What Godzilla Knockoff could've been a Franchise

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Godzilla Knockoffs that could've had a Franchise

Gorgo
38%
Reptilicus
No votes
Yongary
38%
Gappa
No votes
Guilala
23%
Other (Specify in Thread)
No votes

Total votes: 13

Masterofsome01
Samurai

What Godzilla Knockoff could've been a Franchise

Post by Masterofsome01 »

Just a topic I thought of a long time ago, but just what if like Gamera one of the other more infamous Godzilla knockoffs were able to rise from obscurity and become a franchise that could be considered a rival to the big G, feel free to share ideas you come up with for these hypothetical franchises; like what do you think there equivalent to Ghidorah or Gyaos would be?, would they have Mecha doubles of themselves? or maybe what outlandish weapons would the military/invaders come up with to fight them?
Last edited by Masterofsome01 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: What Godzilla Knockoff could've been a Franchise

Post by mikelcho »

You might want to change "X from Outer Space" to "Guilala", since that's his name. Just sayin'.

UPDATE: Thanks!
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

While perhaps not a franchise Gorgo was a nicely set up for a sequel. Mother Ogra could have been hunted and killed while nesting On Flannen Island after destroying the lighthouse. Her carcass and egg are taken to one of the other major English cities only to have a fully grown Gorgo to appear trash the city and reclaim the egg.
It’s derivative of the original but why mettle with success.
Last edited by Bluezilla on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gorgo. Also, I see the polls are animated now.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Yongary, because he got his own G98 equivalent, guy deserves better. Also I'm fascinated with the idea of non Japanese kaiju getting their own franchise. I would have loved for that to have happened, where we get different nationalities of kaiju. Honestly, if the monsterverse continues a part of me would really like to see the revival of some of these "rip-offs", but that'll never happen.

Edit: I'd also like to see any of these characters blossom back to life on their own, but I have even less faith that would ever happen
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I choose Yongary. Gorgo is fine enough being a single story. It doesn't need to continue. Yongary, however, could work. I can imagine a Yongary franchise being like the Gamera franchise of South Korea. Goofy, cheesy, but still fun and entertaining for kaiju fans of all ages (as long as they are good and not like Gamera Super Monster).
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I voted Yongary. With South Korea putting out world-class movies these days, I'd love to see Yongary get another shot at success.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gorgo or Yongary would work.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I say a tossup between Gorgo and Gappas. Having a family of kaiju would let itself well to differentiating itself from Godzilla and Gamera, and bring unique stories as Gorgo or Gappa grow up over time. You can just picture a heartbreaking scene where an adult of them comforts their parent(s) as the latter die of old age.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I'm also going to vote Gorgo. And here is a fun fact: Gorgo had a decently long comic book series that has enough material and stories for an entire film franchise. Looking at this description: "The first issue is an adaptation of the film, while the rest are original stories pitting Gorgo and his mother Ogra against various monsters, aliens, and human armies"

This has a variety of stories. You have normal skyscraper size kaiju stories with Orgra, Gorgo's mother, while also you have king Kong/ Jurassic park scale stories with Gorgo being only around 50 feet tall. There's even a land that time forgot crossover for Gorgo at one point where he saves some people from a Trex. You also have bat-shit insane stories with aliens and time travel.

So I vote Gorgo. Also, Konga had his own comic series like Gorgo (While not an actual story, there was a Gorgo vs. Konga cover for a trade paperback of various Gorgo and Konga issues).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Is imdb lying to me or did Konga actually get a recent reboot? (Albeit an interesting one from the looks of it).
He Jock it Made of Steel

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 am Is imdb lying to me or did Konga actually get a recent reboot? (Albeit an interesting one from the looks of it).
Technically yes, though it's really a glorified (or unglorified?) fan film. It was made in a dads backyard for his kids and since the Konga comics are public domain, you can make fan films.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Ah interesting,

Also no love for Gogola?
He Jock it Made of Steel

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Reptilicus. We need more Danish giant monsters. Plus I always wanted to see him fight a giant Hans Christian Anderson.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

The Octopus wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 am Reptilicus. We need more Danish giant monsters. Plus I always wanted to see him fight a giant Hans Christian Anderson.
They could have made Bride of Reptilicus where it tangles with a giant mermaid played by Ann Smyrner!

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 am Ah interesting,

Also no love for Gogola?
How can there be love for Gogola when all that anybody has seen from it are just some posters and lobby cards :roll:
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Purzel2205 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 am Ah interesting,

Also no love for Gogola?
How can there be love for Gogola when all that anybody has seen from it are just some posters and lobby cards :roll:
That is more than fair :lol: . Hard to be a franchise starter when you don't have any known surviving copies
He Jock it Made of Steel

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Gorgo and Yongary I feel would have the best shot at receiving a franchise. Gorgo in particular already had a comic series, and since Gorgo's public domain from what I've heard, it should be possible to make a film series based on his comics. Yongary, meanwhile, could possibly go the Gamera/Showa Godzilla route with him becoming a hero over the course of multiple films.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:03 amThat is more than fair :lol: . Hard to be a franchise starter when you don't have any known surviving copies
At least he has a kickass theme song.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Gorgo is my pick. Most developed knock off by far, so they could support a series.

Honorable mentions for me are Yonggary (for the same reasons Jetty Jag said), Galgameth (to stick it to Kim Jong Il), and Agon, mainly because I like the idea of a TV kaiju series that's not just henshin hero fodder)

RIP Evan.