What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by KManX89 »

I watched Doom: Annihilation earlier today on Netflix, it's pretty bad. Then again, game-based movies usually are, so no surprise there.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds.

The climactic fight left me crying from laughter.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I watched Wrath of the Titans this morning. It's dumb, but has lots of monsters and didn't actively piss me off like the Clash remake did. The Chimera and Cyclopses were cool. The minotaur looks like a Baron of Hell from Doom, which is weird, but OK. The "Makhai Demons" are essentially Geryon in my opinion. It's an unoffensive and fun way to spend 90 minutes. I wish the studio had done Revenge of the Titans, as was originally planned. As it stands, this is probably the closest we'll get to a film adaptation of the NES game Battle of Olympus, so I'm fine with that.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

For its 54th anniversary, I'll be watching the original 'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' tonight on top of enjoying the following triple feature last night:

'The Werewolf Of Fever Swamp' (I know it's not a movie by definition, but I still think it's worth mentioning)
'The Wolf Man' 41
'Fright Night' 85

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

H-Man wrote:I watched Wrath of the Titans this morning. It's dumb, but has lots of monsters and didn't actively piss me off like the Clash remake did. The Chimera and Cyclopses were cool. The minotaur looks like a Baron of Hell from Doom, which is weird, but OK. The "Makhai Demons" are essentially Geryon in my opinion. It's an unoffensive and fun way to spend 90 minutes. I wish the studio had done Revenge of the Titans, as was originally planned. As it stands, this is probably the closest we'll get to a film adaptation of the NES game Battle of Olympus, so I'm fine with that.
I actually like Wrath. It's not great by any means but it's fun and never overstays its welcome. Clash is pretty much only good for the Kraken sequence. Not too mention being hacked up and reshot into submission.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Checked out Poseidon Rex. Given that it involves an amphibious dinosaur running amok and was released around 2014, it's probably the closest thing we got a G'14 mockbuster. Unfortunately, it's pretty dire. The dialog and acting are bad. Despite a cool design for the creature, the CGI is subpar: watch for the monster walking along the creek, but not displacing the water when it walks on it. The film is set in Belize, but all of the non-Caucasian characters are dead by the start of the third act. And the film asks us to believe that the monster could survive getting blasted by harpoon missiles, but would succumb to an RPG. Yeah, right.

The well-endowed blonde marine biologist was easy on the eyes, and the girlfriend character made me think of a young Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

For its 87th anniversary, I watched 'King Kong' 33 last night using this 12 year old TCM intro and outro as a bookend (while ignoring the fact that it was for the movie's 75th anniversary):

In regards to the DVD (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this), the opening 4 minute overture is really unnecessary. As for the movie itself, while it's a little understandable why the spider pit sequence was cut, cutting the Styracosaurus scenes was just plain impractical.
Last edited by Leviarex on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Wolf - Certainly not a classic of the werewolf genre by any stretch, but it has Jack Nicholson as a werewolf, Michelle Pfeiffer, that dude from Black List, Niles from Frasier (bit part), and Ross from Friends (really small bit part). So you know, pretty interesting casting.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Leviarex wrote:For its 87th anniversary, I watched 'King Kong' 33 last night using this 12 year old TCM intro and outro as a bookend (while ignoring the fact that it was for the movie's 75th anniversary):

God I miss Robert Osborne. :(

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Finally got around to watching Crawl, and while it was kind of fun and entertaining, it wasn't scary. I kind of get it now when dino-experts complain about the velociraptors in Jurassic Park films, or shark guys say that's not great white behavior in Jaws. I'm certainly not a gator expert, but I live in the southern United States and wad taught about gators. Yes gators are dangerous and can kill you, make no mistake about that, but they are animals. They are ambush predators that just want an easy meal, and will probably back off if their intended prey hurts it bad enough, say poke it's eye out. They tend to only attack if hungry (and one large meal can last them a really long time) or like territory or something. The gators in Crawl weren't believable animals by this measure, but human hating monsters that kill humans just to kill humans no matter the danger and cost with something bordering on religious zealotry. And that's why it failed as a horror film to me. Making a monster film believable is easy, making a creature feature based on real living animals you actually know some stuff about, if anything feels false, if anything strikes you as not being natural, it takes you out. And even though I'm far from a gator expert, I know just enough to call bull.

So yeah, I finally get the guys who complain about the dinosaurs or sharks in movies not acting like animals and just being generic movie monsters. Didn't think it'd take a gator film to do that.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Being its 54th anniversary, I'll be watching the uncut japanese version of 'Gamera vs. Barugon' (aka the most dignified of the Showa Gamera films) tonight.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Leviarex wrote:Being its 54th anniversary, I'll be watching the uncut japanese version of 'Gamera vs. Barugon' (aka the most dignified of the Showa Gamera films) tonight.
Not gonna pair it with its original co-feature?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:
Leviarex wrote:Being its 54th anniversary, I'll be watching the uncut japanese version of 'Gamera vs. Barugon' (aka the most dignified of the Showa Gamera films) tonight.
Which film was that?
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Which film was that?
The first Majin.

Resized Image
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Terasawa wrote:
Seeing as how I've never been that interested in Majin, no, don't feel compelled to.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Which film was that?
The first Majin.
I should have guessed. It came out in the same year. :lol:
Leviarex wrote: Seeing as how I've never been that interested in Majin, no, don't feel compelled to.
If you've never seen it, I'd say it's worth a shot. I consider it one of the greats, right up with the likes of Rodan or maybe even Mothra.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Marching slightly off-topic but Daiei put its Tokyo and Kyoto studios to great use by concurrently producing SFX films for release on the same program. (The Kyoto studio was where most of the period productions were filmed.) This came up a while ago in the Gamera thread but I never compiled all of the big SFX double features together in one post, so I feel justified reposting it. :)
  • One Hundred Monsters & Gamera vs. Viras (3/20/1968)
  • Great Yokai War & The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (12/14/1968)
  • Along with Ghosts & Gamera vs. Guiron (3/21/1969)
  • Transparent Swordsman & Gamera vs. Jiger (3/21/1970)
Return of Majin was paired with Zatoichi's Pilgrimage and Gamera vs. Gyaos screened with Little Fugitive; neither of these supporting features are SFX films. Majin Strikes Again (the third and final film) had no co-feature.

Some posters.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Currently watching the Godzilla Animated Series, the one that serves as a sequel to the 1998 film. Honestly, it's decent and is an easy watch on a rainy afternoon.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Revisited Alien: O Oitavo Passaseiro (transl. Alien: The 8th Passenger) last night. One of the things I like about this film is how I can enjoy it on other levels as I get older. When I first saw it as a third grader and in the first subsequent viewings, I could admire the monster for its orginality. Then I could focus on Sigourney Weaver and her character. And later, I focused on the plot as a whole. This time, I was admiring the set design. Just a perfect sci-fi horor film on all levels.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

UNDERWORLD:Endless War. Animated segments that tied into fourth UNDERWORLD flick that featured vampire and Death Dealer Selene tracking a trio of Lycan brothers over the centuries.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.