychedelic action scenes).

I’ll have to watch it again of course (as is the case with Eva) but I think it’s safe to say it’s an incredibly solid, undeniably emotional finale to the Rebuild series and Eva as a whole. I saw the original series + End of Eva at the right time in my life where it made an enormous impact on me, and greatly enjoyed the previous Rebuild films (even 3.0), so revisiting the entire franchise over the last couple weeks has been quite an experience.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

goji89 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 pm
I feel like I got smarter reading this review. Like as if I was in front of a fire place and I had a smoke pipe and in a Hugh Heffner robe just reading this out loud to myself as a camera slowly panned toward me.

Bravo man. Bravo.
I appreciate it goji89 ;)
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Wow, that was disappointing. Thrice Upon A Time takes all of the worst, most pretentious aspects of Eva and cranks them to 11. Big ol' mess.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Bravo man. Bravo.
Not gonna lie, I really want to do this sometime.

Onto Eva, I haven’t seen the Rebuild series, but I’m really looking forward to watching it sometimes. I’ve heard mixed things, but after EoE and the original series, I’m hoping it can relieve a good ending where I can be at peace when it comes to this franchise. I can’t wait to see my favourite group of kids reimagined and rebuilt.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The new film uses music from The War in Space and re-recorded the end credits song, "Voyager," from Bye-Bye Jupiter.

I have not seen the new film or any of the Rebuild movies (because, frankly, I'm satisfied with the TV series), so I don't know where or in what context these are used in the film. I just thought I'd mention it because this is a Toho forum, after all.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

There was this in 2.0 as well:

(55s)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:26 pmor watch blunova's recap of the rebuilds.
By the way, thanks for the blunova recommendation. He runs a great channel! Lots of tokusatsu, kaiju and Eva stuff.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:03 am The new film uses music from The War in Space and re-recorded the end credits song, "Voyager," from Bye-Bye Jupiter.

I have not seen the new film or any of the Rebuild movies (because, frankly, I'm satisfied with the TV series), so I don't know where or in what context these are used in the film. I just thought I'd mention it because this is a Toho forum, after all.
The track from The War in Space was also newly recorded for this movie, and I must say, they really nailed it.

There's also an alternate version, which has an ELO style techno beat.

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:25 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:26 pmor watch blunova's recap of the rebuilds.
By the way, thanks for the blunova recommendation. He runs a great channel! Lots of tokusatsu, kaiju and Eva stuff.
My pleasure! Yeah, in my opinio, he and monstrosities tokusatsu vlog are putting out the best toku youtube content at the moment.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

It’s official. Tomorrow afternoon I’m starting the Rebuild binge, by at least watching 1.11 and 2.22. I have no idea what to expect in terms of what I’m gonna feel but I’m hopeful I’ll like them.

Added in 28 minutes 26 seconds:
Also, found these gems.

Didn’t know I needed Freddie Mercury singing alongside Rei with Asuka on guitar.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

More news from GKIDS:

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION ULTIMATE EDITION

The NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: Ultimate Edition was created by fans as the definitive celebration of one of the most important and influential anime series of all time, featuring exclusive artwork, merch, a 156-page book, and over 7 hours of bonus features. Spread over 11 discs, this set contains the Official Dub and Subtitled versions, and bonus Classic Dub and Subtitled versions.

Strictly limited to 5,000 copies for North America, and sold exclusively through the GKIDS Store, with a limit of 1 per customer.
Highlights from the link above:
  • Classic dubbed and subtitled versions are included (albeit on separate discs)
  • Japanese laserdisc artwork for case and art boards
  • 156-page booklet
  • Sachiel paperweight and NERV lanyard (because why not, I guess?)
Downsides:
  • "Fly Me to the Moon" is not included on any discs
  • The whole set costs nearly three-hundred dollars
I'm guessing there will be a regular edition of the series announced later, without the "classic" discs some or most of the other bonus material.
Someone must be demanding a high price for Bart Howard's song.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Rody wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:54 am [*]The whole set costs nearly three-hundred dollars

Wow...I know these are Blu Ray and all... but for anyone hoping to save money over tracking down OOP ADV DVD's...I guess that isn't an option, the older DVD are still better priced than this set. I hope for those who really are fans, that a more economical version comes out later.

Also...besides I haven't watched these in well over a decade, I remember there being Death/Rebirth, and then "End of" as the movies that came after the series. What is this whole Evangelion Death (True) I see on Netflix? I am curious, but not curios enough to watch it, as I've tried to distance myself from the series. I am a fan of Super Robots, but I ultimately determined, I can live without this series in my collection, as it's not my style.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

So is "Fly Me To The Moon" actually important in the show? If I throw in the towel and watch on Netflix, will I be missing anything significant?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Multiple dub and subtitle options (each) should be what all these big collector's editions aim for, so it's fantastic to see that here. But yeah, that price is ridiculous.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ridiculous fucking price, especially with this neutered edition without Fly Me To The Moon. Not even an Evangelion fan and I'm pissed at this.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Yeah, I'll wait for a standard edition. How absurd.

Added in 1 hour 13 minutes 12 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:56 pm So is "Fly Me To The Moon" actually important in the show? If I throw in the towel and watch on Netflix, will I be missing anything significant?
Nope, it's just the old end credits theme that people are attached to (understandably so if that's the version they grew up with). Netflix uses a couple of Sagisu's piano pieces, and I thought they fit just fine.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

o.supreme wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:46 pm What is this whole Evangelion Death (True) I see on Netflix?
It's a re-edit of Death/Rebirth, so a recap film basically.