Universal Monsters Series (1925-1956) Tribute Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Universal Monsters Series (1925-1956) Tribute Thread

Post by mvp9056 »

Just wanted to make a thread about the Original Universal Monster series, since I haven't seen one devoted to it (not including the Dark Universe).

The oldest Hollywood franchise, they are some of the most iconic and memorable characters put to film. The actors, directors, artists and make up effects have created images that are instantly recognizable, even if you've never seen any of the movies. It's a testament to their timeless legacy and impact.

My favorites were always the two James Whale Frankenstein films - they're expertly crafted and Karloff is the stand out performance of the entire catalog. These films sparked my interest in all things Frankenstein, who is my favorite monster character in all of fiction. Bela Lugosi as Dracula is probably the most iconic monster of all time, being in the most big screen adaptations (second only to Sherlock Holmes I think), and it's largely due to Lugosi's landmark portrayal.

All the others from Lon Chaney's werewolf to the most original monster of the bunch, the Gill-Man, have contributed greatly to pop culture and the progression of horror cinema. They were blockbusters of their day and inspired generations (including me) to this day.
Last edited by mvp9056 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Universal Monsters Series (1925-1956) Tribute Thread

Post by eabaker »

My dad more or less raised me on these movies. I've probably posted 100 times on this board about my love for The Bride of Frankenstein; I usually list it as my favorite movie of all time. The Wolf Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon were among the first VHS tapes that were actually mine, as opposed to my parents' (King Kong vs. Godzilla was also on that list).

Back when I was writing regularly for The Blood Shed, I posted a few articles that dealt heavily with the Universal monsters flicks.

https://www.theblood-shed.com/great-hor ... ark-house/

https://www.theblood-shed.com/not-my-he ... imperiled/

https://www.theblood-shed.com/is-univer ... best-ever/

Unfortunately, a site admin deleted all the photos for two of those... :(
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

My top favorites are The Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and The Wolf-Man.

I also got to see Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D at a local theater a few year's ago and they had the actress (Julie Adams) there. In addition, I was able to meet Lon Channey Jr's grandson at that event too when they showed the 1925 Phantom of the Opera.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

My experience with the genre, unfortunately, does not extend beyond the Frankenstein series... but I often feel that that is all that I need. :) Bride of Frankenstein, alongside the 1933 King Kong, is pretty much the pinnacle of black and white film making for me, and my definite favorite of the series. One of these days, I keep meaning to get around to checking out The Mummy, and possibly even The Creature from the Black Lagoon...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Some of the finest monster films ever made. Absolutely love The Wolf Man, these films defined the horror genre

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I also got to see Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D at a local theater a few year's ago and they had the actress (Julie Adams) there.
I had the same experience, including the presence of Julia Adams. Made it a little weird wheen people in the crowd started hooting when she appeared on camera in a swimsuit...

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
Zarm wrote:My experience with the genre, unfortunately, does not extend beyond the Frankenstein series... but I often feel that that is all that I need. :) Bride of Frankenstein, alongside the 1933 King Kong, is pretty much the pinnacle of black and white film making for me, and my definite favorite of the series. One of these days, I keep meaning to get around to checking out The Mummy, and possibly even The Creature from the Black Lagoon...
The Mummy is pretty great, but considering your appreciation of Bride of Frankenstein, you might prioritize checking out James Whale's non-Frankenstein genre work, The Old Dark House and The Invisible Man.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Love them all!
But by and far I always found the Frankenstein saga to be the best and most consistent one. There's 8 chapters and its the only series that kind of works when it comes to continuity.
Strangely enough, The Bride is one of my least favorite. Whale brought too much camp and tried to make it too silly. I still love the movie, mind you but I like my horror movies when they take seriously their source materials and don't poke fun at it the entire time.
But my favorite is the often overlooked Son of Frankenstein. It has the best protagonist of any Universal movies (the great Sherlock Holmes himself, Basil Rathbone) and the best creature (Boris Karloff, sporting a really cool jacket here).
The atmosphere is top notch, much better than in the Whale movies. The sets and the cinematography could be straight out of a german expressionist movie. It brought so much death and gloom to the movie. The film is gorgeous. I also love that Boris wasn't talking in this one. Karloff always thought it was a mistake the creature talked and I agree with him.
But most important of all, it introduced one of the greatest character in horror movies, Igor, in what I consider to be Bela Lugosi's best role. He plays this creepy ugly man who has a broken neck and befriends the creature to get revenge on the men who executed him.
Best of all, he comes back in the sequel, Ghost of Frankenstein!
Man, what a great series. Frankenstein vs the wolfman is the ancestor to all the VS movies. The two House of movies are the Avengers movies of this series (a mash up of the monsters). And it all culminates with my favorite comedy of all time, Abbott and Costello meets Frankenstein. We get nearly all of the original actors back for this one, including a great cameo by Vincent Price (who had previously played the Invisible Man in the fantastic first invisible sequel!).
My only regret for this one is they didn't get Karloff for the monster. That would have been so incredible.

