Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by goji89 »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.

*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.
It's Lilith you bastard.
Pfff, Rei is best girl for you?

Casual~
What's wrong with casual? Heart wants what the S2 Engine can give.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

goji89 wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
It's Lilith you bastard.

Casual~
Then choose the obvious best grill

All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

^ that's fucking great :lol: thanks so much for that
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Well, I just finished my viewing of the series on Netflix tonight. It's been a pleasure to finally watch the show through an official channel (minor issues notwithstanding), and to revisit it for the first time since my original viewing some 7 years ago.
Despite my frustrations with the show back then, NGE still kept me fascinated for a long time; I think I can say with confidence now that I do like the show, and I appreciate a lot of what it does. Back in 2012, I was coming from a pretty naive and opinionated place about television, so I simply wasn't prepared for a lot of what the show presented. Alongside the aspects of Anno's own depression, who's influence on the show is established knowledge by now, I've seen communication described as the main theme, and I think that's apt. Yes, there are mecha and giant monsters; yes, there are sinister sci-fi mysteries and government shenanigans; but ultimately, the underlying core of this series is its cast of broken characters trying to maintain or repair themselves amidst circumstances too big for any of them. I can also appreciate how flexible the show can be - there are basically four "arcs" to the show's mood, and while that confused me before, I enjoy that variety now. NGE doesn't limit itself to one thing; it knows when and how to be serious or slightly silly.
This isn't to say I compleltely understand it yet, though; the last four episodes still drop a lot of information that's hard to follow, and the final two in particular are surprisingly dense, despite being practically spelled out. Ultimately, everything about SEELE, the Instrumentality Project, etc, had to build to something; but it was never the true focus, so the climax feels somewhat distracted. I can't fault the show too much, though; circumstances were working against GAINAX at the time, and I have no idea how the production/writing process was going at this point in the series. What sort of state was Anno himself in?
All in all, I think it's fair to say that, yes, NGE is a bit of a mess - at least at the end - but it has something earnest to say, and I respect it for that. I also owe it some gratitude, as the first-ever anime series I "officialy", fully watched. For all my confusion and frustration, I think the show did a lot to expand my boundaries and set new standards for what I look for in entertainment; and for the most part, I think that's been a very good thing.

I'll revisit Death and End of sometime soon.
Last edited by Rody on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

After much delay I have revisited Death (True2) and The End of Evangelion. I don't have much to say about Death: it's a curious, almost interrogatory review of the series's events, and more specifically, the main characters and their states of mind, through the story to the near-end point.
End of Evangelion, however, is still a wild ride - and confusing as all get-out. Part 1: "Air" is so intensely violent and loaded with more layers of obtuse dialogue regarding the Instrumentality project, that it's hard to keep pace and actually absorb everything properly. Unlike the first time, however, I get the impression that, like the climax of the TV series, the gritty details are essentially an unintentional distraction - a necessary evil in trying to explain what remains of the "plot" so that the emotional core of the story can be given the proper focus. The flood of rapid-fire imagery and freakishly abstract end-times events in Part 2 are an over-stimulus that threaten to lose viewers once again; but in the end (haha - should I say the VERY end... of the end?), and as strange and disturbing as everything is in the final moments of the film, I found the core message of the story still came through. To me, Evangelion is saying that reality is ugly; but dreams are hollow, and true happiness can only be found in fighting through the ugliness of the world. It's not fun, and it's not always rewarding - but hope is real, rather than just a dream. Shinji might still struggle to find love, but if he can at least love himself, than maybe someone else can love him too.
Evangelion is complicated - like real life, I guess. But I think it has something good to say.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I really like Death True2, I think it does a really nice recap of the series and helps connect things that would otherwise be missed.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^Yeah, it's by no means a "bad" film; it's just meant as a recap film, and it does so quite competently. I also enjoy the way it rearranges segments so we don't just see everything in chronological order, making the material feel a little fresh again.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:

Casual~
Then choose the obvious best grill

Put Zeruel in a schoolgirl uniform and it's my favorite angel.
(I mean original Zeruel, by the way.)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^What, you don't want a tentacle schoolgirl angel? :P

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Rody wrote:^What, you don't want a tentacle schoolgirl angel? :P
No. You see, I like big thicc

Added in 3 months 18 days 21 hours 29 minutes 16 seconds:
I don't know if anyone has posted this here but the first 4 Ultramen appear in You Can (Not) Advance... kinda.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Ultraman is all over Evangelion. Check out the last chunk of this article -
https://maserpatrol.wordpress.com/2016/ ... -from-m78/

And in case you didn't know, 3.0+1.0 has been delayed again thanks to Covid -
https://www.evageeks.org/2020/04/evange ... 0-delayed/

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Recently watched Return of Ultraman which is apparantly one of Anno's favorites, and you can definitely see the connection.
Prisma and the MAT helos being the biggest stylistic things I can pick out. I think the Eva bug bit me again, probably time for a rewatch
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Just want to throw out the obvious....

I love Neon Genesis Evangelion and I think it is a profound, masterful, amazingly well-rounded work of art and entertainment.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:Recently watched Return of Ultraman which is apparantly one of Anno's favorites, and you can definitely see the connection.
I remember the episode of the original Ultraman where it had that one kaiju (Zaragas) that kept evolving every time it was attacked to grow more powerful and dangerous. Made me wonder if that had an influence on Shin Godzilla. He even breathes out this red smoke as he does so, similar to Godzilla's second form gushing blood from his gills.
Resized Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Major sssspielberg! wrote:Recently watched Return of Ultraman which is apparantly one of Anno's favorites, and you can definitely see the connection.
I remember the episode of the original Ultraman where it had that one kaiju (Zaragas) that kept evolving every time it was attacked to grow more powerful and dangerous. Made me wonder if that had an influence on Shin Godzilla. He even breathes out this red smoke as he does so, similar to Godzilla's second form gushing blood from his gills.
That's an interesting point! Shin's final form reminds me a lot of Bemular. A lot a lot
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
That's an interesting point! Shin's final form reminds me a lot of Bemular. A lot a lot
They both havegoogly eyes, wide open mouth, tiny twig arms... Shin Godzilla = Bemular.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Cryptid_Liker wrote: They both havegoogly eyes, wide open mouth, tiny twig arms... Shin Godzilla = Bemular.
Except Shin is down with the THICCNESS

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Already posted this in the unpopular opinion thread, but I really dislike Evangelion as a whole, especially the waifu culture it helped create. However, the main theme is fucking amazing and I cannot stop listening to it, in Japanese and English.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Already posted this in the unpopular opinion thread, but I really dislike Evangelion as a whole, especially the waifu culture it helped create. However, the main theme is skreeonking amazing and I cannot stop listening to it, in Japanese and English.
Evangelion actually criticizes said waifu culture. Asuka shows that an IRL Tsundere would be fucked up and incredibly obnoxious, and that the perfect silent waifu would be as creepy as Rei is.

Not the show's fault weebs took it the complete opposite way
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Honestly its kind of a Watchmen Rorschach scenario. Turns out fans will often miss the "point" of trope satire quite often. Although, with Rorschach, I actually think Alan Moore's worth as a writer is almost at odds with his personal philosophy, I think he actually makes Rorschach too complicated to be the straw-man you'd get the impression he is from reading Moore's comments on the character.
He Jock it Made of Steel