Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Spuro »

I just finished it as well. It was good! :)

Got pretty dang weird near the end, though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

This show was amazing. I can’t wait to see what they do for the next season.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

imposterzilla wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:29 pmWhat new concepts? The kaiju are like? Is there some kinda rogue kaiju?
Nothing too too spoiler-y but -
Spoiler:
There are new ideas regarding the drift, there are new smaller kaiju alongside the normal/giant sized ones, there's a rogue kaiju/mech hybrid inspired by the infected drones from Uprising, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Tyrant28 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:59 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm As long as it won't be considered a spoiler can anyone tell me WHEN the series takes place? The opening has Jaegers from both the movies so thats throwing me off. That being said just beginning this series and I'm really glad to see Pacific Rim get more love and I have high hopes for this series! (Please don't be as bad as Uprising)
Some years after Uprising, though it feels like it is its own timeline that vaguely calls back things from the first film and Uprising. Especially one spoiler related element.
I've only watched 2 episodes. It is good so far, but does it ever explain how kaiju came back since there was no breaches open at the end of uprising.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

o.supreme wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:45 pm
Tyrant28 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:59 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm As long as it won't be considered a spoiler can anyone tell me WHEN the series takes place? The opening has Jaegers from both the movies so thats throwing me off. That being said just beginning this series and I'm really glad to see Pacific Rim get more love and I have high hopes for this series! (Please don't be as bad as Uprising)
Some years after Uprising, though it feels like it is its own timeline that vaguely calls back things from the first film and Uprising. Especially one spoiler related element.
I've only watched 2 episodes. It is good so far, but does it ever explain how kaiju came back since there was no breaches open at the end of uprising.
It can very much be inferred that the Precursors got their stuff in the Anteverse back up and running again.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

3 episodes in, I'm really enjoying this so far! I'm so grateful for this series!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

2 episodes in and loving it! I love the visuals, the characters, the setting (sucker for the hometown), the story and the new Kaiju and jaegers.
For Emperor and Empire!

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

Now I'm tempted to do a fanedit of Uprising that basically cuts out most of the annoying cast and just shows "The Uprising War" itself between the jaegers and the kaiju.
Maybe keep Charlie Day for context. Probably not.
Last edited by Elytron Frass on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Evil Newt was my least favorite part of Uprising, it didn't work for me at all.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:31 pm Evil Newt was my least favorite part of Uprising, it didn't work for me at all.
It’s so weird to take a loveable part of the first movie and make him into the main villain...it felt like a bad joke.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

It could have been interesting but... it wasn't. And no attempt to resolve his condition either, just him cackling like a lunatic tied to a chair for the sequel hook. It seemed unnecessarily out of touch and grim.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:31 pm Evil Newt was my least favorite part of Uprising, it didn't work for me at all.
2 out of the 3 returning characters were so horribly mangled in that movie that I'm glad Raleigh Beckett was offed in the lore. Definitely my biggest gripe with the film.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Elytron Frass wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:53 am Now I'm tempted to do a fanedit of Uprising that basically cuts out most of the annoying cast and just shows "The Uprising War" itself between the jaegers and the kaiju.
Maybe keep Charlie Day for context. Probably not.
Just don't mess with John Boyega's toppings.

'How many toppings do you need?' Eastwood Jr.

'Don't mess with my toppings man' Finn Boyega

Great dialogue.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Del Toro's departure from the sequel was the writing on the wall for certain characters so I kind of expected off and on screen deaths, especially when introducing a new batch of young pilots. Raleigh and Mako's deaths are real bummers but somehow making Newt the bad guy with no resolution seemed like the bigger "Wait what?" to me. (At least Gottlieb is okay, he's the real star.)

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

As far as I remember only the novelization of Uprising killed off Raleigh, Deknight intentionally left it up in the air in film in case of a third film.
Spoiler:
And with The Black, it has him listed as “Retired”, so he is still alive at least within the anime’s narrative.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

the theatrical experience was a cringey letdown, and I can't argue with any of these points but I did find the secret kaiju brain reveal scene in Charlie's apartment to be a rather hysterically weird and funny moment. do think I can make a solid/coherent 25min film solely using Uprising footage featuring jaegers vs kaiju out of this, without the toppings (and the annoying pilots) ;)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that the creative team behind The Black could have potential at making a Godzilla anime?

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:41 pm Does anyone think that the creative team behind The Black could have potential at making a Godzilla anime?
Uncertain, but I do hope that whoever handles that and Kong toons set different tones, goals, and settings. I prefer them all to feel different enough not start blending into same-same territory. I'd prefer the Kong toons to feel more similarly to Skull Island and the Godzilla toon to maybe feel like a disaster film vibe.
Last edited by Elytron Frass on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:05 pm
It’s so weird to take a loveable part of the first movie and make him into the main villain...it felt like a bad joke.
I think that was one of the original ideas from Del Toro back when he was still part of PR2. But it's still wasn't a good idea.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:00 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:05 pm
I think that was one of the original ideas from Del Toro back when he was still part of PR2. But it's still wasn't a good idea.
If I'm remembering right, kaiju turned Newt was the original plan Del Toro had for the character in the first film, but Charlie Day was so likeable and fun as the character he changed his mind and rewrote it.

Which pretty much says it all about Deknight's respect for the original's intent and vision.

RIP Evan.