Daimajin Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Daimajin Thread

Post by Terasawa »

I'm really disappointed with the eyes. The eyes are what made the original Majin so frightening in the first place.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The flaming wick attop his head is pretty nifty. I hope there's a nice awakening scene for him.

BTW - I wouldn't be averse to Miike making a over-the-top kids movie version of Gamera, too.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I. Cannot. Believe. This. Is. Happening! :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Poster too.

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Since many people will probably want to discuss the film separately, and the film is not EXCLUSIVELY a Daimajin film (It's also a Yokai Monsters thread) we'll discuss it here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31637
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

@kado_cine posted a tantalizing clip from the export version of Return of Daimajin here. Christ, it would be nice to have this dub... :/
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm starting the original Daimajin right now, courtesy of the Arrow set. I had no idea Akira Ifukube did the score for this movie! The opening theme is a variant of the GvMZ theme, I think? Really cool and menacing, anyway, and instantly increases my hype level. :D
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:34 pm I'm starting the original Daimajin right now, courtesy of the Arrow set. I had no idea Akira Ifukube did the score for this movie! The opening theme is a variant of the GvMZ theme, I think? Really cool and menacing, anyway, and instantly increases my hype level. :D
It does indeed use the first part of the Godzilla theme from MZ, as well as a modified section of Frankenstein's theme from FQTW.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

G-Matt wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:22 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:34 pm I'm starting the original Daimajin right now, courtesy of the Arrow set. I had no idea Akira Ifukube did the score for this movie! The opening theme is a variant of the GvMZ theme, I think? Really cool and menacing, anyway, and instantly increases my hype level. :D
It does indeed use the first part of the Godzilla theme from MZ, as well as a modified section of Frankenstein's theme from FQTW.
Yeah, I thought some of the Frankenstein theme was in there, too. Thanks!

Added in 1 hour 21 minutes :
And I'm done. Wow. Where was this when Daiei was making the Gamera movies out of toothpicks and gum? Or Warning From Space? Like, is this really the same studio? :lol: There's no comparison!

This is one of the high points of the genre. A very engaging and unconventional story with a solid cast that carry the movie perfectly until the monster finally makes his appearance. And he is worth waiting for. Save for Godzilla on his best days, maybe, I can't immediately think of another kaiju with this level of sheer menace and power. He owns every second of screentime, and doesn't leave me asking for a second more.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:52 am This is one of the high points of the genre. A very engaging and unconventional story with a solid cast that carry the movie perfectly until the monster finally makes his appearance. And he is worth waiting for. Save for Godzilla on his best days, maybe, I can't immediately think of another kaiju with this level of sheer menace and power. He owns every second of screentime, and doesn't leave me asking for a second more.

Glad you enjoyed it. What's extra shocking is that all three films are more or less the same quality.

However, I'd like to point out that Gamera versus Barugon came out in the same year as all three films. While still there's a substantial gap in quality, Gamera vs. Barugon is easily the most well made film in the Showa Gamera series and actually does briefly have moments of grimness, such as Barugon's rampage. I don't know enough about Daiei, but I assume they had some money in the early 60's and then everything went to shit due to TV.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Something hammered home by the supplements is that Daimajin and Yokai movies were made by Daiei's Kyoto studio (which made Zatoichi and other period films) while Gamera was done by the Tokyo studio, which made contemporary films. Despite being the same company, the stylistic difference between the series is partially due to the differences in those two divisions of Daiei.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:22 am Something hammered home by the supplements is that Daimajin and Yokai movies were made by Daiei's Kyoto studio (which made Zatoichi and other period films) while Gamera was done by the Tokyo studio, which made contemporary films. Despite being the same company, the stylistic difference between the series is partially due to the differences in those two divisions of Daiei.
Ah. Well, that makes sense, then.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:06 am However, I'd like to point out that Gamera versus Barugon came out in the same year as all three films. While still there's a substantial gap in quality, Gamera vs. Barugon is easily the most well made film in the Showa Gamera series and actually does briefly have moments of grimness, such as Barugon's rampage. I don't know enough about Daiei, but I assume they had some money in the early 60's and then everything went to shit due to TV.
Daiei's president Masaichi Nagata was really bad about spending money, which, combined with the industry's collapse around 1971, is what directly led to the bankruptcy that closed Daiei's doors. It wasn't just frivolous spending, he was really interested in filmmaking as an art and often bankrolled lavish prestige projects which over time came to hurt the company's finances.

