What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw the MST3K episode of War of the Colossal Beast. Glenn is more victim than villain in my opinion. Sure, he hijacks trucks, but the army is more dangerous to him than vice versa. However, Joel and the robots give some good one liners as they watch this one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

In celebration of their shared 50th U.S. birthdays, I watched both 'Invasion Of Astro Monster'/'Godzilla vs. Monster Zero' and 'War Of The Gargantuas' on Wednesday. Like a lot of people I'm sure, I always fast forward through the latter's god awful singing part, and in regards to the former, the rampage carried out by the mind controlled Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah has always been one of my absolute favorite scenes in the entire Godzilla series.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It may be called one of the worst movies made, but I enjoyed watching The Giant Claw last night. Part of it may be I haven't seen it in years, but I find this film your typical entertaining 50s schlock. It has a few amusing lines as well. I can understand if you judge this by sfx standards, then it looks bad, but other wise I enjoy it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

edgaguirus wrote:It may be called one of the worst movies made, but I enjoyed watching The Giant Claw last night. Part of it may be I haven't seen it in years, but I find this film your typical entertaining 50s schlock. It has a few amusing lines as well. I can understand if you judge this by sfx standards, then it looks bad, but other wise I enjoy it.
I came to this thread to basically say the same thing - despite the maligned reputation, it's a damn fun little 50s giant monster movie.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Taking FX out of the picture it really isn't any worse than most films of its type. Its still better than the typical Bert I Gordon shlock. Personally I think the FX give the film a bizarre charm. The acting and direction are slightly above average for that kind of film I'd say.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched the MS3TK episode of 'King Dinosaur' last night. It definitely deserves its place on the list of 'Worst Dinosaur Movies Ever' all things considered.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Black Water : Abyss

I am sorry to say this film was a massive disappointment, unlike the Original Black Water which I have seen multiple times this just doesn't cut it.
The effects are worse, the story is as thin as a paper sheet (which would have been fine if the characters weren't so unlikable)
It started out fine, but after 30 minutes it starts taking a nose dive and doesn't recover.
This film would have been better if you cut out of the stupid side-plot and cut about 25 minutes out of it.

Regarding the Final **Warning Detailed Spoilers about the very end and a few character details**
Spoiler:
So not only does this go on a side plot about one girl (Jessica McNamee) finding out her bestfriend is fucking her boyfriend but her boyfriend got her friend pregnant, All the male characters die an the 2 only female characters make it out of the Crocodiles cave only to get in there truck to drive off road and land right back in-front of the Crocodiles cave (how convenient)
an from there it ends exactly how the Original Black Water ended and both girls are still friends? Are you kidding me?

I would have had more respect if after Jessica McNamee's character found out her friend got pregnant from her boyfriend she shot them both in the leg and left them dead and saved herself. It would have been more realistic at the very least
In any case if your a creature feature fan give it a watch, there's much worse out there but that's about the only positive thing I will say.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

I've been watching mostly schlocky Z movies lately, particularly from the 70s-90s since they seem to be particularly prominent. Zaat anyone?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Omegazilla wrote:I've been watching mostly schlocky Z movies lately, particularly from the 70s-90s since they seem to be particularly prominent. Zaat anyone?
Prominent how?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Vakanai wrote:
Omegazilla wrote:I've been watching mostly schlocky Z movies lately, particularly from the 70s-90s since they seem to be particularly prominent. Zaat anyone?
Prominent how?
Well, it just seems a lot of these so called "Z movies", particularly the ones with cult following seems to range from that time range. Zaat, Critters/Hobgoblins, Troma movies, Showa series kaiju films etc. I know there's a lot from the 50's and 60's too, but my main focus lately has been monster themed slasher type movies like Rawhead Rex and an assortment of other 70s-90s stuff you'd probably find on Redlettermedia's best of the worst videos.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Zaat is an odd one, but it has a certain charm.

I last saw G vs MG2. I hadn't watched it for awhile. This is not the best version of MG, but the film is good.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Jaws' last night. No more appropriate way to cap off 'Shark Week'.

Added in 1 day 26 minutes 15 seconds:
In celebration of its 20th U.S. birthday, I'll be watching 'Godzilla 2000' tonight. Like a lot of G fans, it's one Godzilla movie that's significant to me in that it was the first one I ever saw in theaters.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched G2000 last night.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I watched Godzilla vs Mothra ‘92 last night.
For Emperor and Empire!

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Being its 35th anniversary, I'll be watching 'Godzilla 1985' (a.k.a. the movie that made me a G Fan) tonight.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Mm more listening than watching but working my way through the Gamera commentaries/extras.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Last night I saw The Vampire. This 50s gem gives a scientific origin to our blood sucker, being a man transformed by a pill made from bats. It has a couple of sad moments, but they give our main character's plight some depth. I also like the monster make up for the vampire. It's a simple, but savage looking, make up job. The Vampire still is recognizable as the town doctor, but you'd run like heck if you saw it on a dark street.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ A nice companion pic is Columbia's The Werewolf (1956), which might have been an inspiration of sorts for The Vampire. Here, the werewolf is a man who has been injected with radioactive "wolf serum" or something. Nevertheless it's a pretty effective B.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The Pyramid from 2015 on DVD.
And tonight on Netflix the oddly titled SWEETHEART from 2019, and from the guys at Blumhouse. Basically "Castaway Meets Creature From The Black Lagoon". Good creature feature flick, featuring the creature brought to life primarily through practical effects.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I enjoy The Werewolf, but is a hard movie to find.

Not of This Earth, in my opinion, is one of Corman's best. The alien is well portrayed, and he has a very strong motive for all he does. I feel Jonathan Hayes also gives a good performance here. The one question this film leaves me with is what happened to the umbrella bat. Was it a one use assassin, or could it be used again, and if it did live beyond bleeding the doctor, would it continue to function without the alien controlling it?