Kaiju Design Appreciation Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Kaiju Design Appreciation Thread

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Honestly, I'm suprised there isn't already a thread like this. Basically, just post kaiju designs you find great. They can be from anything; movies, tv, comics, and even novels. Here's one from an interesting book series I don't see many people talking about.

Go King (translation could be wrong) from MM9 -destruction-:
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Design Appreciation Thread

Post by daveblackeye15 »

There's a few Ultra kaiju I really like.
Earthtron/Astron/Arstron
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ultra ... 0921204906
I guess you can argue it is really generic. Oh a walking reptile that spits fire? Never saw that before! But I dunno I think it's a good basic shape and I really like the curved horn on the head.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ultra ... 0819174028
Eleking because it's simple but the horns/eyes and strange mouth make it REALLY stick out. Not too weird but not too familiar either. Cool imposing but a little cute too.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:36 pm There's a few Ultra kaiju I really like.
Earthtron/Astron/Arstron
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ultra ... 0921204906
I guess you can argue it is really generic. Oh a walking reptile that spits fire? Never saw that before! But I dunno I think it's a good basic shape and I really like the curved horn on the head.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ultra ... 0819174028
Eleking because it's simple but the horns/eyes and strange mouth make it REALLY stick out. Not too weird but not too familiar either. Cool imposing but a little cute too.
Yeah, those are pretty good. I can't help but wonder how Tsuburaya makes so many theropod/bipedal lizard kaiju and nails every single one of them in terms of design. Well, except for Jomonoid and Dinosaur (no, not Dinozaur).

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Wait I just noticed the MM9 on that picture. Are there multiple MM9 books? Only one seems to have popped up.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Oh definitely, Eleking and Gomora are like the standouts of the Ultraman series as far as iconic designs go.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:57 pm Wait I just noticed the MM9 on that picture. Are there multiple MM9 books? Only one seems to have popped up.
There are three in total but only the first one got translated.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I remember enjoying the shout-outs and sense of history of MM9 but I couldn't really get hooked onto the characters but I did appreciate it was sort of a police procedure with each case. Sort of like Shin Godzilla in a way: more of a team effort than character dramas. But I'm interested in the other two.
But back to monsters. Hm I rather like that monster design for Invasion. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7GYWOyVsAAFIMA.jpg:large

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compre ... 0,630_.jpg

Makes me think of a fusion of Zetton, Garasharp and Legion.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:22 pm I remember enjoying the shout-outs and sense of history of MM9 but I couldn't really get hooked onto the characters but I did appreciate it was sort of a police procedure with each case. Sort of like Shin Godzilla in a way: more of a team effort than character dramas. But I'm interested in the other two.
But back to monsters. Hm I rather like that monster design for Invasion. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7GYWOyVsAAFIMA.jpg:large

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compre ... 0,630_.jpg

Makes me think of a fusion of Zetton, Garasharp and Legion.
That's Zero Kelvin. I like him and Go King equally. And while we're at it, the Gigan-looking one in the Destruction cover on Picture 1 is called Gigant (creative, I know) and Megadrake from the first MM9 book also has an image available that I can't post as an IMG for whatever reason).
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Some of my favorites -

Godzilla 1954, 64
Rodan 1956
Varan 1958
Mothra 1961, 64
King Ghidorah 1964, 65
Baragon 1965
Gaira 1966
Sanda 1966
Ebirah 1966
Gorosaurus 1967
Kamacuras 1967
Kumonga 1967
Anguirus 1968
Manda 1968
Hedorah 1971
Gigan 1972
Mechagodzilla 1974, 75
Titanosaurus 1975

Was gonna do more but burnt out after this.

FunkyFreshYT
Young Farmer

Post by FunkyFreshYT »

Does anyone remember the film Pulgasari? (The one from the motherland's offspring?)

I mean, let's be honest. Pulgasari is actually a BADASS looking Kaiju!

And Kenpatchiro Satsuma Quote "Liked the Movie more than Godzilla 1998"

That's a very bold statement for a movie that's story ain't even that good.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The kaiju from Howl from Beyond the Fog is a well designed suit I think. Very old school, early in the genre dinosaur-based aesthetic. Like, in an alternate universe I could see Toho having used this design for a movie instead of Godzilla, Anguirus, or Rodan.

Hmm...Godzilla = T-Rex and Stegosaur, Anguirus = Ankylosaur, Rodan = Pterodactyl, this film = Brachiosaur/long-necked dinosaur. Now we just need a triceratops kaiju...

I can't say they're exceptionally good suits, but I have to say I do like that the two adult suits in Gappa actually look different. Not sure which is supposed to be the male or female, but it would have been so easy to make them identical, so for what differences there are kudos.
FunkyFreshYT wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm Does anyone remember the film Pulgasari? (The one from the motherland's offspring?)

I mean, let's be honest. Pulgasari is actually a BADASS looking Kaiju!

And Kenpatchiro Satsuma Quote "Liked the Movie more than Godzilla 1998"

That's a very bold statement for a movie that's story ain't even that good.
I don't know - I'd have to actually see the suit in action rather than just the stills I've seen to make an opinion - but I'm kind of loathed to see it because of the whole, you know, kidnapping of the director thing...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 pmHmm...Godzilla = T-Rex and Stegosaur, Anguirus = Ankylosaur, Rodan = Pterodactyl, this film = Brachiosaur/long-necked dinosaur. Now we just need a triceratops kaiju...
Technically, we've got that with Agira from Ultraseven but if you're talking movie kaiju, I agree. I wonder if it could be done well with suitmation, though.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:32 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 pmHmm...Godzilla = T-Rex and Stegosaur, Anguirus = Ankylosaur, Rodan = Pterodactyl, this film = Brachiosaur/long-necked dinosaur. Now we just need a triceratops kaiju...
Technically, we've got that with Agira from Ultraseven but if you're talking movie kaiju, I agree. I wonder if it could be done well with suitmation, though.
I think so. I mean, there should be nothing harder about it than any other four-limbed type kaiju, like Anguirus or the one from Howl from Beyond the Fog. A cool design and a suit could definitely be made physically.

The real hurdle is, getting someone to make it. Kaiju films are difficult to make.
Last edited by Vakanai on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Since I just watched it, I'll leave here the titular monster from Negadon: The Monster from Mars.
Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Deathred from Gunbot, Koichi Kawakita's penultimate film.
Forgive me, this is the best image I could find of its full look.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Are fan-made designs allowed in this thread?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:50 pm Are fan-made designs allowed in this thread?
I sure as Hell hope so because now I'm curious what you'll pull outta your sleeve.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:50 pm Are fan-made designs allowed in this thread?
I mean, I guess. Show us what you've got

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:34 pm
I don’t have anything drawn in the past five years, lol. I was asking more for the purpose of showing off the work of other artists.

Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:59 pm
I sure as Hell hope so because now I'm curious what you'll pull outta your sleeve.
I mean... I could show my five year old sketches, but I promise they’re nothing special. I’m mediocre as artists go.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:49 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:34 pm
I don’t have anything drawn in the past five years, lol. I was asking more for the purpose of showing off the work of other artists.

Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:59 pm
I mean... I could show my five year old sketches, but I promise they’re nothing special. I’m mediocre as artists go.
So? I suck at drawing can't be worse than me lol.