The JAWS Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

The JAWS Thread

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

A thread for the franchise with teeth! Jaws! Been a while since I've watched them, but currently watching Jaws 2. The very first movie still, and always will, hold up to the test of time. Jaws 2 is still a guilt pleasure, but I can't watch it the same anymore once realizing the film is virtually Halloween on the open sea. Jaws 3-D sucks and Jaws: The Revenge is so bad its great.

And I'd be game for an HBO Max mini-series that follows more of the book's storyline while keeping with the film's "Smile you son of a bitch!" ending.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: The JAWS Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

I think the book deserves a re-adaptation one day.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I enjoy all the JAWS movies, of course the first is a classic. I can find enjoyment in Jaws 2, Jaws 3 and even Jaws The Revenge so I will always watch any of them whenever they are on TV.

Jaws The Revenge was the first Jaws movie I saw as a young kid, so I have nostalgia for it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I remember seeing a big, full page black-and-white newspaper ad from 1978 with a shark's fin above the open sea's surface that said "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...JAWS 2". I think I might've even seen it when it came out in theaters.

And let's not forget the two biggest of all of the original film's imitators: Grizzly (1976) (which, for all practical purposes, really should've been called "Claws") and Piranha (1978).

Why, even Blood Beach (1980) stole Jaws 2's tagline ("Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water-you can't get to it.").

And if you think that's still not enough, there's a paperback horror novel called The Predators (1984) by Mark Washburn and Robert Webb whose story (are you ready for this?) is about a big-time TV mogul who attempts - and actually succeeds - in putting a battle between a great white shark and a Kodiak bear on pay-per-view cable. You've been warned. Only in America, kids, only in America.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Love the first two films. First is a classic but second not as good but still holds up for what it is.

The last two though were awful especially the fourth one.
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:08 pm I think the book deserves a re-adaptation one day.
Please no. God forbid actual efforts on practical effects because a Jaws remake would especially end up resorting to a lazy CGI shark.

Jaws is one of those films that needs to be left alone.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

'I can't sit down and talk to the boy who did the fish movie' Alfred Hitchcock

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The first film is a masterpiece, of course.

Jaws 2 is a pretty decent follow-up. I doo enjoy this movie.

Jaws 3 is flawed, but I do have a somewhat good time with it.

Jaws: The Revenge is trash. I use to love it when I was a kid, but now I think it's total garbage.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:18 am Please no. God forbid actual efforts on practical effects because a Jaws remake would especially end up resorting to a lazy CGI shark.

Jaws is one of those films that needs to be left alone.
At least the story has the benefit of originating within literature as opposed to film.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:08 pm I think the book deserves a re-adaptation one day.
Eww. No. Please. The book was fucking *terrible*. X_X

I might actually watch Jaws 3D and The Revenge (still haven't seen them yet) back to back, over a book accurate adaption.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly I don't see Jaws being remade. NOT because of the fact that "It's a timeless classic, it could never be redone!" because that hasn't stopped Hollywood before. I'm talking about the fact that it really already HASN'T happened yet. I feel like if it a remake were to happen, we'd have already gotten it by now. We didn't even get one when horror movie remakes were at their peak during the late 2000's!

Never say never IG, but who knows at this point. The Jaws franchise looks to be staying pretty dormant, though I guess that's what happens when your last couple entries bomb. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:33 pm Honestly I don't see Jaws being remade. NOT because of the fact that "It's a timeless classic, it could never be redone!" because that hasn't stopped Hollywood before. I'm talking about the fact that it really already HASN'T happened yet. I feel like if it a remake were to happen, we'd have already gotten it by now. We didn't even get one when horror movie remakes were at their peak during the late 2000's!

Never say never IG, but who knows at this point. The Jaws franchise looks to be staying pretty dormant, though I guess that's what happens when your last couple entries bomb. :lol:
Part of me is thinking that is because Spielberg is still around and might be pulling strings to prevent it.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

It's definitely Steven that's stopping it.

Although he did consider at one point a new Jaws film around 2015 or so set in a flooded coastal town.

We essentially got Crawl to cover that unrealized concept.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:33 pm Honestly I don't see Jaws being remade. NOT because of the fact that "It's a timeless classic, it could never be redone!" because that hasn't stopped Hollywood before. I'm talking about the fact that it really already HASN'T happened yet. I feel like if it a remake were to happen, we'd have already gotten it by now. We didn't even get one when horror movie remakes were at their peak during the late 2000's!

Jaws will never be Remade, but I imagine once Steven Spielberg passes away Universal will eventually consider doing something with the property. Like a Reboot that ignores everything but the Original and try to see if there is any value left in the series for the big screen.

A flat out Remake/Readaptation of the Novel I imagine is just out of the question. Deep down I honestly doubt anyone at Universal will believe they can do better then Spielberg's classic, look no further then ''THE MEG'' to see along the lines of what 150$ million dollar Jaws movie would probably turn out like today.
Last edited by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX on Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I wouldn't mind another adaptation of Jaws as long as it is much closer to the novel. Anyone who has read Peter Benchley's novel would know that not only does it differ from Steven Spielberg's film in a lot of ways, but it's also a lot more darker and serious, at least from what I can remember.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:03 am I wouldn't mind another adaptation of Jaws as long as it is much closer to the novel. Anyone who has read Peter Benchley's novel would know that not only does it differ from Steven Spielberg's film in a lot of ways, but it's also a lot more darker and serious, at least from what I can remember.
Yeah, I mean, who wouldn't want to see the scene where Ellen Brody vocalizes her fetish about dying in a car accident caused from her masturbating in traffic play out on the big screen?

Any sort of future Jaws adaption, if there is one, needs to stay the hell away from that god awful book.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:42 pm
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:03 am I wouldn't mind another adaptation of Jaws as long as it is much closer to the novel. Anyone who has read Peter Benchley's novel would know that not only does it differ from Steven Spielberg's film in a lot of ways, but it's also a lot more darker and serious, at least from what I can remember.
Yeah, I mean, who wouldn't want to see the scene where Ellen Brody vocalizes her fetish about dying in a car accident caused from her masturbating in traffic play out on the big screen?

Any sort of future Jaws adaption, if there is one, needs to stay the hell away from that god awful book.
She also has a rape fetish...

But, yeah, those can be written out, but still keep Ellen's affair with Hooper.

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I mean, the film is faithful enough and exceptionally well made that I don't really see much of a point of a re-adaptation if all they'll add is an already awkward affair and a bit more explanation why the mayor needs the money. It all works perfectly fine on it's own.
Plus, the books ending would NOT be dramatic enough for the screen. Spielberg was very smart to change it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^You do know that author Peter Benchley was angered by the shark getting blown up rather than dying of blood loss. If anything, it was tacked-on due to Hollywood’s general bias towards explosions.

I understand the concern over using a CGI shark, how would you feel if they were able to make a 3D printed animatronic?

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:00 pm ^You do know that author Peter Benchley was angered by the shark getting blown up rather than dying of blood loss.
Doesn't mean Spielberg was wrong to change it.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.