The Lake, Upcoming Thai Giant Monster Movie

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The Lake, Upcoming Thai Giant Monster Movie

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I did a thread for this awhile back but seems to have been deleted. Anyway trailer 2 just dropped and I must say I'm pretty excited. Looks kinda like The Host meets Gorgo. Just the trailer alone blows most those Chinese efforts out of the water. Hits August 18th, at least in Thailand.

Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Lake, Upcoming Thai Giant Monster Movie

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh, wow! It's always cool to see a new country step up and break into this genre in an interesting way. I have virtually zero experience with Thai cinema or... anything, really. I ate at the local Thai restaurant once, and it was phenomenal, for what that's worth. :lol: The trailer looks promising, anyway. Hopefully the movie gets some kind of release on this side of the Pacific soon!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm interested!
"No it's my scary giant egg!"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Let this moment sink in when the effects whether CGI or practical is better then any of Hollywood's CGI nowadays.

I love movies like this. Consider me hype! :D

Added in 24 minutes 3 seconds:
And the movie comes out next month! Yo!

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

It's nice that some countries still want to make decent creature features instead of relegating them to The Asylum.

The shot at 1.59 looks really cool. Getting a feel for the lighting in GMK when Godzilla first appears in Yokohama to fight Mothra.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This movie looks good. I want to see it.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:12 am Oh, wow! It's always cool to see a new country step up and break into this genre in an interesting way. I have virtually zero experience with Thai cinema or... anything, really. I ate at the local Thai restaurant once, and it was phenomenal, for what that's worth. :lol: The trailer looks promising, anyway. Hopefully the movie gets some kind of release on this side of the Pacific soon!
As a guy who grew up in a Thai restaurant - I'm glad ya tried Thai food! It's possibly one of the greatest things humanity ever created, it could end wars.

If you're looking for great Thai shows and films, I recommend Girl From Nowhere and Ong Bak , respectively. One is a trippy "horror" show, and the other a spectacular martial arts film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:44 pm As a guy who grew up in a Thai restaurant - I'm glad ya tried Thai food! It's possibly one of the greatest things humanity ever created, it could end wars.

If you're looking for great Thai shows and films, I recommend Girl From Nowhere and Ong Bak , respectively. One is a trippy "horror" show, and the other a spectacular martial arts film.
All I had were a few spring rolls and crab Rangoons, and that was enough. :lol: Even those totally eclipsed any Chinese restaurant I've ever tried. Definitely going to have to go back to that place sometime.

And thanks for the recommendations! I'll add those to the watch list.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I saw this trailer at G-Fest.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Wow, this looks like a legit old-school kaiju flick with a healthy budget and great FX. Definitely interested.

The only other Thai kaiju movie I'm aware of is Garuda (2004) which doesn't look anywhere near as polished based on what I've seen.
Last edited by DrBreakfastMachine on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Twitter post says it releases today in Thailand. Good luck!

Iced Snowman
Ronin

Post by Iced Snowman »

The few reviews on IMDB are not too kind. Whatever, imma gonna see this whenever I can.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The Lake is officially coming to America this March in a limited theatrical release and both on digital & disc.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/375 ... -in-march/
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:17 pm The Lake is officially coming to America this March in a limited theatrical release and both on digital & disc.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/375 ... -in-march/
I don't live in a "limited theatrical release" kinda place, so I'll have to wait to nab this on disc. Which I'm definitely going to do, if for no other reason than all the monster stuff looks good! Hopefully the film itself is at least alright too.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

This movie is available for rent and purchase on Amazon right now. I'll be giving it a look tonight hopefully. I hope its fun!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The Lake is now out on Blu-ray.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, I watched the Blu-ray. Uh... yeah, it wasn't good. Wish I could say otherwise; I certainly went in hoping to love it, but it was a slog to sit through. It was nice to get a monster movie set in a small Thai farming town, y'know, a change of scenery and a glimpse into a culture we don't see in this genre. And the lighting was kinda cool at times, all the police and ambulance lights flashing in the rain. I appreciate that an effort was made to use practical effects. But I can't honestly recommend it. Utterly half-baked characters put through hyper-emotional stories we're supposed to care about, some bizarrely vague scenes that are hard to follow, monster animatronics that can't actually do much of anything, inconsistency between the killing spree early on and the insistence that the monsters are actually peaceful. Etc. Lame movie. I'm glad I bought it, though; gotta support these things if we want a chance of something better being made in the future.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, I had some expectation that this wasn't going to be much better than the slew of Chinese-made monster movies hitting Wal-Mart these past few years. I seem to get one every month. Sometimes they entertaining, but never actually "good." Let alone, better than old Sci-Fi Channel stuff. At least they went with practical effects, a step in the right direction.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:17 am Yeah, I had some expectation that this wasn't going to be much better than the slew of Chinese-made monster movies hitting Wal-Mart these past few years. I seem to get one every month. Sometimes they entertaining, but never actually "good." Let alone, better than old Sci-Fi Channel stuff. At least they went with practical effects, a step in the right direction.
Any of those Chinese monster movies worth the watch? I'd like to check out one Chinese monster movie, but everything I see screams Asylum level "quality". I can forgive bad CGI but everything else also tends to look bad in the few trailers I've seen online or what I can get from the box in the store. Also hurts that it's always a snake or more rarely a crocodile as opposed to something new.

Surprising considering China does produce decent quality films and has for decades. Usually period period stuff I know of, from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to Detective Dee. And what I've seen of the Wandering Earth looked good, just not my type of sci-fi story. But somehow their monster films look...bad.

Still want to check out Thai's The Lake even if the story seems not good - the monster still looks kinda cool.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:15 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:17 am Yeah, I had some expectation that this wasn't going to be much better than the slew of Chinese-made monster movies hitting Wal-Mart these past few years. I seem to get one every month. Sometimes they entertaining, but never actually "good." Let alone, better than old Sci-Fi Channel stuff. At least they went with practical effects, a step in the right direction.
Any of those Chinese monster movies worth the watch? I'd like to check out one Chinese monster movie, but everything I see screams Asylum level "quality". I can forgive bad CGI but everything else also tends to look bad in the few trailers I've seen online or what I can get from the box in the store. Also hurts that it's always a snake or more rarely a crocodile as opposed to something new.

Surprising considering China does produce decent quality films and has for decades. Usually period period stuff I know of, from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to Detective Dee. And what I've seen of the Wandering Earth looked good, just not my type of sci-fi story. But somehow their monster films look...bad.

Still want to check out Thai's The Lake even if the story seems not good - the monster still looks kinda cool.
It depends if you like this sort of stuff. They're virtually just Chinese Syfy/Asylum quality movies. Some have some nifty monsters and ideas, but it's all very low budget looking.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?