Favorite King Kong incarnation

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

You have three (3) options...

RKO (1933)
25%
King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)
10%
King Kong Escapes (1967)
4%
De Laurentiis (1976-86)
6%
Universal (2005)
12%
MonsterVerse (2017-21)
43%

Total votes: 69

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Favorite King Kong incarnation

Post by edgaguirus »

I believe that he did. It looks silver in an pic I saw.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Kong 05 is a great design and one of the greatest CG characters ever made, right up there with Gollum and Caesar.

Last edited by tbeasley on Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:29 pm Kong 05 is a great design and one of the greatest CG characters ever made, right up there with Gollum and Caesar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CB6ZnXDM0
I partially agree. He is definitely one of the top mocap characters but in terms of design, he's the most generic of any Kong. He's literally just a silverback gorilla with a couple scars.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ehhhhh last page we discussed why he isn't "just" a silverback. He actually has a pretty unique build.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Well, MonsterVerse seems to be winning by a wide margin followed by the original.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am sad to say this, but while I do appreciate the impact that the original 1933 King Kong film had for cinema as a whole, It's just one movie I have a hard time enjoying for myself. One major issue I have is the ravenous sauropod and another is that Anne Darrow never warms up to Kong like in later versions of the story. I also find that the movie cant seem to make up its mind as to whether or not it wants you to sympathize with the titular character.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Monsterverse version has a lot more character to it, both in Skull Island and Godzilla vs. Kong.

The original has shades of sympathy, but it still always feels like a wild beast, save for the brief moment
Although I don't buy into this analysis too much, and it doesn't detract from the original's quality and historical significance there has been some interpretations of Kong 33, based on dialogue in the film and imagery used in promotions, being likened to fearful depictions of the "savage". I think the Monsterverse incarnation fixes a lot of that, and extends both Kong and Kong's mythos into the modern era. For that reason my vote goes towards the Monsterverse version, and I'd say both films made me a Kong fan, instead of a fan of just the movies.

Monsterverse Kong is able to get more sympathy, while still being very "monstorous". He can be cute when needed, but also incredibly scary. Physically, he's also for me the right balance of ape, and original monster. I appreciate the 05 design, but it really is just too much of a "big gorilla" and not much else. Monsterverse Kong has just enough different to make it a true monster and character.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:30 pm I am sad to say this, but while I do appreciate the impact that the original 1933 King Kong film had for cinema as a whole, It's just one movie I have a hard time enjoying for myself. One major issue I have is the ravenous sauropod and another is that Anne Darrow never warms up to Kong like in later versions of the story. I also find that the movie cant seem to make up its mind as to whether or not it wants you to sympathize with the titular character.
I like that Ann doesn't warm to Kong, and that the movie doesn't hold your hand through your emotional journey. We're very much free to build our own relationship with Kong, to decide for ourselves how much we sympathize with him, unlike some later, more heavy-handed versions of the story.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:30 pmOne major issue I have is the ravenous sauropod
Don't make him angry!!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:30 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:30 pm I am sad to say this, but while I do appreciate the impact that the original 1933 King Kong film had for cinema as a whole, It's just one movie I have a hard time enjoying for myself. One major issue I have is the ravenous sauropod and another is that Anne Darrow never warms up to Kong like in later versions of the story. I also find that the movie cant seem to make up its mind as to whether or not it wants you to sympathize with the titular character.
I like that Ann doesn't warm to Kong, and that the movie doesn't hold your hand through your emotional journey. We're very much free to build our own relationship with Kong, to decide for ourselves how much we sympathize with him, unlike some later, more heavy-handed versions of the story.
That's a very good point I hadn't considered. The original Kong is a bit ambiguous into how the audience is supposed to feel about Kong, and it makes the film, and 33 Kong unique in that the film doesn't give us a clear answer how we should interpret/feel about Kong.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

1933, 2005, and Monsterverse have always been my favorite for being ridicously expressive full on characters but I voted MV because I love the more mythic take it has then other Kongs.

RIP Evan.