Monsterfest 2019

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Monsterfest 2019

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:42 pm

For chess players, checkmate means that an opponent's king is trapped and has no way to escape. This usually ends a chess game. For most people, checkmate means when someone .. or something … is defeated. From thrillers to horror to superhero films, these movies typically end with the villain or threat being stopped. This is the focus for m-fest this year.

The first way to defeat a monster, alien, mutant, etc., is the element of fire. Fire was the first force of nature utilized by man, and has brought some useful advantages. It brings heat and light, cooks food, allows us to work metal, and is vital for making smores when camping. However, fire can unleash great destruction. Wild fires cause millions of dollars of damage every year in the U.S. It's destructive power has been harnessed in movies as a way of destroying monsters, like Frankenstein.

The first example is a Gene Corman film called Night of the Blood Beast. This is definately a B movie, but has an interesting plot. A pilot is testing a space capsule, but it crashes to Earth. While the pilot appears dead, he also shows signs of being alive. Strange things happen on the base, and then the pilot comes back to life. He is discovered to have alien embryos inside him, as an alien lingers around the base. This may be the first movie representation of an alien using a human as an incubator. It would be done better in other films, like Alien, but this is probably the first to do so. The film is entertaining, but wouldn't win any awards. The second film to use fire is a giant arachnid film from Universal. In Tarantula, a scientist is trying to create a nutrient formula to solve world hunger in the future. One of his test animals- you know which one- escapes during a fire. As the rapidly growing spider feeds on man and beast, the sheriff and the town doctor try to figure out what's going on. This is one of my favorite scifi movies. It's well acted and has the lovley Mara Corday. I also like that they use a real spider blown up by camera tricks to potray the monster. For fans of Clint Eastwood, check out his cameo at the film's climax.

To make things interesting, here's a little challenge for you. I'll give you a scenario, and you must create your own solution to it. Here goes one:

You and your friends are sailing on a yacht. Things are going great, until a sudden strom damages the yacht and sends it drifting. You drift near an island, but run into a field of seaweed surrounding the island. One of youir friends touches the seaweed, which wrapps around his hand like a visegrip and gives him a serious acid burn. You reach the island in the center.

Exploring the island, you find an old lab. There's a gas generator and two barrels of gas, containers of ammonia, some chemical salts, and copper wireing. You work at fixing the yacht, but observe that the seaweed is closing around the island. As it grows closer, it becomes thicker. To escape the island, you must figure a way to get through the deadly seaweed.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Re: Monsterfest 2019

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Well, I would try and make some sort of makeshift weed killer from what's available. Use it to free the boat and get away from there.

I'm not going to lie, this scenario is very similar to the movie The Flesh Eaters. In which a group of people trapped on an island by the work of a mad scientist. His work being incredible hungry microbe creatures that strip the meat off a person in a minute. Another really good mad scientist on island movie, Terror Is A Man. A mad scientist was conducting experiments on a panther in a mad attempt to make it human. The effort drove the creature mad and in its rage, the Beast Man kill the scientist and his assentient. The movie is the first in the Blood Island series.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:53 am

Actually, the killer seaweed idea came from a British film called The Lost Continent. I have seen The Flesh Eaters, and it's a good thriller.

There are other forces in nature, and none have changed us more than electricity. Man has been using electricity for a long time. An ancient artifact called the Bagdad battery shows that humans have had some understanding of this power source since ancient times. Today, we couldn't live without electricity. Our technological society depends on it. Electricity also has a dark side as it has been used as a means of execution. Hollywood has used it in a similar fashion on monsters. The Thing's electrifying ending is a prime example.

Another example is the film Attack of the Crab Monsters. It concerns scientists on a remote island studying the effects of radioactive fallout on the island and to find out what happened to the first group of scientists who came. Strange and frightening things happen almost immediately, and they discover the cause to be a pair of giant mutated crabs, which have an appetite for human flesh. The special effects for the film are cheap, but the cast does a good job with the film. They deliver an engaging and convincing performance. I recommend it for anyone who likes 1950s sci fi. The second film is another invertebrate of giant size. The Black Scorpion is about geologists investigating a volcano erupting in Mexico. They find odd and scary things going on as well. The eruption has opened a cave containing giant prehistoric scorpions, with the Black Scorpion being the biggest of them all.
This film features the work of Willis Obrien, and the scorpions are well done. The close up of their faces is not as good, but this movie is a good example of the giant insect genre.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

A much better movie about radioactive mutation is "Day The World Ended". They hide the monster for much of the movie, but the pay-off is worth it, as the creature looks pretty good. The beasties in Attack of the Crab Monsters just look silly, IMO

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:58 am

MandaSaurus wrote:A much better movie about radioactive mutation is "Day The World Ended". They hide the monster for much of the movie, but the pay-off is worth it, as the creature looks pretty good. The beasties in Attack of the Crab Monsters just look silly, IMO

It's been awhile since I've seen Day the World Ended. It's mutant does look better than the crabs, but I have just have a soft spot for Roger Corman.