But yeah, while I love the first movie of each franchises (especially Creature from the black lagoon!), only Frankenstein boosts a nearly perfect string of sequels!
Last edited by fred25_ca on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

fred25_ca wrote:But my favorite is the often overlooked Son of Frankenstein.
I do think Son is a frustratingly underrated movie. While I do find it, ultimately, a little more superficial and a little less stylish than Whale's flicks, it nonetheless boasts one of the genre's great ensemble casts. And, as you say, the production design is magnificent.

Rathbone is great as Wolf Frankenstein, but at times his scenery chewing goes perhaps a tad overboard. But both Lugosi's Ygor and Lionel Atwill's Inspector Krogh are arguably the greatest performance's of each man's career.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Great article about the universal monsters (just read the one about Frankenstein). I agree, the Frankenstein series is one of the all time greatest horror series (with imo just one bad apple, House of Dracula). Young Frankenstein is indeed a great unnoficial sequel! :D
My second favorite comedy of all time. Good stuff!
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Zarm wrote:My experience with the genre, unfortunately, does not extend beyond the Frankenstein series... but I often feel that that is all that I need. :) Bride of Frankenstein, alongside the 1933 King Kong, is pretty much the pinnacle of black and white film making for me, and my definite favorite of the series. One of these days, I keep meaning to get around to checking out The Mummy, and possibly even The Creature from the Black Lagoon...
Well Universal is going to be releasing the entire franchise in a single Blu-Ray set this Fall, so that will be the best time to jump in.

Added in 1 minute 34 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:But my favorite is the often overlooked Son of Frankenstein.
I do think Son is a frustratingly underrated movie. While I do find it, ultimately, a little more superficial and a little less stylish than Whale's flicks, it nonetheless boasts one of the genre's great ensemble casts. And, as you say, the production design is magnificent.

Rathbone is great as Wolf Frankenstein, but at times his scenery chewing goes perhaps a tad overboard. But both Lugosi's Ygor and Lionel Atwill's Inspector Krogh are arguably the greatest performance's of each man's career.
Son of probably my favorite of all of the sequels with House of Frankenstein and The Wolf-Man Meets Frankenstein right behind it. Not a fan of Ghost though.

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

My favorite movie out of the whole series is the original Frankenstein. It started it all and I think Colin Clive is the best performed mad scientist out of any of the sequels. His Frankenstein has this manic, dangerously driven persona to him and yet he's expressive/sympathetic enough to be understandable and human (particularly his monologue).

I think Karloff's makeup in this one is the best of the sequels too. He has the ghoulish appearance of a freshly exhumed corpse. Him talking in Bride I felt is a nice progression of his character and wish the series had continued down that road, instead of the increasingly dull/dumb down portrayals we got. Just imagine he could have been even more threatening if he had the capability to to fully reason and manipulate situations to his advantage.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mvp9056 wrote:My favorite movie out of the whole series is the original Frankenstein. It started it all and I think Colin Clive is the best performed mad scientist out of any of the sequels. His Frankenstein has this manic, dangerously driven persona to him and yet he's expressive/sympathetic enough to be understandable and human (particularly his monologue).
So much attention is lavished on Karloff - and justifiably, it's both a groundbreaking and a heartbreaking performance - that Colin Clive's contributions are often ignored. At times, Clive gets a bit lost in the shuffle in Bride, but the success of the first movie is very much dependent upon his performance (especially since Mae Clarke and particularly John Boles bring so little life to their roles).
I think Karloff's makeup in this one is the best of the sequels too. He has the ghoulish appearance of a freshly exhumed corpse. Him talking in Bride I felt is a nice progression of his character and wish the series had continued down that road, instead of the increasingly dull/dumb down portrayals we got. Just imagine he could have been even more threatening if he had the capability to to fully reason and manipulate situations to his advantage.
And they did kind of try to move back in that direction by giving him Ygor's brain, but then the absurdity of Lugosi's voice coming out of the Frankenstein monster was deemed too much, and the re-edited Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man ended up defining the portrayal in the remaining movies. It works okay for comedic purposes in Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, of course.

Added in 29 seconds:
fred25_ca wrote:Great article about the universal monsters (just read the one about Frankenstein). I agree, the Frankenstein series is one of the all time greatest horror series (with imo just one bad apple, House of Dracula). Young Frankenstein is indeed a great unnoficial sequel! :D
My second favorite comedy of all time. Good stuff!
Thank you!

I really need to get back to writing for that site...

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

I definitely think Son of Frankenstein is underrated too. It's not my favorite, and I would put Bride above it as well, but it's definitely the best of the post-Bride sequels. It continues the story in a nice way (I always felt the other sequels were rather detached from the initial films), is the last time Karloff is the monster, and wraps up the "trilogy" of the 30's Frankenstein films before the rest of the sequels kinda unravel it.

There are so many underrated films though, like Dracula's daughter and I like Werewolf of London too. That movie is like a mix of Jekyll/Hyde, a pseudo-mystery film, and the Wolfman in one.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mvp9056 wrote:There are so many underrated films though, like Dracula's daughter and I like Werewolf of London too. That movie is like a mix of Jekyll/Hyde, a pseudo-mystery film, and the Wolfman in one.
Dracula's Daughter, for me, is a whole that is less than the sum of its parts. There are some great scenes, great performances, and there's overall a very effective atmosphere, but a lacks a cohesive vision. (I did a write-up on the un-produced James Whale concept for this movie; sadly, the pictures are now offline Image.)

Werewolf of London, however, is one of my very favorites. Wilfred Glendon and Dr. Yogami are both great characters, and there is an element of classical drama to their conflict. And, oh! how I love the transformation scene where Glendon walks behind a series of columns, transforming further and further each time, in a continuous tracking shot. It's very sophisticated for its time!

Although its not a "monster" movie, The Black Cat is another masterpiece of 30's Universal horror. Karloff and Lugosi play off of one another magnificently, and I'd even say David Manners acquits himself quite nicely in a (slightly) more complex romantic lead role than he'd had in Dracula and The Mummy.

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

Yea that transformation scene in Werewolf of London is an eye catcher, with the mood and music working in tandem with the cinematography to enhance it. It's funny that it was made 6 years before the Wolf Man and it's better than any of the transformations in that movie.

With Dracula's Daughter I appreciate that it focuses on a completely different character, but in her single appearance, Countess Zaleska is right up there with the other monster characters with her alluring beauty and conflicted nature. I remember that scene where she's in the studio with the prostitute(?) really creeping me out as a kid. It has this impending sense of dread, and is a constant downward spiral for the young woman who has no idea what she's in for, you really feel sorry for her. Some people attribute erotic lesbian overtones to it. Truly a standout scene.

Added in 1 hour 28 minutes 34 seconds:
I even think Dracula can be underappreciated for its "stagy-ness". While I do think it could have used more dynamic camera work and cinematography in the second half - the fog, lack of music (and dead silence), things happening just off camera and Lugosi's looming presence gives it this otherworldly feel. Like a nightmare come to life with an unknowable force constantly watching you.
Last edited by mvp9056 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mvp9056 wrote:I even think Dracula can be underappreciated for its "stagy-ness". While I do think it could have used more dynamic camera work and cinematography in the second half - the fog, lack of music (and dead silence), things happening just off camera and Lugosi's looming presence gives it this otherworldly feel. Like a nightmare come to life with an unknowable force constantly watching you.
Y'know, I got to see Draculaon the big screen several years ago, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the movie. Seen in a theater, with something more closely approximating a proscenium, allows those stagy scenes to play a lot better than they do on a television set.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Just watched The Ghost of Frankenstein. I enjoyed it and it's definitely the most high concept of the Frankenstein movies up until they started doing crossovers with the other monsters.

Nice to see the monsters connection with young children continue as a theme throughout the series. Not sure about the rotating door of actors playing the Frankenstein Monster, particularly when they stuck mostly but not limited to Karloff, Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. who in addition played many of their own iconic monsters in the same series. I guess that's just something because of the time period.

During the brief ghost scene they should have had Colin Clive play the ghost.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I agree about Karloff looking his best in the original Frankenstein. I always found Karloff's appearance in Bride to look weird, but I had always chalked it up to him being in a burning windmill until I was older and learned it was because it was different make up and he had gained weight.

The weirdest part for me between the two Frankenstein films is how the burgermeister changes between movies. It should have been the same actor in both.

Now for Dracula's Daughter, I've never liked that one as I found it to be utterly boring. I also found Helsing's deadpan seriousness to not fit with the tone the film was trying to embody, especially when he is talking to the police and they're acting kind of silly.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:The weirdest part for me between the two Frankenstein films is how the burgermeister changes between movies. It should have been the same actor in both.
You find that weirder than the switch from Mae Clarke to Valerie Hobson as Elizabeth, a far more significant character?

Anyway, I don't think Lionel Belmore would have worked as well for the tone of Bride as E.E. Clive did (nor would Mae Clarke has worked as well as Valerie Hobson, nor would John ?Boles have had any place as the completely abandoned Victor Moritz).

I also feel like the story-within-a-story nature of Bride basically justifies all of the radical changes in casting, design, and plot points. We are watching Mary Shelley recite all this from the top of her head, after all.

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

The Frankenstein series later on had a weird habit of just recycling the same actors. The worst example off the top of my head is in Ghost, when you see the two judges the monster killed in Son miraculously return like nothing happened. They even make it a point to show them specifically, like they didn't at all care continuity was thrown out the window.