SSSS.GRIDMAN

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GreenScar
Monarch Researcher

SSSS.GRIDMAN

Post by GreenScar »

Haven't seen a thread for this yet, if there is sorry.

So far the first 2 episodes have aired on Crunchyroll and I've seen them both. It's off to a good start. The animation is solid and the story seems a little generic but not bad. I like the blending of traditional 2D anime with the 3D fights. Here's hoping they can mix it up with the story and not make it just Ultraman but anime. I have high hopes.
:g2k: :godzilla: :g64: :spacegodzilla: :mechagodzilla: :gigan: :monsterx:

Top 5 Toho Kaiju I hope show up in the Monsterverse -https://youtu.be/ay28_lPFHvg

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: SSSS.GRIDMAN

Post by GigaBowserG »

First episode's a little rough, but 2nd episode's real good. Just don't expect a whole lot of focus on Gridman versus the monsters, though those sequences are still fun.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I thought I already made a thread for this but I could be wrong.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

GigaBowserG wrote:First episode's a little rough, but 2nd episode's real good.
I agree. I feel like the animation is kind of choppy, probably because of how complex the characters look. The story is getting good though
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Are we getting a toyline out of this show?

GreenScar
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar »

Godzillakuj94 wrote:Are we getting a toyline out of this show?
I've been wondering the same thing because I would buy the hell outta SHFiguarts Gridman from the show.
:g2k: :godzilla: :g64: :spacegodzilla: :mechagodzilla: :gigan: :monsterx:

Top 5 Toho Kaiju I hope show up in the Monsterverse -https://youtu.be/ay28_lPFHvg

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I'm going to have to start watching this at some point to justify all the storage I'm using on Rikka

It looks good, and everyone seems to like it, so I'm hopeful
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

GreenScar wrote:
Godzillakuj94 wrote:Are we getting a toyline out of this show?
I've been wondering the same thing because I would buy the hell outta SHFiguarts Gridman from the show.
Don't know about Figuarts but several other companies are gonna start dropping stuff. Both Megahouse and Good Smile have stuff up for preorder. Mostly just Gridman and his assist programs so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Wow, fan service the episode. If they weren't high school students maybe it wouldn't be so cringe. Coolish fight though.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Man, more people need to be watching this show. I fell behind for real-life reasons, but I've caught up this week, and I'm digging it! The show has neat monster designs and uses 3D animation surprisingly well, with some 2D bits spliced in.
Despite being a hero/monster show, though, the real strength of the show is in the worldbuilding and atmosphere. The show does a great job at building a sense of intrigue and uneasiness, which only gets stronger with each episode. The design of this show is very strong overall; SSS Gridman isn't an exceptional series, but it's solidly consistent. I'm inclined to say this could end up being one of Trigger's best titles so far.
The good fellows over at Sakuga Blog have been breaking down the episodes very nicely; apparently this show is LOADED with references to the original series, and there are tons of Transformers references too, judging by Twitter and Tumblr posts I've seen.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Rody wrote:Man, more people need to be watching this show. I fell behind for real-life reasons, but I've caught up this week, and I'm digging it! The show has neat monster designs and uses 3D animation surprisingly well, with some 2D bits spliced in.
Despite being a hero/monster show, though, the real strength of the show is in the worldbuilding and atmosphere. The show does a great job at building a sense of intrigue and uneasiness, which only gets stronger with each episode. The design of this show is very strong overall; SSS Gridman isn't an exceptional series, but it's solidly consistent. I'm inclined to say this could end up being one of Trigger's best titles so far.
The good fellows over at Sakuga Blog have been breaking down the episodes very nicely; apparently this show is LOADED with references to the original series, and there are tons of Transformers references too, judging by Twitter and Tumblr posts I've seen.
Agreed with everything here! This show is a treasure.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

This show looks AMAZING and as soon as I can get Crunchyroll, I'm gonna watch the heck out of it!

Just one small thing though: does anyone else feel uncomfortable that they're using Akane to push the fanservice?
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Titanoterror98 wrote:This show looks AMAZING and as soon as I can get Crunchyroll, I'm gonna watch the heck out of it!

Just one small thing though: does anyone else feel uncomfortable that they're using Akane to push the fanservice?
As a 23 year old it kind cringes me out. If she was 18 tho :shrug:
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Titanoterror98 wrote:This show looks AMAZING and as soon as I can get Crunchyroll, I'm gonna watch the heck out of it!
Word of advice: don't join the forums. I've been banned twice. :huge:
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Yeesh, that bad huh? Thanks for the heads up then!
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Worse. I got a warning for mentioning I was on the forum on the forum. They called it "breaking the fourth wall", as multiple people around here probably remember..
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Worse. I got a warning for mentioning I was on the forum on the forum. They called it "breaking the fourth wall", as multiple people around here probably remember..
Wait, you... they didn't like you... just saying... that you were on the forum... like a normal person. And they compared to talking like a character in a story... that knew they were in a story.

Okaaay...

Eh, whatever, it was their loss! :P

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Okay, the last two episodes have been LEGIT. I am extremely excited for the endgame!!

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Rody wrote:Okay, the last two episodes have been LEGIT. I am extremely excited for the endgame!!
Agreed, episode 10 is probably my new favorite. Glad others are giving this great show a shot.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

We are ONE EPISODE and TWO DAYS AWAY from the series finale!! Here are some nice articles covering the show from the past several weeks (beware, spoilers ahead):

The Solemn Beauty of SSSS.Gridman
Gridman isn’t given weighty stakes through the actual danger of its battles; its sense of consequence emanates from its whole world, a world of silence and isolation and forever waiting for something to happen.

IN THE SUMMERTIME: YET ANOTHER POST ON THE CINEMATOGRAPHY AND ATMOSPHERE OF SSSS.GRIDMAN
Summer is inescapable in SSSS.Gridman, and the series never allows the viewer relief from it’s oppressive atmosphere.

WE ARE WHO OUR BACKPACKS SAY WE ARE (OR NOT) — THE SSSS.GRIDMAN TRIO AND COLOR-CODED ARCHETYPES
What we know of tokusatsu in the west is a lot more along the lines of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad or the breakout Power Rangers franchise which was based on Super Sentai. Frequently the heroes involved would be color-coded due to personality.
In showing these backpacks and assigning them to the individuals in the main trio, SSSS.Gridman uses this tokusatsu shortcut to tell us more about their potential roles on the team (or how they could be reversed within the series).

WELCOME TO AKANE-ISM — SSSS GRIDMAN
Even if this world is an entire creation of Akane’s imagination, fostered and brought to life in a computer, it doesn’t reflect well on her character. Alexis may be taking advantage of her anger, but Akane’s actions are still her own. The natural progression of the story would be for Akane to turn in the process of escaping her world.

Giant Robots and Absent Friends: The Split Identity of SSSS.Gridman
In broad dramatic terms, Gridman constantly feels like a negotiation between two very different modes: the morose, atmospheric coming-of-age drama conveyed through each episode’s first half, and the sunny, exuberant giant robot drama of its climaxes. These two halves aren't just separate ingredients in a larger recipe; they each carry their own aesthetic vocabulary, central conflicts, and even personal protagonists.

This Week in Anime - Akane is the Real Protagonist of SSSS.Gridman
I love the "we have to do this because only we can" ideal that the Gridman Alliance and Akane share. While we see it bring the Alliance together in a positive aspect, we see the same exact thing tearing Akane apart. It's this horrible pressure that if she doesn't do the one thing she feels she can, then she really has no purpose.