In Greek myth, the warrior Achilles had an advantage over others. He was practically invincible. Practically. When his mother dipped him in the river Styx, she held him by his heel, making his heel his only vunerable point. During the attack on Troy, he was hit in the heel by an arrow and killed. It's from this character that we get the term for a flaw or weakness, Achille's heel. No matter how powerful a hero or villain may be, they can sometimes be humbled by something simple. Superman has great power, but a little green rock will put him at your mercy. Monsters can have weaknesses too. For example, the mutant in Day the World Ended was killed by pure, clean rain.

The first film is another Corman film, and his best in my opinion. Not of this Earth is about an alien calling himself Mr. Johnson. His planet is dying of a plague, and human blood might provide a cure. As Johnson kills and takes human blood, he is receiving daily transfusions from a nurse. Suspicious events cause the nurse and servant to think that Johnson is not what he seems, and they aim to find out what he is. Paul Birch's performance is what mainly drives this film. He well potrays an intelligent, methodical, and cold blooded killer, with moments of curiosity when it comes to Earth matters. The film also has a couple of Corman regulars, like the servant Jeremy, who starred in Little Shop of Horrors. The second film needs no introduction. The Wolf Man is a film both horror and tragedy. While it dispenses with the full moon aspect of the werewolf myth, it added some new material. the main one is the little poem:

" Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night,
May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

This version of the werewolf would continue for several Universal horror films, and Lon Chaney Jr. did the role for all of them.

For those interested in the scenarios, here's another one. You work at a nuclear research lab. a coworker, Susan, is accidentally exposed to an experimental isotope. She, however, shows no radiation poisoning. She does develope a craving for radiation, though. You catch her feeding on radioactive material, and further test show her becoming dangerously radioactive. Forced to remain at home, she forces a man to bring her radiation to feed on. This gives her a lethal touch that kills the man.

Following the trail of victims, you and the police track her down to a nuclear plant. There's a dead guard near the decontamination chamber. You find her feeding on a big meal, and it changes her to a living being of radiation. Bullets have no effect. How do you stop Miss Nuclear?

Added in 14 days 27 minutes 12 seconds:
Isaac Newton is known for many things, but his theories on gravity are probably what most people remember. Gravity is an universal force that we are both grateful for and curse. Without gravity, we'd float off into space, and our planet would drift off into the cold blackness of space. We also regret it when we slip on ice and bump our knees or backside. Gravity effects us all, and monsters as well. King Kong would testify to the power of gravity, falling to his death. Other monsters have suffered the deadly effects of falls.

The first to do is the Ymir. In 20 Million Miles to Earth, the unhatched Ymir is brought to Earth by an American expedition to Venus. The ship crashes near Italy, and a boy sells the egg to a scientist. The egg hatches, and the Ymir soon escapes. The rapidly growing Ymir eventually rampages through Rome and falls off the top of the Colosseum. This is one my favorite Harryhausen creations. The Ymir not only looks good, but has a sympathetic story. It can be fierce when needed, but man is the true villain here, exploiting an innocent life that never wanted to come to Earth. Ray makes a cameo in the film. He can briefly be seen as the elephant keeper. The second film is Cult of the Cobra. In it, a group of GIs sneak into a secret ceremony of snake worshippers. They are found out and escape, but not before a curse is uttered at them. Back in America, one of the GIs meets a woman named Lisa. His friends begin to die after that, and one of the GIs suspects Lisa of being a killer. This film feels like a less classy version of The Cat People. Faith Domegue plays Lisa, a woman who has a mission, but feels conflicted by her feelings towards one of her targets. Domergues' performance can be a little to dramatic in scenes, but it's an entertaining film.

Now for another scenario. You are sent out to investigate the destruction of several ships. Each one is found with a precise pair of punctures in the hull. A minisub search reveals the presence of a huge dragonfly nymph. You try to kill it before it turns into an adult, but it takes to the sky. The air force tries to kill it, but the dragonfly is too fast and agile for the planes. Meanwhile, the dragonfly is taking down anything that flies. How do you kill it?

Added in 12 minutes 16 seconds:
I know I'm late here, but Happy Halloween. I've been unable to get online, and I'm just now able to post.

So far we've seen monster and aliens stopped by all kinds of things. From fire to Gravity, we've seen man triumph over his foes. But, what if the monster won? Could a beast emerge that was so unstoppable man was helpless before it? To kaiju fans, the answer is yes. Man can lose, and has lost in some films. This flip of events can be seen in a pair of kaiju films.

Mothra needs no introduction. We all know the story of the giant moth and its rescue mission. Man is again the villain here; Nelson's greed and arrogance contrast with the benevolent Mothra. Yes, Mothra does cause destruction, but not for malice or hatred. Like the monster's before in this topic, Nelson meets his end. Mothra then triumphs over a mankind desperate to stop the destruction is cannot stop. The next movie also features greed and a monster on a rescue mission. Gorgo proves the Brits have can make their own kaiju, and do a great job at it. The suit is well done, and the script is intelligent. Gorgo moves at a brisk pace, but it's a good film. I love the reporter at the end, admitting man's folly of claiming that " he alone is lord of all creation."

Return to “Monster Manor”