Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by NSZ »

Manda's senile. Unit-01 never ate Sachiel.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Yep
Unit-01 ate Zeruel, she only beat the shit out of Sachiel
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Yep
Unit-01 ate Zeruel, she only beat the poop out of Sachiel
That's how I remember it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Why exactly did the Eva eat the Angel? I know that the Evas are NOT robots from what I understand they are like reverse engineered angels right?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

cloverfan98 wrote:Why exactly did the Eva eat the Angel? I know that the Evas are NOT robots from what I understand they are like reverse engineered angels right?
Eva 01 needed to get the S2 engine so it could have infinte power.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

cloverfan98 wrote:Why exactly did the Eva eat the Angel? I know that the Evas are NOT robots from what I understand they are like reverse engineered angels right?
The soul of Yui Ikari, Shinji's mother, was inside Unit 01 the whole time as part of her keikaku to stop SEELE.

But for that keikaku to occur, she needed an S2 Engine which allowed her to get on the same level of existence as Adam and Lilith

So, she took it from an Angel
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Terasawa wrote:EVA-01 eats an Angel later in the series, are you sure you’re not thinking of that? I’d never seen the series before Netflix but I haven’t been able to find any descriptions that match Sachiel’s demise as you remember it.
Okay, that MIGHT be it. It was at least 15 years ago, and I only saw it once, so... :?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
The soul of Yui Ikari, Shinji's mother, was inside Unit 01 the whole time as part of her keikaku to stop SEELE.

But for that keikaku to occur, she needed an S2 Engine which allowed her to get on the same level of existence as Adam and Lilith

Ok I knew she was in Eva 1 but that was an accident right? Was she always working with Gendo against SEELE? If so why did she EAT Gendo in EoE?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

cloverfan98 wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:

Ok I knew she was in Eva 1 but that was an accident right? Was she always working with Gendo against SEELE? If so why did she EAT Gendo in EoE?
Yui went into Eva o1 on purpose so she could control events that were going to happen during third impact.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

cloverfan98 wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:

Presumably they were both in boat to stop SEELE, but once Yui went inside Unit 01, Gendo changed plans so that Third Impact would allow him to get her out, without knowing that Yui wanted to stay in there to go into space and become a proof of humanity's existence or something.

As for why did she eat him, well, there are various interpretations. The most common and probs canon, is her lashing out at him for traumatazing Shinji every single second. There's also ideas that it's some sort of sick show of love or her letting him become part of Instrumentality.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:

Presumably they were both in boat to stop SEELE, but once Yui went inside Unit 01, Gendo changed plans so that Third Impact would allow him to get her out, without knowing that Yui wanted to stay in there to go into space and become a proof of humanity's existence or something.

As for why did she eat him, well, there are various interpretations. The most common and probs canon, is her lashing out at him for traumatazing Shinji every single second. There's also ideas that it's some sort of sick show of love or her letting him become part of Instrumentality.
This is why in alot of ways I hate EoE. So much that happens feels like sheer madness imparted onto the characters so that they wouldn't make the choices that stay true to their characters. It's like typing a coherent argument that suddenly devolves into rAndoM GibBerIsh asdfas dsafaf gks;GFMSKdgm:SDFmgms;dgm';sdfl ms'dg,l'SG<M;s dMGSD:L M

In all seriousness I'm ok with Gendo dying in the most painful way possible.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Man I pity all the Netflix users who won't experience two of the best character moments that have Fly Me To The Moon in the background

Also the subs are garbage so there's that
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just wanted to say I really love Evangelion because I like foreign/different takes on religion. It`s easy to get bored of the stereotypical/traditional interpretations and portrayals of Christian culture, especially when I lived in the United States.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Are the Netflix subs for the two movies alright? Or did they screw those up as well?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

cloverfan98 wrote:Are the Netflix subs for the two movies alright? Or did they screw those up as well?
the only one I really know of is the very memed EoE line "I'm so fucked up" was changed to "I'm the lowest of the low" or something like that
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I just put the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion on, never watched Evangelion in my life but figured it seems to be big amongst Kaiju fans so I'd give it a watch.

I've heard complaints about the dubs? I'm only a few seconds in, so everything sounds fine so far but, are they really that bad?

And the plot, is it good? Will it keep me interested for multiple seasons and the 2 films? Or are there tons of filler eps like later episodes of Shippuden?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

If you didn’t like Shin, you’ll probably not care too much for EVA
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I liked Shin for what it was.

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like a previous season or something. This kid Shingi's dad is an EVA Boss, the woman that saved him seems to dig him a bit, and Angels are a constant threat.

Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

No the story takes place sometime after the second (third?) impact.

The angels have been at it for awhile, but you’ll learn more about them and where they come from and why they’re here as the series goes on.

Keep in mind I haven’t seen this show since the mid to late 90’s so my memories really hazy
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Takes place 15 years after second impact and the first angle attack in episode one is the third angel that has appeared but it is the first attack overall.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image