Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Honestly, if they keep doing the prices they're offering, I will no doubt buy em. Holy crap. 28 Episodes of UltraQ for basically, 28 dollars? 39 Episodes of Ultraman for less then 30? These are very nice prices.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

The regular edition of Ultraman is on sale for 44% off on Amazon, so you can own the whole series for under $25!

EDIT:
The Ultra Q steelbook just dropped to $28!
Last edited by goji1986 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Nice, nice, NICE! I'll keep an eye out to see if the Ultraman steelbook goes on sale soon too!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Since there are on Amazon I just went and pre ordered both steel books.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I'm am VERY impressed with these prices. Let's see if when pre-orders are done they keep the prices though.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

I can't wait for these to arrive, the prices are just perfect.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Ultraman steelbook is now $30.20!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Got the steelbook for Ultra Q on preorder but 50/50 on Ultraman. Really excited for what the future holds for Utra in the US with these releases!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I've read that the steelbook versions are packaged very strangely (the booklets are not packaged inside the case but rather on the outside with the slipcovers) and the discs are stacked on each side so that's definitely a minus for me. I'm sticking with the regular releases.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:I've read that the steelbook versions are packaged very strangely (the booklets are not packaged inside the case but rather on the outside with the slipcovers) and the discs are stacked on each side so that's definitely a minus for me. I'm sticking with the regular releases.
I don't think the regular editions are going to be much different though. Mill Creek stacks their discs in regular cases too. IN fact, in my old Ultraman DVD set they just packed each disc into a paper sleeve and stacked those on top of each other inside of the case. There wasn't even a hub to put the discs on in the case.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I've read that the steelbook versions are packaged very strangely (the booklets are not packaged inside the case but rather on the outside with the slipcovers) and the discs are stacked on each side so that's definitely a minus for me. I'm sticking with the regular releases.
I don't think the regular editions are going to be much different though. Mill Creek stacks their discs in regular cases too. IN fact, in my old Ultraman DVD set they just packed each disc into a paper sleeve and stacked those on top of each other inside of the case. There wasn't even a hub to put the discs on in the case.
Possibly, but at least with a regular case you can swap it out for something better. Can’t do that with the steelbook.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
I really wish they didn't do that, to be honest.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Possibly, but at least with a regular case you can swap it out for something better. Can’t do that with the steelbook.
Only if you find a proper case that will fit in the box. I've come to discover that the cases companies use are different from the cases you can buy and they don't always fit in the same slipcase or box because they are a CM or 2 bigger.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Never gotten into Ultraman or any of this stuff before....but hearing that a single company has gotten the rights to start releasing EVERYTHING in the canon, volume after volume....it sounds quite exciting. It tempts me to just blind buy and start watching all of this stuff. I mean, I feel like it would be in my wheelhouse, being a Godzilla fan....but it also sounds like a daunting property to become a fan of. It is just SO MUCH content and such a huge property.

It is like deciding out of nowhere 'Hey, I think I'll get into this Star Trek thing' when there are over a dozen movies and what....a thousand episodes of material?
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote:Never gotten into Ultraman or any of this stuff before....but hearing that a single company has gotten the rights to start releasing EVERYTHING in the canon, volume after volume....it sounds quite exciting. It tempts me to just blind buy and start watching all of this stuff. I mean, I feel like it would be in my wheelhouse, being a Godzilla fan....but it also sounds like a daunting property to become a fan of. It is just SO MUCH content and such a huge property.

It is like deciding out of nowhere 'Hey, I think I'll get into this Star Trek thing' when there are over a dozen movies and what....a thousand episodes of material?
While it is a huge property with a lot of content, as with Star Trek most of the series can really be taken on their own without requiring familiarity with the whole thing. Also, not all the shows exist within a single ongoing continuity, so you can always just choose one thread to dive into. For instance, just the Showa continuity (which also includes a few of the Heisei series), or just the various Ultraseven series (the original Ultraseven can be viewed as either an early entry in the Ultraman continuity, or as the first entry in its own separate continuity).

I meant to make things seem simpler for you, but I'm afraid I just made them seem more complicated.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I appreciate it all the same. I just happen to have a 'completist' attitude most of the time. It is hard for me to just get into SOME parts of a franchise, but the fact that there are multiple continuities is interesting and might provide some different 'entry points' for me. I definitely need to do a hardcore wiki dive on the entire subject.

My dad is a die hard fan, at least he is a die hard fan of whatever Ultraman he experienced growing up(He was born in 67).....he is always saying that "They need to bring Ultraman back like they have Godzilla!"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

An easy entry would be any of the alternative continuity series. That's largely how I've started. It also depends on what you're preferences are. Nexus for example was a more mature and story oriented take on the franchise and featured a more serialized approach. It eschews the typical monster-of-the-week formula of most Ultra series with most kaiju usually lasting multiple episodes. Tiga/Dyna is also considered a decent starting point. Tiga is available on DVD in the states but they're long out of print but I just looked and they're still available on Ebay and for a decent price it seems.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Tiga is available on DVD in the states but they're long out of print but I just looked and they're still available on Ebay and for a decent price it seems.
Volumes 1, 2 and 4 are available for a decent price. For some reason volume 3 is much harder to find and far more expensive.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I've just recently nuked most of my movie collection. I'm pretty much down to Godzilla, the Jurassic Franchise, Lord of the Rings, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and a few one-offs like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and a handful of others. I sold off everything else.

So I'm kinda looking for something like a Dragon Ball Z or maybe even an Ultraman. Nice 'easy' but big properties that I can collect over time in installments, watch and get some fun entertainment out of over a long period of time. I suppose I have until October to really decide.

If I go with beginning an Ultraman collection(And signing away all of the free time in my life from now until I die)...I think I'll avoid the Steelbooks. They look cool, but the bigger sets look like they'll stand up on their own better, while Steelbooks SOMETIMES do that, but still have that 'fall right over when stood on their own' trait that every Blu Ray disc has.

Added in 11 days 1 hour 28 minutes 9 seconds:
I watched episode 1 of Ultraman, and I gotta say I had a lot of fun....it had the classic Kaiju charm to it. I can't believe I'm considering going ALL ABOARD such a massive property.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: I can't believe I'm considering going ALL ABOARD such a massive property.
Yeah, I'm a little daunted by that, too... but the massive extent of the franchise can be a good thing, of course. If we end up liking it, we'll have a steady stream of kaiju material to last the rest of our lives. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio