Daimajin Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Daimajin Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

Just found another figure depicting Keiko armor that bears a striking resemblance to Daimajin.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Living Corpse wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:I think Daimajin would be super-ripe for a modern reboot.

The "Stone statue" nature of the character, I think, would actually lend itself well to a modern rendition that STILL uses suitmation.

The knocks on suitmation are the stiffness, the lack of feeling 'alive' etc etc.....but if you are dealing with a giant stone, moving, "alive" statue....then almost all of the typical drawbacks of suitmation for giant monsters falls by the wayside.

You are also dealing overtly in fantasy/magic AND a period setting which further removes it from our modern consciousness....both of those things help you overcome the suspension of disbelief that comes with 'giant monsters in the modern world'.

Just as a Gamera movie comes with a lot less "legacy/identity baggage" that the Godzilla mythology carries, Daimajin is a giant monster(esque) movie that manages to not come with a huge amount of the difficulties and drawbacks that often hinder the genre.

Overtly making the giant monster a more clear-cut plot device as opposed to the main focal point of the film is something else that I think could be a real advantage.

I'm an optimist on this sort of thing though.
Or we could just watch the reboot and not give a skreeonk what others think. We live in the "bitching" era where where no one is happy unless they are bitching so they will find something to nitpick.
I'm just saying, for fans and non-fans....a period piece fantasy stone statue kaiju can be pulled off in a way that steps around some of the hardest things to pull off in the genre. Convincing kaiju, story execution, etc.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Chrispy_G wrote:I'm just saying, for fans and non-fans....a period piece fantasy stone statue kaiju can be pulled off in a way that steps around some of the hardest things to pull off in the genre. Convincing kaiju, story execution, etc.
Fair enough.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Living Corpse wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:28 pm I would love it if Arrow Video gave the Daimajin Trilogy the same love and treatment they gave Gamera in their boxset.
It seems like that is indeed what is happening.

I just hope it doesn't end up as a UK exclusive or something.

I've heard that the Mill Creek Daimajin Blu Rays looked very good, or were overall very good presentations...Arrow would/should either match or surpass that in the audio-video department. Each film getting an audio commentary, and maybe a small booklet or insert with some essays/background information, that would all be well and good. I'm sure any packaging/artwork would be pretty glorious.

With only 3 films there is only so much crazy comprehensive legacy stuff to really pack in for any home market release.

I suppose they could include the TV series? I frankly don't know much about that and I remember hearing that it is very much UNLIKE the original 3 films in terms of style/execution? That it is a bit of an oddity...but I may be mis-remembering what I've heard.

Either way, I REALLY need to just buckle down and watch these soon. I'm sure I'll find plenty to enjoy.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I love that on here, as well as other places for reviews or videos or podcasts....it seems like the answer of "which is the best of the three, and which is the worst" seems to just vary quite a bit from person to person. It makes me excited to watch them all.

To see people who prefer the novelty of the first, or the more "Stand By Me" type of boys adventure of the 3rd...it is fascinating.

Yet you always hear praise of the cinematography, effects, and music pretty much across the board. I'm really excited to give them a watch soon, and here's hoping that if Arrow is to release them that it isn't a UK exclusive or something.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

AK Siwach wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 pm How are the two sequels compared to the original? I have been meaning to watch them but never got the chance. They certainly look cool.
Honestly I'd say they're the same in quality. If anything, that's kind of the weakness of the films - individually each one is amazing and stellar, top quality through and through, but they're also so similar that you get kind of a glazed "seen one, seen them all" feeling if you try to marathon them. Each one is so good I don't think any is better or worse than another, but I'd strongly recommend putting at least a week or two between watching each movie so the others aren't fresh in your mind when you watch them.

That said the second one is my personal favorite, but that's just because I like the "on the water" sets more.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Evidently Arrow video had teased a "D Box" when they teased all of their releases for the year...that could mean anything, there is also a G Box of some kind apparently teased.

Would be sweet if they gave us the Daimajin Trilogy.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Did anyone here ever watch the Daimajin Kanon series? If so, was it any good?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

H-Man wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 am Did anyone here ever watch the Daimajin Kanon series? If so, was it any good?
Yes. And No.

It is absolute trash and has nothing to do with the prior films, the lore or anything of the kind. It's a cheaply made, boring as shit cash in on the name that takes more influence from Kamen Rider and Sentai than it does the trilogy, and it can't even manage to be even a bit entertaining.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm
H-Man wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 am Did anyone here ever watch the Daimajin Kanon series? If so, was it any good?
Yes. And No.

It is absolute trash and has nothing to do with the prior films, the lore or anything of the kind. It's a cheaply made, boring as poop cash in on the name that takes more influence from Kamen Rider and Sentai than it does the trilogy, and it can't even manage to be even a bit entertaining.
Thank you for your response! So, I won't invest my time in it. Gotcha!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

H-Man wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:11 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm
Yes. And No.

It is absolute trash and has nothing to do with the prior films, the lore or anything of the kind. It's a cheaply made, boring as poop cash in on the name that takes more influence from Kamen Rider and Sentai than it does the trilogy, and it can't even manage to be even a bit entertaining.
Ditto. Thanks!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I’d say this is a series that deserves a second chance at revival. They should do a new movie (or TV series) done in the same style as the 1966 trilogy.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:33 pm I’d say this is a series that deserves a second chance at revival. They should do a new movie (or TV series) done in the same style as the 1966 trilogy.
Completely agree. Have wondered if Daimajin could cross over with Gamera since Kadokawa owns both.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:16 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm It is absolute trash and has nothing to do with the prior films, the lore or anything of the kind. It's a cheaply made, boring as poop cash in on the name that takes more influence from Kamen Rider and Sentai than it does the trilogy, and it can't even manage to be even a bit entertaining.
Ditto. Thanks!
Keep in mind this is MM.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

tbeasley wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:38 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:16 pm

Ditto. Thanks!
Keep in mind this is MM.
I don't follow...does he like...hate everything or something?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Apparently, Daimajin is returning for the Yokai Momsters film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Rather depressing to see Daimajin being turned into a pop action hero, but oh well. Design looks good. Hope we see a more dramatic return to norm though. This does look better than Kanon, at least.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Hell yeah! Honestly, I had a suspicion this would happen because Miike wanted to do a Daimajin film years ago!

Can't wait!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Wow. Daimajin looks badass, especially with that sword! Can’t wait to see more of this Daimajin in action :D
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: