La Brea on NBC

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

La Brea on NBC

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The first teaser for the upcoming NBC sci-fi series has dropped.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.co ... bc%3famp=1

"When a massive sinkhole mysteriously opens in Los Angeles, it tears a family in half, separating mother and son from father and daughter. When part of the family finds themselves in an unexplainable primeval world, alongside a disparate group of strangers, they must work to survive and uncover the mystery of where they are and if there is a way back home,"

Been on my radar ever since it was first announced. Hopefully it's good. As the name might suggest the trailer hints at prehistoric creatures of some kind.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: La Brea on NBC

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Hope it's a miniseries because shows like this don't last more than a season or 2

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Looks interesting. I'm waiting for the Inhumanoids to make an appearance. But I don't see it lasting that long, and going the way of another creature centric show that ran for only a season on the dying peacock network, SURFACE. The story seems more fitting for either a mini series, or theatrical. A finite story with a beginning ,middle, and end.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It sounds interesting. I can see people having to fend off Dire Wolves and Saber Tooth cats.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Seems interesting too. I'm just hoping we get columbian mammoths in this. Preferrably as the juggernauts they were in real life.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

The One and Only wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 pm Looks interesting. I'm waiting for the Inhumanoids to make an appearance. But I don't see it lasting that long, and going the way of another creature centric show that ran for only a season on the dying peacock network, SURFACE. The story seems more fitting for either a mini series, or theatrical. A finite story with a beginning ,middle, and end.
Agreed. And a good call out on Surface. I actually liked that brief series a lot and wish it had been a complete story because I was very curious where it was going.

Michael

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

New poster confirms series' prehistoric setting.

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Full offense, the Teratorn looks like a Deviantart Giant Condor redesign :lol:

Rest of them look great and I'm always a fan for a show about prehistory that DOESN'T focus soley on dinosaurs

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

You know what? Alright, I'm in. This looks like a show that's going to get dropped after season 1 like a lot of cool sci-fi concept shows I get invested in, but eh it'll hopefully be worth the ride even if it ends on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm sure i'll give it a try, but i'm not expecting it to be very successful cause the last two live-action shows that focused on prehistoric life (Primeval and Terra Nova) did NOT last.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:44 am Full offense, the Teratorn looks like a Deviantart Giant Condor redesign :lol:
SAVAGE
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:29 pm I'm sure i'll give it a try, but i'm not expecting it to be very successful cause the last two live-action shows that focused on prehistoric life (Primeval and Terra Nova) did NOT last.
Primeval lasted for five seasons on it's own from 2007 to 2012. For British standards ,that's quite successful. The 2012 spinoff didn't work because BBC America didn't bring anyone back.

Terra Nova on the other hand came too early and was expensive to make. It needed to be a loss leader for a streaming service or a premium channel. It basically devolved to being stuck in some limited town with very little prehistoric action to be thought of anyways.

At the very least, it wasn't like Revolution where it took a nifty premise of a modern world stripped of its modern weaponry and technology and then introduced some stupid convoluted scifi shit with nanobots to justify why they can only turn on power in limited ways. I'd soon rather have infrastructure and a solar flare wipe it all out to force a situation similar to Into the Badlands. Have it completely focused on a modern world forced to cope with being thrown back a century without electricity without anything stupid behind the curtains. The only thing I find incredibly stupid about any of these shows is how they all somehow believe there'd be consistent agreed upon gun control in a country where even the most liberal of people love their right to own and use guns and ammo to protect them. It's not like they couldn't implement gun fu like in Wanted or in Equilibrium.

La Brea should be on Syfy anyways.
Last edited by Bigdog on Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The door opens both ways in this promo for LA BREA. :Rodan56: :Rodan56: :Rodan56:

And a five minute preview of the pilot to wet your collective whistles.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've seen the first two episodes and so far I'm impressed! Even if it turns out to be a miniseries, it's good to see the Cenozoic Era/the Age of Mammals get some love for a change, even if it was the near-end of the Pleistocene Epoch.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I saw the whole first season a while ago and I must say I'm intrigued. Just one season so far and already there's a whole lot of mysteries wrapped up in a whole lot of enigmas.

I only hope they don't do something stupid and cancel it, especially since I'm so invested in it now.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Could this show revolve around some sort of Hollow Earth-type scenario?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:26 pm Could this show revolve around some sort of Hollow Earth-type scenario?
From what I know. It's more of time travel since in one of the episodes a character finds his wife's ring in a location where she lost it while trapped in the prehistoric world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:44 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:26 pm Could this show revolve around some sort of Hollow Earth-type scenario?
From what I know. It's more of time travel since in one of the episodes a character finds his wife's ring in a location where she lost it while trapped in the prehistoric world.
I looked up this show on wikipedia and apparently it's got only a 38% rating on Rotten tomatoes. Damn it Hollywood! Why is it so that you have the energy into making consistently successful Superhero and zombie-related media, yet can't do it with anything prehistory-related unless it's tied to to Jurassic Park/World?!
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 pmI looked up this show on wikipedia and apparently it's got only a 38% rating on Rotten tomatoes. Damn it Hollywood! Why is it so that you have the energy into making Superhero and zombie-related media as consistently good as possible yet can't do a prehistory-related film or TV show that's not connected to Jurassic Park/World?!
Probably because of both their popularity, they pool all their resources and budget into them especially being in this day of age media is crazy about the superheroes and zombies still remain popular apparently.

Why not a streaming series adaption on the Jurassic Dead trilogy? Still zombies but something different. Zombie dinosaurs.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:55 pm Why not a streaming series adaption on the Jurassic Dead trilogy? Still zombies but something different. Zombie dinosaurs.
Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal has tackled that subject in one episode.