What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by edgaguirus »

MST3K has shown some awful movies, and some fun ones. Devilfish lies somewhere in between, but it is definitely bad. I will give it points for using a prehistoric fish hybrid, though. What I wonder is if this movie inspired another one? It has a prehistoric fish/octopus hybrid, and sometime later came a movie about a shark/octopus hybrid called Sharktopus. There are other similarities, but that would posting spoilers.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I finally got around to watching the first How to Train Your Dragon movie. I don't watch a lot of animated films and even fewer that aren't based on comic book properties, but I had a blast watching it. I'm here to tell you, it's as great as everyone says it is, a treat for viewers of all ages. The animation is top notch, which looked even more dazzling in 4K, but the story really grabbed me from start to finish. This film grows in a lot of different places, you almost feel like you're right there with Hiccup, from his devolving father-son relationship to his finding and befriending Night Fury. Any pet lover will instantly feel warm inside watching his scenes with Night Fury.

This is all topped off with some great action, an amazing ending and creature designs that look straight out of a Monster Hunter game, which now that I mention it, this is a lot more Monster Hunter than the actual Monster Hunter movie we got, thanks once again, Paul. :roll: :mad: I still haven't even watched it yet and don't know when or if I plan to subject my eyes to that sure torture (everyone says it's dreadful, shocked Pikachu face).
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Starting Mirrorman on Toku as Ultraman Leo cut off at episode 23 and will have to wait got the dics to finish it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

KManX89 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:52 pm I finally got around to watching the first How to Train Your Dragon movie.
Awesome. The first film came out at just the right time to share with my kids when they were younger. To me it was really This Film that lifted DW above Pixar in terms of sheer quality, although sadly since then, DW had dropped off considerably, and really isn't doing any more quality films.

HTTYD 2 is also a great film, even the various TV series are very good, as they retain most of the original voice cast, and the TV quality animation isn't a huge drop form the theatrical. HTTYD 3 is a little disappointing. It is an ok ending, but the antagonist is more about using psychology as opposed to being a sheer physical menace, which didn't work for me. There were also other issues I had with part 3 that for me, while it is a decent film, made it the weakest of the trilogy.
Last edited by o.supreme on Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Just watched Love and Monsters in 4K, pretty good. Nice combination of monster action and comedy, and being an animal lover, I really loved the bits with his dog (ironically named Boy). I thought they really developed a nice bond throughout the course of this film. My heart dropped a little when
Spoiler:
Joel shunned the dog off towards the end of the film

then my spirits raised again when
Spoiler:
he came back.
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

For its 60th anniversary, I'll be watching 'Gorgo' tomorrow night on top of having celebratory fish and chips and coke for lunch.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

In honor of Ishiro Honda's 110th birthday, I watched a triple feature last night consisting of:

'Gojira'
'Rodan'
'Terror Of Mechagodzilla'

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'll be watching Day the Earth Stood still. It turns 70 years old this year.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

Attack of the Giant Leeches (MST3K version.) Corman adjacent (Roger's younger brother) but kind of fun bad.

- Michael

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

The Last Days on Mars - Unicellular life is discovered on Mars that infects astronauts and transforms them into...
Spoiler:
rage zombies.
Up until then, the film was actually kind of interesting. This Irish production does look really good for its low budget and has an ambiguous 1982 Thing ending, as opposed to a full 1970s "bummer" ending.

Life (2017) - Unicellular life is discovered on Mars that transforms into
Spoiler:
the final boss from Parasite Eve for the Playstation. At least that's what it reminded me of.
Someone needs to tell Hiroyuki Sanada to stay the hell out of space. Nothing could can come from him being there. Not my favorite Alien variant, but it was fun to watch.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

The Europa Report (2013) - Not really a monster movie per se, more of a "space is skreonking dangerous" film in found footage/documentary packaging. A monster does show up in the final shots, though. Pretty interesting film and a good movie to watch on a double bill with Life or The Last Days on Mars.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'The Werewolf Of Fever Swamp' last night for its 25th anniversary. I vividly remember seeing and being intrigued by the commercial*, but I never actually watched the premier likely due to being more easily scared by certain things back in those days (being a first grader with aspergers and all) which meant my mom likely wouldn't have let me see it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm watching Anaconda. I haven't seen it since somewhere in the early 2000s; back then I think it mostly bored me. This time, I'm six minutes in and I can already say it's one of the dumbest fucking movies I've seen in years. :lol: Oh my God.

