Force of the Trojans. Harryhausen's Unused Creatures Coming to Life

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Force of the Trojans. Harryhausen's Unused Creatures Coming to Life

Post by The One and Only »

mikelcho wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I'm actually surprised everyone is so hyped about this. Maybe I'm just a pessimist. But I foresee this being very similar to that The Thing reboot/prequel/whatever it was in 2011 where they used live action effects and ruined it with awful-looking CGI. I can't imagine this actually being faithful to Harryhausen's work in today's cinematic world.
Actually, the film was a prequel to The Thing. Personally, I think that the title should've been The Thing: Origins, so that it could've been differentiated from the original.
A bit of the behind the scenes antics, foul-ups, bleeps ,and blunders on THE THING prequel. Or as I wanted to call it,THE THING:Those Poor Sweedish Bastards ! .
Last edited by The One and Only on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

mikelcho wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I'm actually surprised everyone is so hyped about this. Maybe I'm just a pessimist. But I foresee this being very similar to that The Thing reboot/prequel/whatever it was in 2011 where they used live action effects and ruined it with awful-looking CGI. I can't imagine this actually being faithful to Harryhausen's work in today's cinematic world.
Actually, the film was a prequel to The Thing. Personally, I think that the title should've been The Thing: Origins, so that it could've been differentiated from the original.
It was a prequel but it was literally a carbon copy of Carpenter's. It didn't do much original.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

All in all, this sounds like great idea.
I hope they continue with this idea
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Any current news on Force of the Trojans? I've been out of the loop for a while.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:Any current news on Force of the Trojans? I've been out of the loop for a while.
Couldn’t find anything on any of the Facebook pages. I imagine it’s still looking for investors and/or talent.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Okay, thanks.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm actually really curious to see where this film can go. Mixing classic stop motion with CGI can be something really unique whn it comes to films and can make it stand out!

Although personally, i'm still holding out hope for a remake of One Million Years B.C.
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Still no news on this film, huh?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote:Still no news on this film, huh?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I guess my question about this project is what's the point of a Harryhausen film without Ray's animation on display?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:I guess my question about this project is what's the point of a Harryhausen film without Ray's animation on display?
I mean, it's still his designs right?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I guess my question about this project is what's the point of a Harryhausen film without Ray's animation on display?
That's true, according to the article quoted in OP, but "designed and inspired by the work of" is infinitely less appealing to me than anything he actually animated.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilloci
Samurai

Post by Godzilloci »

When a film is made with the aim of "recapturing" something, I'm immediately doubtful of the developers' imagination, and also their actual appreciation of the elements they're trying to recapture. Like how shows and films that try to "recapture" the 80s don't actually feel like the 80s but rather a shadow puppet of it.

Force of the Trojans sounds fun, and if it's still being made I look forward to it. But I think it would be wiser and more sincere of them to just make a completely new story inspired by Harryhausen. And anyway, the Trojan war is an overused and over-referenced classic. The Greeks (albeit a simplified version of them) and their most famous sagas have long oversaturated popular media.
Last edited by Godzilloci on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Godzilloci wrote:The Greeks (albeit a simplified version of them) and their most famous sagas have long oversaturated popular media.
You can never have enough Greek sagas.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Godzilloci wrote:The Greeks (albeit a simplified version of them) and their most famous sagas have long oversaturated popular media.
I'm STILL waiting for a decently accurate adaption of the Heracles myth. ALL TWELVE labors, god dammit. Nemean Lion, the Hydra, Lernaean Hydra, Ceryneian Hind, Erymanthian Boar, Stables, Birds, Boar, Cerberus, Golden Fucking Apples, all of it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
I'm STILL waiting for a decently accurate adaption of the Heracles myth. ALL TWELVE labors, god dammit. Nemean Lion, the Hydra, Lernaean Hydra, Ceryneian Hind, Erymanthian Boar, Stables, Birds, Boar, Cerberus, Golden skreeonking Apples, all of it.
By "the Hydra", you mean Ladon, right? The only Hydra in the Hercules myth was the Lernaean one.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
I'm STILL waiting for a decently accurate adaption of the Heracles myth. ALL TWELVE labors, god dammit. Nemean Lion, the Hydra, Lernaean Hydra, Ceryneian Hind, Erymanthian Boar, Stables, Birds, Boar, Cerberus, Golden skreeonking Apples, all of it.
By "the Hydra", you mean Ladon, right? The only Hydra in the Hercules myth was the Lernaean one.

I just wrote it twice somehow.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godzilloci wrote:When a film is made with the aim of "recapturing" something, I'm immediately doubtful of the developers' imagination, and also their actual appreciation of the elements they're trying to recapture. Like how shows and films that try to "recapture" the 80s don't actually feel like the 80s but rather a shadow puppet of it.

Force of the Trojans sounds fun, and if it's still being made I look forward to it. But I think it would be wiser and more sincere of them to just make a completely new story inspired by Harryhausen. And anyway, the Trojan war is an overused and over-referenced classic. The Greeks (albeit a simplified version of them) and their most famous sagas have long oversaturated popular media.
When you say "shows and films that try to "recapture" the 80s", do you mean shows like, for example, ID's The 1980s: The Deadliest Decade?
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
That's true, according to the article quoted in OP, but "designed and inspired by the work of" is infinitely less appealing to me than anything he actually animated.
Well to be fair to them, it's not like they can actually get the man himself to animate anything anymore, since he's dead.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Stables
That's the one I want to see. Who wouldn't want to see a demigod shoveling gigantic mounds of sh*t?
Last edited by The Octopus on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.