What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'King Kong' 33 and 'Bride Of Frankenstein' last night. As I said in the 'Random facts about you' thread sometime ago, I can never watch the former without also watching Peter Jackson's recreation of the lost Spider Pit/Styracosaurus sequence.

Added in 7 days 3 hours 26 minutes 7 seconds:
In going with a John Carpenter theme, my double feature consisted of 'Halloween' and 'The Thing' last night.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Terasawa wrote:Had The Giant Behemoth on the other day. I'm aware of all the usual complaints: it had been done before, the characters do nothing but move the plot along, the special FX are generally very good but also quite limited in scope, etc. I think most people just write this off as merely competent. It's not a classic but it's a nostalgic favorite of mine. I first saw this before 20,000 Fathoms so I didn't have a very similar earlier film to compare it to. This has a very strong documentary style that seems influenced by the Quatermass films: after the first reel there are very few scenes that aren't just the characters trying to unravel the mystery and then, after having done that, trying to stop the monster's rampage. There's no emotional weight but I don't think that's a problem here. It's all very matter-of-fact and I think that greatly benefits the movie.

Originally the monster was supposed to be a radioactive mass and I think that would have made it stand out against the rest of the '50s monster movies. But even then I think it would have been quite like X the Unknown, another Quatermassian British flick of the era.

I dunno, I just like it and I always have. It's my favorite of Eugène Lourié's giant monster movies.

I saw the same movie this morning. I'd seen Beast before this one, and despite being a British version of Beast, I enjoy it. It's very much what a friend calls a procedural film; It's presented as solving a mystery in the start, and then dealing with the monster. It's an approach that works for these sci fi/horror films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ Yeah, it’s like a science procedural. I like those kind of movies too. This, the Quatermass films, THEM!, any number of early kaiju movies, etc.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Skipping through my Mothra bluray. Not the greatest picture on earth but still probably the best its ever looked. Plus the dialogue is actually synced with the lips for once.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

watched a bunch of blurays with stop motion monsters recently, Q the winged serpent and the most recent restoration of the lost world 1925 by flicker alley

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I caught an obscure one on tv recently called The Cyclops. I'd seen it a few years before, and watched it to refresh my memory. Burt I. Gordon seems to have a thing for giant humans, and this film felt subpar compared to his other giant films. The characters do a decent job for their parts, though Chaney Jr. does go a little over the top. The biggest flaw in the makeup for the cyclops. Still, it's fun to watch if you like old sci if.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Gorgo' after watching 'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' (2019) last Friday night. As has been said before, the former is one Kaiju film that shows suitmation at its finest. I can only imagine how green with envy Eiji Tsuburaya must have been when he saw it for the first time.
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Leviarex wrote:Watched 'Gorgo' after watching 'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' (2019) last Friday night. As has been said before, the former is one Kaiju film that shows suitmation at its finest. I can only imagine how green with envy Eiji Tsuburaya must have been when he saw it for the first time.
I watched gorgo for the first time a few months back , can confirm its up there with some of the best 60s showa films

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Given yesterday's date, it was only fitting that my double feature last night consist of 'Friday The 13th' parts 1 (albeit with Doctor Wolfula's commentary: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMJGSqT52tQ) and 3.

Added in 27 days 1 hour 9 minutes 44 seconds:
In keeping my October tradition of watching monster movie marathons at certain points throughout the month alive, I watched the following Kong movies last night:

'King Kong' 33
'King Kong Escapes'
'Kong: Skull Island'

This was on top of watching the following movies on the following previous dates:

October 3rd- 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' 74
'Young Frankenstein'
'Dracula' 79

October 4th- 'The Howling'
'The Thing' 82
'Ghostbusters' 84
'Fright Night' 85

October 5th- 'Pumpkinhead'
'The Monster Squad'
'The Fly' 86
'The Return Of The Living Dead'

October 6th- 'Jurassic Park'

October 7th- 'Predator 2'
'Alien vs. Predator'
Last edited by Leviarex on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Leviarex wrote:Watched 'Gorgo' after watching 'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' (2019) last Friday night. As has been said before, the former is one Kaiju film that shows suitmation at its finest. I can only imagine how green with envy Eiji Tsuburaya must have been when he saw it for the first time.
I wish the crew that worked on that film worked on Konga too. Just imagine how awesome Konga could have been with Gorgo-style production values.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I'll be watching 'THEM!' tonight after watching the following Harryhausen and Godzilla films last night and Friday:

Last Night- 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms'
'20 Million Miles To Earth'
'Jason and The Argonauts'
'Sinbad and The Eye Of The Tiger'

Friday Night- 'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' 56
'Terror Of Mechagodzilla'
'Godzilla vs. Biollante'
'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' 2019
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I watched the Monkey King 2 (2016), which features female snake and bat demons, an army of skeletons, a kaiju-sized skeleton, and a few other demons and spirits for good measure.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

The last one I saw was The Crater Lake Monster a week or so ago. I downloaded it via Freemake. I must say that the stop motion animation is great even if the movie itself is just barely above average.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I watched a triple feature last night that consisted of 'Tarantula', 'Gorgo', and 'Rampage'.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

A double bill of inframan and mighty peking man on bluray, gotta love me some Chinese bootlegs

I will say mpm does feel like an alternate universe where toho continued making cheesy kong films (though shaw brothers did make a better "kong" suit)
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I watched 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' (my favorite Dracula movie) and 'The Shape Of Water' last night.

Added in 1 day 3 hours 19 minutes 10 seconds:
Watched the first three 'Friday The 13th' movies last night, and I'll be watching the following 'A Nightmare On Elm Street' movies tonight:

'A Nightmare On Elm Street' 84
'A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge'
'Wes Craven's New Nightmare'

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

the blob, the 50s version, an enjoyable camp b movie with alot of charm

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I'll be watching a Rick Baker Werewolf double feature tonight consisting of 'An American Werewolf In London' and 'The Wolf Man' 2010. The title character of the latter is by far my most favorite Werewolf ever.

Added in 3 days 1 hour 54 minutes 32 seconds:
Tonight I'll be enjoying a Hammer marathon (Hammer Time so to speak) consisting of the following movies:

'The Curse Of Frankenstein'
'Horror Of Dracula'
'The Mummy'
'The Curse Of The Werewolf'
Last edited by Leviarex on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

WAS watching Unknown Island on YT last night, but the picture quality was so bad, I turned it off...

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Saw the live action terra formars a few nights ago, like the aot movies I didnt watch the show or read the manga before hand but still all 3 movies are a fun ride, and I especially like the design of the roaches