EDIT: Okay, it stayed dumb throughout, but was at least entertaining about it. Acting and writing left a bit to be desired, but the effects were better than I remembered, and the snake was on-screen a heck of a lot more than I remembered; I'd expected to hardly see it. The action was generally pretty fun and intense, and the music and camera angles did a good job of building suspense early on. As less-than-realistic killer animal movies go, you can definitely do a lot worse than this one.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri May 28, 2021 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Clash Of The Titans' 81 Saturday night for its 40th anniversary. It goes without saying, but Ray Harryhausen's take on The Kraken is among the absolute best of his creature creations.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

His kraken design was great.

Last night I watched a film called Witchcraft. This Lon Chaney Jr. vehicle has a good pace, some creepy sequences, and the witch has a slightly vampiric look to her. I recommend it for those who like old horror flicks.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Jaws, for the second time; last time was probably eight or nine years ago. I'm up to the part with the autopsy of the first victim. I absolutely love the use of restraint in this movie. They leave so much to the imagination, and it's so damn effective. And I can now say with certainty that Jaws does not need a remake anytime soon. God, can you imagine the fucking hacks we have in Hollywood today getting their clumsy, dirty hands on this film? No thanks. No thanks.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And I also watched Pacific Rim: Uprising. Somewhat more fun than I'd remembered, but an unfortunate mess all the same. The story just screams along at a whiplash-inducing pace, leaving hardly any time for anything to be developed or sink in, dialogue and acting were distractingly bad, it apes the first movie too much while also handling its characters and story elements very poorly, and even most of the action is bland and forgettable. For all that, it's watchable. I can accept it for what it is and have a decent time watching it. I just wish it hadn't set up a sequel and then sucked so badly it pretty well guaranteed that said sequel won't be made.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched Curse of the Undead on Svengoolie. I'd seen dinosaurs and cowboys meet, but never a vampire cross over. It was interesting to see a vampire gunfighter.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Decided to finally crack open my 'When Horror Came to Shochiku' set, and just got done with The Living Skeleton. I enjoyed the eerie atmosphere and suspense, and the acting was mostly pretty solid. The story kind of tripped over itself in the end, though, with the left-field reveal that
Spoiler:
the doctor was still alive and engaged in mad science on the ship.
That felt like it belonged in a different movie. They should've just kept things simple and supernatural. Still a decent movie, though.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Ape vs. Monster (2021) - I just got done watching this. It was crap, as expected. You'd think with whatever money The Asylum made on the Sharknado franchise, which had LOTS of bad special FX, they'd be able to give viewersmore than 2 minutes of bad CGI in total for this whole movie. And yes, the film does rip off Rampage while cashing in on Godzilla vs. Kong, with the unabashed moxey to steal a plot point from Reptilian, for crying out loud! Beyond that, it's 85 minutes of questionable acting, questionable dialog, questionable history (the chimp-inhabited space capsule was shot into space in the 80s by Bush Jr. and Putin as a way of ending the Cold War...wait...WHAT???), and questionable everything.

Monsters of War (2021) - The original title for this was War of the Monsters, but I wonder if they changed it so that it would sound similar to Monsters at Work. I dunno. What I do know is that this film plays like a bargain basement version of The Mist, in which we focus on a group of people get stuck in a hostel after a bunch of dinosaurs, insect monsters, dragons and stuff emerge from a cave in order to set up a prehistoric ecosystem in the English countryside. This film has some of the worst acting imaginable, especially from the little girl. The CGI monsters are pretty decent (better than Ape vs. Monster at least). This was made by ITN Distribution and Jagged Edge Productions, who look like they are aiming to become The Asylum's main competitor. Picture that on the Tree of Woe.

Python (2000) - I don't think anybody expected Anaconda to be as successful as it was. It certainly benefitted from a great cast, a PG-13 rating, an almost decade-long dearth of killer animal films, and dare I say the success of Scream. So it was only logical that in its wake, a slew of killer animal movies--including a handful of snake movies--would be made. I also don't think anyone expected these things to become permanent fixtures of the DTV and made-for-Sy-Fy markets, but it's been 23 years and here we are. Python was one of the earliest cash-in's. It's an obvious choice for a snake, although this one isn't very python-like, with all that acid spitting and biting. No suffocation here! The CGI is dire, as is to be expected. There is a lot of gore in the form of partially-digested remains of people being found by the authorities. The characters are fun enough that the film can sustain itself whenever they aren't in mortal danger. The cast is pretty good, too: William Zabka, Robert Englund, Casper Van Dien, and a cameo by Jenny McCarthy.
Last edited by H-Man on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.