The THING remake... again?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

The THING remake... again?

Post by realinvaderdesign »

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/360 ... nal-novel/

So apparently "The Thing" is getting yet another reboot/remake. According to various sources universal plans to create a newer version of the story based off the original story "who goes there" and the recently uncovered "frozen hell", which makes me wonder if it will be a period piece or set in current times like the John Carpenter classic. But I think the main question is will they use piratical effects , or will they be "too 1980s" again to execs.

I think the problem with me is asides The Godzilla franchise, John Carpenters The Thing is my favourite movie so I dont know how I feel about this new take on the story, especially after the 2011 reboot, which is an ok movie, but as mentioned before, the cg shots replacing the particle effects (which looked 1000 times better judging by the behind the scenes footage) essentially made me never watch it again.

What do you guys think? Is the world ready for another "Thing?"

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The THING remake... again?

Post by Gigantis »

Oh boy.

On the one hand, i'm not against it. If anything i could need something terrifying like The Thing in a world were almost no horror movie is actually scary.

On the other hand, it's probably gonna be done in CGI. I don't like that. Thing needs praticle effects to make it work.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I needed more Thing content in my life. So this is a go for me.

I'm sure they've learned from previous CG mistakes, and will likely go with a mixture of practical and CGI.

However, i hope it's not set in modern times, nothing is scary about a Thing using an iPhone to attract a victim to their room.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I don't know why we constantly bring this point up like we believe it won't happen - of course it is going to use CGI over practical effects. There's really no question here. (Not trying to be a jerk about it, but after two decades of nearly everything being CG, I'm tired of reading this whenever a movie is announced over discussions about stuff that might actually be in the movie.)

Now, unto things we actually don't know, I wonder what the movie will actually be like if it is closer to the short story. I've seen a few movies now based on Who Goes There - Thing From Another World, Carpenter's Thing, and strangely a movie with Peter Cushing on a train. Having never read the story I can't say which if any of them most closely follows the story.

Added in 7 minutes 26 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:I'm sure they've learned from previous CG mistakes, and will likely go with a mixture of practical and CGI.
The truth is that the most probable lesson learned was if you're going to CGI over the practical effects anyways, don't bloat the budget with any practical effects to begin with.
Last edited by Vakanai on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It would be cool if they made it closer to the original short-story, Who Goes There?

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Vakanai wrote: Now, unto things we actually don't know, I wonder what the movie will actually be like if it is closer to the short story. I've seen a few movies now based on Who Goes There - Thing From Another World, Carpenter's Thing, and strangely a movie with Peter Cushing on a train. Having never read the story I can't say which if any of them most closely follows the story.
I had to double check the peter cushing one, its called "Horror express", i had heard of the movie, didnt realise it was an adaption of "who goes there?, I have read the book, and the John Carpenter version is the closest, having much of the same characters (though some are name dropped only), having a creature that shape shifts into other beings etc and has an ambiguous ending (though not the same as the movie). Only Differences is that theres no norwegian team, they have already discovered the alien and that there is alot more people at the american camp. Theres also a description of the aliens default form which is also on the cover of "frozen hell", this would be an interesting design to see if its put to film.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I think that the word you guys are looking for is "practical", and no, we don't need another one. Unless it's a straight adaptation of Frozen Hell...

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Leave it alone, you already molsted JC's take.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Another pointless remake is pointless remake. Hollywood really needs to learn to leave the classics alone as they are.

Its only a matter of time until we get an inevitable Jaws remake with an obvious CGI shark.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

So many of you didn’t even read the post/article and it shows.

This isn’t a remake of The Thing. It’s an adaptation of Frozen Hell, the full version of the short story that the Carpenter film was based on.
GO GO GOJI KUN

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:So many of you didn’t even read the post/article and it shows.

This isn’t a remake of The Thing. It’s an adaptation of Frozen Hell, the full version of the short story that the Carpenter film was based on.
So it's a adaption.....of the story.... that inspired an adaptation.....of a film......but its not a remake.

......yall listen before you type?

RIP Evan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maybe change the title so its not misleading.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:So many of you didn’t even read the post/article and it shows.

So it's a adaption.....of the story.... that inspired an adaptation.....of a film......but its not a remake.

......yall listen before you type?
Yes bingo. It isn’t. Don’t see what you’re getting at here. It isn’t a remake.
GO GO GOJI KUN

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I read the story a few years ago and while it's hazy I remember it being different enough tonally and plot wise to warrant it being made.

However, to say that this isn't another Thing remake is crazy. That's clearly the intention here.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

An adaption of the same story is probably gonna be a fucking remake.

Especially because there's not a lot you can do with the plot "paranoid researchers try to find an alien shapeshifter in a Antarctic research base"
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:An adaption of the same story is probably gonna be a skreeonking remake.

Especially because there's not a lot you can do with the plot "paranoid researchers try to find an alien shapeshifter in a Antarctic research base"
Who cares? There's still merit in more closely adapting the source material.

Besides, how many adaptations are close to remakes anyways? All the Draculas and Frankensteins out there. This is nothing new.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't mind another Thing. It's a classic sci fi story, and I am curious how Frozen Hell will influence it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:09 am Another pointless remake is pointless remake. Hollywood really needs to learn to leave the classics alone as they are.

Its only a matter of time until we get an inevitable Jaws remake with an obvious CGI shark.
I read this as "invisible shark" because I'm groggy out of bed :lol:

As far as a new Thing remake/reboot/re-whatever... Ed is right, it's a classic sci-fi story. I'd be ok with a new one if it did everything in its power not to be anything like John Carpenter's. I'm so tired of seeing references to The Thing crammed into much less ambitious films and the odd TV show. It's a story that has potential for multiple classic interpretations, from what I remember about the novella.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

I want this movie. It's an actual remake. And hopefully this time it's good and does well enough to get a proper sequel. Im never gonna get over how we never got a sequel to the 82 movie. The shitty comics dont count. Aint trynna see The Thing romance.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I'll be happy with it as long as it's a faithful adaptation of the Frozen Hell story. Have it take place in the 30s, have it take place in Antarctica and they should even give it the "Frozen Hell" title so that it won't be confused with the other movies (I still don't understand why the 2011 prequel was given the same title as the 1982 film). Also, have the movie be it's own thing. It they try to make it be too much like the previous two films, then I'm just going to roll my eyes.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft