Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:00 am
Vakanai wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 pm Even if the designs are iffy (and maybe we should wait to see them in action before we sneer too much?), I personally am just very glad to see Toho remembering that they have monsters that aren't the Big Five. This is an important step for them, dusting off nobodies like Gabara or Titanosaurus that haven't seen action since long before most of us were born. And the whole thing looks a good bit more entertaining than the MP Trilogy, which is welcome.
I've seen no signs that they've dusted off Titanosaurus, but agreed it's cool to get a few monsters (and robots) outside of the usual suspects.
Besides, designs are a distant second to good plots.
Titanosaurus was in the first trailer.
Disagree - there was some kind of legless aquatic creature some of the fandom believe must be Titanosaurus. I'm not convinced.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 am
Vakanai wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 am

I've seen no signs that they've dusted off Titanosaurus, but agreed it's cool to get a few monsters (and robots) outside of the usual suspects.
Besides, designs are a distant second to good plots.
Disagree - there was some kind of legless aquatic creature some of the fandom believe must be Titanosaurus. I'm not convinced.
What reason would Toho have to make a finned aquatic reptile with red skin, yellow fins, and a beige underside, only to have it not be Titanosaurus?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:05 am

What reason would Toho have to make a finned aquatic reptile with red skin, yellow fins, and a beige underside, only to have it not be Titanosaurus?
Original monster, Godzilla's first evolutionary stage, who knows? What reason would they have to use Titanosaur but hack off his legs and arms, change him from dinosaur to fish, change his basic shape and outline, etc?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:44 pm

Original monster, Godzilla's first evolutionary stage, who knows? What reason would they have to use Titanosaur but hack off his legs and arms, change him from dinosaur to fish, change his basic shape and outline, etc?
If Jet Jaguar and Rodan are anything to go by, Toho is particularly stupid with designs these days.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:44 pm Original monster, Godzilla's first evolutionary stage, who knows? What reason would they have to use Titanosaur but hack off his legs and arms, change him from dinosaur to fish, change his basic shape and outline, etc?
You can't say this when Jet Jaguar's design exists.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:30 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:44 pm Original monster, Godzilla's first evolutionary stage, who knows? What reason would they have to use Titanosaur but hack off his legs and arms, change him from dinosaur to fish, change his basic shape and outline, etc?
You can't say this when Jet Jaguar's design exists.
Yes, yes I can - Jet Jaguar's design looks like Jet Jaguar. He's got stubby legs, somewhat odd proportions, but everything is there. That fish doesn't have the things that make Titanosaurus outside of the environment and coloration.

Added in 1 minute 39 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:53 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:44 pm

If Jet Jaguar and Rodan are anything to go by, Toho is particularly stupid with designs these days.
They still have the basics however - that fish monster doesn't have the basics in the design.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Somewhat odd legs or, straight up land of misfit toys legs to body ratio.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Can we stay on topic? I think this looks actually pretty good. Copperhead esp

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

imposterzilla wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:22 pm Can we stay on topic? I think this looks actually pretty good. Copperhead esp
The show looks like a Youtube Original Evangelion Lite to me

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Everything looks like fucking Evangelion to you people.

It's 2013 all over again. -_-
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 pm Everything looks like fucking Evangelion to you people.

How it feels sometimes.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Tomorrow (looks like my kaiju video won't be on time, oh well)!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

NSZ wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:58 pm
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 pm Everything looks like skreeonking Evangelion to you people.

How it feels sometimes.
Watched a couple series of Gundam too lol. Still doesn't make this "The Black" feel any less like a parody of the source.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Guys, it's pretty good. Feels like the somewhat smaller scale sequel Uprising should've been in the absence of del Toro's grandeur. I wish there were 7 more episodes to dig into because the first season does a great job setting things up and introducing new concepts - in ways far smarter than Uprising ever did, arguably making some of Uprising's events/ideas a tad more bearable, even. Mileage may vary but as a 'take' on the Pac Rim franchise it's as different from Uprising as Uprising was to del Toro's film, but in a good way. I hope people give it a chance.
Spoiler:
My one nitpick again is the amount of episodes - It feels hurried and a little too fast paced at times, the first and final episodes would have benefitted from being two-parters. Episode 1 goes by pretty quick, setting a lot of things in motion, introducing a batch of young characters only to kill most of them off, etc. But overall it's a solid continuation.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Having just finished it....

I am excited for Pacific Rim again.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Oh boy, I'm ready to be hurt again! :D

RIP Evan.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

This series tone is PR Original but it's content is Uprising. Honestly love it. Hopefully it can stretch and get some more flushed out plots
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:37 am Guys, it's pretty good. Feels like the somewhat smaller scale sequel Uprising should've been in the absence of del Toro's grandeur. I wish there were 7 more episodes to dig into because the first season does a great job setting things up and introducing new concepts - in ways far smarter than Uprising ever did, arguably making some of Uprising's events/ideas a tad more bearable, even. Mileage may vary but as a 'take' on the Pac Rim franchise it's as different from Uprising as Uprising was to del Toro's film, but in a good way. I hope people give it a chance.
Spoiler:
My one nitpick again is the amount of episodes - It feels hurried and a little too fast paced at times, the first and final episodes would have benefitted from being two-parters. Episode 1 goes by pretty quick, setting a lot of things in motion, introducing a batch of young characters only to kill most of them off, etc. But overall it's a solid continuation.
What new concepts? The kaiju are like? Is there some kinda rogue kaiju?
Last edited by imposterzilla on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

I was being hopefully optimistic with this like I am with most things (Uprising included). I am glad it paid off this time, really enjoyed the story, the characters, the concepts introduced and look forward to the next season.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

On the first episode and I'm digging the fact that this actually feels like it has heart. Definitely proving me wrong atm.