Meanwhile, the original Gamera was a kind of test to see if Daiei could field a crew that could compete with Toho's sci-fi output (Toho having had a near monopoly on that genre since the '50s). It was shot essentially as a B-film to be safe, but it made enough that they quickly greenlit not only a sequel but Majin, too. This kinda turned out to be another prestige project, as Daiei was apparently really proud of putting two brand new monster films out on the same program, which was a feat not even Tsuburaya/Toho accomplished in their heyday. As Angilasman said, they were able to accomplish this by utilizing both of their studios.

Also, both of these were A-movies: Yuasa said Barugon cost about ¥80 million, and while I can't find a reliable figure for Majin, Wikipedia implies it probably cost more than ¥100 million. (And it looks like only the last Majin film cost under ¥100 mil.) To put that in perspective, Gamera vs. Viras and Gamera vs. Guiron cost ¥24 million each. That's because, while Barugon, Majin, and especially Gamera vs. Gyaos were successful, they weren't runaway successes. So Daiei's executives ordered more of the same at a fraction of the cost, and it worked.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:14 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:06 am However, I'd like to point out that Gamera versus Barugon came out in the same year as all three films. While still there's a substantial gap in quality, Gamera vs. Barugon is easily the most well made film in the Showa Gamera series and actually does briefly have moments of grimness, such as Barugon's rampage. I don't know enough about Daiei, but I assume they had some money in the early 60's and then everything went to poop due to TV.
Daiei's president Masaichi Nagata was really bad about spending money, which, combined with the industry's collapse around 1971, is what directly led to the bankruptcy that closed Daiei's doors. It wasn't just frivolous spending, he was really interested in filmmaking as an art and often bankrolled lavish prestige projects which over time came to hurt the company's finances.

Meanwhile, the original Gamera was a kind of test to see if Daiei could field a crew that could compete with Toho's sci-fi output (Toho having had a near monopoly on that genre since the '50s). It was shot essentially as a B-film to be safe, but it made enough that they quickly greenlit not only a sequel but Majin, too. This kinda turned out to be another prestige project, as Daiei was apparently really proud of putting two brand new monster films out on the same program, which was a feat not even Tsuburaya/Toho accomplished in their heyday. As Angilasman said, they were able to accomplish this by utilizing both of their studios.

Also, both of these were A-movies: Yuasa said Barugon cost about ¥80 million, and while I can't find a reliable figure for Majin, Wikipedia implies it probably cost more than ¥100 million. (And it looks like only the last Majin film cost under ¥100 mil.) To put that in perspective, Gamera vs. Viras and Gamera vs. Guiron cost ¥24 million each. That's because, while Barugon, Majin, and especially Gamera vs. Gyaos were successful, they weren't runaway successes. So Daiei's executives ordered more of the same at a fraction of the cost, and it worked.
Thank you for all this information and yes that explains a lot.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

To tie-in to what LSD said about extravagant and probably unwise spending: Daiei bought a huge, expensive blue screen setup to do Hollywood-quality composite shots, then only used them for Daimajin and the Yokai movies. Not exactly a return on investment!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Controversial hot take, complete with snootiness (read at your own risk)!!!!!

I scoff at, roll my eyes at, and give looks of disdain to anyone who complains about The Majin Strikes Again having children as the main characters. They were extremely courageous and bold (especially the youngest one) and were not annoying at all.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

H-Man wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:38 am Controversial hot take, complete with snootiness (read at your own risk)!!!!!

I scoff at, roll my eyes at, and give looks of disdain to anyone who complains about The Majin Strikes Again having children as the main characters. They were extremely courageous and bold (especially the youngest one) and were not annoying at all.
Agreed. That's probably the Majin movie I enjoy the most, largely because I find the kids more compelling than the adult leads in the other two movies.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

eabaker wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:45 am
H-Man wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:38 am Controversial hot take, complete with snootiness (read at your own risk)!!!!!

Agreed. That's probably the Majin movie I enjoy the most, largely because I find the kids more compelling than the adult leads in the other two movies.
Brother!

And the little brother strolling into the bad guys' camp and nonchalantly stealing their food like a 'G'. Awesome!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I agree, it avoided the typical annoying kids trope that other kaiju movies of the time fell in. The kids here were normal, likable, and didn't impact the story or quality negatively at all. It's kind of like the anti-Gamera that way.

Also, didn't they kill off one of the kids?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

^Yeah, one of them drowned in the river, I believe.