Crawl - New Big Budget Killer Alligator Thriller

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Re: Crawl - New Big Budget Killer Crocodile Thriller

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:03 am

This seems similar to an other movie from a few years ago. A brother and sister trapped in a house with a tiger, while a storm rages outside.

Anyway it looks good.

Monster X
Interpol Agent

Postby Monster X » Sat May 11, 2019 11:17 am

kingkevzilla88 wrote:This seems similar to an other movie from a few years ago. A brother and sister trapped in a house with a tiger, while a storm rages outside.

Anyway it looks good.

Burning Bright, if my memory serves me correctly. Not a bad film as I recall.

Hope this manages to get a theatre release here in the UK. There are very few big budget animal attack movies these days , aside from shark movies. I always wanted to see a Croc/Gator film on the big screen.
Last edited by Monster X on Sat May 11, 2019 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

JDG-00X Devil Gundam

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 pm

Hey guys just got back from seeing this.

More than just an ok movie that the trailer indicated.

I actually thought it was really good. The alligators were fun and impressive and ferocious.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 am

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Hey guys just got back from seeing this.

More than just an ok movie that the trailer indicated.

I actually thought it was really good. The alligators were fun and impressive and ferocious.

And best part about this film...

Spoiler:
DOGGIE LIVES! YAY!!!! :huge: I'm seeing it now!

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Click-bait article comparing Crawl to Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Obviously, the reasons stated for are both a) subjective and b) rather stupid. The author's insistence on these sorts of films being self aware reminded me of an article titled "Remember When Horror Movies Used to Be Good," in which the author bashed horror movies made in 2018 because too many of them didn't have a sense of humor. It's really sad that these sorts of writers get paid for brain-dead writing, while so many of us fans who have review sites and blogs and what have you do really intelligent write-ups, but struggle to find a big audience.
Last edited by H-Man on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:25 pm

>TFW Crawl at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.
>Laughing at the fact Lion King (2019) sits at 60%.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 pm

H-Man wrote:Click-bait article comparing Crawl to Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Obviously, the reasons stated for are both a) objective and b) rather stupid. The author's insistence on these sorts of films being self aware reminded me of an article titled "Remember When Horror Movies Used to Be Good," in which the author bashed horror movies made in 2018 because too many of them didn't have a sense of humor. It's really sad that these sorts of writers get paid for brain-dead writing, while so many of us fans who have review sites and blogs and what have you do really intelligent write-ups, but struggle to find a big audience.

Uh like just be more silly?????? please????? It's 2019 old man lol just be more self-aware

But seriously, irreverence - or reverence for that matter - doesn't do anything to make audiences more willing to suspend their disbelief. Just pointing out why a plot point is dumb or a few dumb comic relief lines doesn't make an audience any more willing to accept what is happening. Good writing is what makes audiences more willing to suspend disbelief and immerse themselves in the story.

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:>TFW Crawl at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.
>Laughing at the fact Lion King (2019) sits at 60%.

No one mentioned The Lion King though
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Intend to watch this film twice. Tomorrow afternoon and then once more next week because my friend wants to see this movie. Our other friend might join us too.

BTW I know sharks have been overdone but if they wanted to make this movie even crazier they also should had thrown in bull sharks. What would be more unique is on top of them having to not only avoid alligators the two would fight with each other at the same time. That definitely would had spiced things up wouldn't y'all think? ;)
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:22 am

Movie was pretty decent. I wanted to see alligators wreck some poop, and I got exactly that, because man, do the protagonists skreeonking suffer.

Pretty impressed with the kills in this movie.
Spoiler:
The kid who gets eaten in the gas station and the cop that gets yeeted and then ripped apart limb by limb
were my favorite kills. A lot of suspension of disbelief is needed, but I'm fine with that in a creature flick.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:08 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Intend to watch this film twice. Tomorrow afternoon and then once more next week because my friend wants to see this movie. Our other friend might join us too.

BTW I know sharks have been overdone but if they wanted to make this movie even crazier they also should had thrown in bull sharks. What would be more unique is on top of them having to not only avoid alligators the two would fight with each other at the same time. That definitely would had spiced things up wouldn't y'all think? ;)

I saw that Bull Shark movie with Lou Diamond Philips called Red Water back when it came out.

At the time I wasn't fully aware of the SyFy channel originals so I was pretty disappointed.

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 am

It just seems like an over budgeted SyFy original. Like, I'm sure it's good, decent even, but the premise sounds like something Asylum would poop out.

Saansilt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Saansilt » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:06 am

Oh come on, it’s a neat idea. Also, isn’t alligators here? Thread title needs to be fixed.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.

Chris55 wrote:Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?

My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Crawl - New Big Budget Killer Alligator Thriller

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:16 am

Saansilt wrote:Oh come on, it’s a neat idea. Also, isn’t alligators here? Thread title needs to be fixed.

Yep, it's a Gator. can you even Edit titles on this forum? i couldn't figure out how to do it.
Last edited by tyrantgoji on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Editing Titles

Postby G2000 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:57 am

tyrantgoji wrote:Yep, it's a Gator. can you even Edit titles on this forum? i couldn't figure out how to do it.

When you hit the “edit post” button there should be a little text box above the main text box and all the smilies labeled “subject”, just edit there and you should be good
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 am

I was a little interested but its sounding a bit too gruesome for my taste. Glad to see its getting decent reviews though.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Crawl was an awesome movie! Definitely one of the best this year with Godzilla 2, Missing Link, Shazam! and How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World! :huge:

Delivered the thrills, suspense and creature action as it promised and again best of all what I said in my above post in the spoiler.

Granted the trailer was kinda misleading as I was expecting most of it would be upstairs rather then in the basement but never the less though loved the film either way and also as good as the CGI was a part of me kinda wish they tried to do practical. A part of me I guess is curious how it would had looked and how it would had turned out if they done so. In terms of killer creature flicks I'll say this ranks as among my favs but when compared to other killer crocodilian flicks I find Alligator (1980) to still be the best one.

I'll say this again too as overdone are sharks are I think the movie would had been much crazier and fun if they threw in bull sharks. Not only having to avoid them but they and the alligators in the process would had been fighting with each other which could had been unique and done differently in a killer creature flick. Its something I think that would had spiced things up IMO.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fred25_ca
Yin-Yang Master

Postby fred25_ca » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Loved it, my favorite Aja movie and the second best movie of the year (after Godzilla, of course). Still can't beat the incredible Rogue as the best croc movie out there but it's close!
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Well, that was a shockingly great film. A good case study on how strong characters can be the key to making a good a monster and/or horror film.

Ended pretty abruptly though. :lol:
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Ended pretty abruptly though. :lol:

IMO I don't think it did. Any longer and I think it would had dragged. Pacing was perfect.

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:09 am

Actually, the budget wasn't very "big". $13.7 mil. as I recall. SMALL budget by Hollywood standards. But it has taken in over $33 mil. so far. Rotten Tomatoes approval rating is high, but then the critics aren't taking this as anything other than what it IS - an alligator horror movie. I think that the box office will peter out at between $40 and $50 mil. A good profit, and scary flicks tend to do well on home video...

Return to “Monster Manor”