Favorite King Kong incarnation

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

You have three (3) options...

RKO (1933)
25%
King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)
10%
King Kong Escapes (1967)
4%
De Laurentiis (1976-86)
6%
Universal (2005)
12%
MonsterVerse (2017-21)
43%

Total votes: 69

goji89
Sazer

Re: Favorite King Kong incarnation

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:07 pm MonsterVerse looks like a bobble head.
Funko pop nailed it, probably the most screen accurate of their entire line.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:07 pm MonsterVerse looks like a bobble head.
I get saying this about K:SI but GvK looks just fine.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think Skull Island is my favorite, followed by Escapes and Vs. Godzilla. I really do like '33 too. In GvK he looked like a beefy Ernest Borgnine.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I still can't really pick from all of these options. On one hand i love the craftmanship that went into the original 33 Kong, and the simplicity of it. On the other i love the 67 design because it fixes every mistake the 62 suit and then some. On the other hand i love the Paramount/ De lauranteiis design because it's actually kinda scary in some shots and there was also a lot of craftmanship from Rick Baker. On the other i love how expressive Peter Jackson's Kong is despite it having the most plain design because it's just a scarred, giant, silverback gorilla. On the other hand i love how MV Kong feels like an updated version of the RKO version, plus he's actually so cool he can wield an axe like no tomorrow.

So pretty much, i love all of them. Except the ugly 62 version, that guy can go skreoonk himself

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:53 pm
So pretty much, i love all of them. Except the ugly 62 version, that guy can go skreoonk himself
The '62 suit from King Kong vs Godzilla 62?

Do you realize what you've said? Here of all places.... the balls on you lol I love it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I recognize what people dislike about the 62 suit, but I can't help loving it, and I definitely prefer it over the 67 suit.

However, more than that, I think the classic Bandai figure of the '62 suit is a thing of absolute perfection.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

There's a lot of aspects about the suit that sound neat on paper like the elongated face and mane of fur (I know that was unintentional) but in execution, they fall flat. And by flat, I mean flatter than paper.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Ahah! Ahahahahahahaha! The superior Kong (MV) is finally being appreciated for once on this damn forum and is beating out RKO! Victoryyyyyyy!!!!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:54 am Ahah! Ahahahahahahaha! The superior Kong (MV) is finally being appreciated for once on this damn forum and is beating out RKO! Victoryyyyyyy!!!!
The funko(ng) pop.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:54 am Ahah! Ahahahahahahaha! The superior Kong (MV) is finally being appreciated for once on this damn forum and is beating out RKO! Victoryyyyyyy!!!!
Hell YEAAAAAH.

Wished this happened in that damn POLL where I was beaten out by a damn crossed eyed puppet.

*I meant G89 suit*

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I just don't get how 05 is beating out 76. It was just a silverback gorilla!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:37 am I just don't get how 05 is beating out 76. It was just a silverback gorilla!
Right? CGI loving $#@% damn *&%×@ lol kids.

Bob Sherlock
Yojimbo

Post by Bob Sherlock »

I like all Kongs, but MonsterVerse is my personal favorite.

Also glad he’s one of the few versions to have a happy ending besides the two Toho Kongs.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:37 am I just don't get how 05 is beating out 76. It was just a silverback gorilla!
As someone who actually voted for 76, there’s a lot of small, subtle details in the 2005 design that make it stand out from real gorillas.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

KK42 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:18 pm
As someone who actually voted for 76, there’s a lot of small, subtle details in the 2005 design that make it stand out from real gorillas.
I'm not enough of a zoologist to notice those details...

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:20 pm
It's not anything actually like his body, more of the scars running across his fur and the fact his entire lower jaw is dislocated.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 pm

It's not anything actually like his body, more of the scars running across his fur and the fact his entire lower jaw is dislocated.
So then it's just a silverback gorilla with a bunch of battle scars/injuries.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:13 pm So then it's just a silverback gorilla with a bunch of battle scars/injuries.
Yes.

And that's awesome

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

No, there's more differences in the body. The shape of the arms is different; the size of the head is smaller than that of a real gorilla; the jaw structure is less pronounced; the eyes are orange with easily visible human-like pupils; the brow is larger and more noticeable; the nose is larger and more "squashed" in shape; the coloration is different (noticeably lacking the name-sake silver back.)

If you shrunk Kong down to the size of a gorilla they'd still be two different species of primate. The differences are subtle, but they're there. It's not my favorite (I voted the 1976 version), but I certainly wouldn't call it a lazy design.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KK42 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:19 pm

No, there's more differences in the body. The shape of the arms is different; the size of the head is smaller than that of a real gorilla; the jaw structure is less pronounced; the eyes are orange with easily visible human-like pupils; the brow is larger and more noticeable; the nose is larger and more "squashed" in shape; the coloration is different (noticeably lacking the name-sake silver back.)

If you shrunk Kong down to the size of a gorilla they'd still be two different species of primate. The differences are subtle, but they're there. It's not my favorite (I voted the 1976 version), but I certainly wouldn't call it a lazy design.
Adding to this, Jackson wanted his Kong's back to be sunken, and his potbelly is something gorillas also don't typically have. I believe he did have a silver back though.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira