Giant Monster Comic & Book Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Giant Monster Comic & Book Thread

Post by Tohosaurus »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Aww, was just going to search out a thread like this.

I’d like to track down the Gorgo and Konga comics, but they’re not collected anywhere except in those Steve Ditko books which only include the ones that he did. Lol, I want them all.

I’ve only heard about the Reptilicus comics.

Are the Marvel Godzilla who is not technically Godzilla books collected somewhere?
The Gorgos are collected I think unless I am mistaken.

I think Marvel Godzilla was, but I don't know that much of it is still in print.
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:How about Album covers with giant monsters? I suggest Queen News of the World. Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell and Saga Images in Twilight.
I was thinking more along the lines of things you could read, but if you made a thread for general giant monster art that included what you were thinking of I think people would like that!
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

About Gorgo, really? The only trades I could find of those and Konga were what was in the Ditko collections. There’s a trade that collects all issues if Gorgo? Or Konga for that matter?

EDIT:

Really want to check out this Reptar issue. Also loving the Matt Frank incentive cover. So many Easter Eggs in that cover that leave the potential for solo Reptar issues.

https://shop.boom-studios.com/comics/de ... -frank-cvr
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

There's Raffeal Coronelli's Daikaiju Yuki series.
Daikaiju Yuki
Y2K: Yuki Conquers The World
Mokwa: Lifesblood of the Earth
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Tohosaurus wrote:[
I think Marvel Godzilla was, but I don't know that much of it is still in print.
The Marvel Godzilla run was collected under their Essentials line. Though I don't think it includes the mutant Godzilla books.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I'd love to get the collected mutated Godzilla.

Would love to get some of the Gamera comics as well.

The Reptar comic was interesting, but not exactly what I had hoped. All the characters told stories about Reptar, but I was actually hoping for a semi-legit Reptar series, using Dactar, Robosnail and Thorg lol
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Finally got around to reading Giants #1 (Dark Horse). Intriguing world so far.
고질라

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

The Dark Horse Gamera series is getting a release in Japan with New Matt Frank art and a NEW backup story!

https://twitter.com/spankzilla85/status ... 79329?s=21

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Aww, was just going to search out a thread like this.

I’d like to track down the Gorgo and Konga comics, but they’re not collected anywhere except in those Steve Ditko books which only include the ones that he did. Lol, I want them all.

I’ve only heard about the Reptilicus comics.

Are the Marvel Godzilla who is not technically Godzilla books collected somewhere?
Yeah, unfortunately it seems Gorgo and Konga only have the Ditko collections. Which are super nice!! But not even close to complete.

The two issues of Reptilicus are available for free online (the comics themselves are public domain) and I think the Reptisaurus comics were released by somebody as "Scarysaurus" but I heard the release was crap and you're better off just reading the scans online (they're also public domain, the character PD too).
Tohosaurus wrote:The Gorgos are collected I think unless I am mistaken.

No, Gorgo only had the Ditko release (unless someone can point us to a complete edition) which is missing most issues.

No idea if the Marvel Godzilla collection is still in print, haven't seen it in a store in a long while.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, I tried finding the individual Konga, Gorgo and Reptilicus comics and should’ve figured they’d be rare, but not THAT expensive! Bloody hell, are they tied up in rights like the G man or has IDW just not published them all.

I’ve not been able to find any Godzilla Essentials, or any of the other missing trades. Maybe with the movie they’ll reprint some of them? I’d also love to see the Dark Horse Gamera get another release in the US with Matt Frank’s New story.

Anyone picked up Matt’s new Redman comic?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Don't know if it counts as such but anyone read Volcanosaurus? Basically SyFy dumb fun levels of goodness.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Anyone picked up Matt’s new Redman comic?
I don't think it's out yet.
고질라

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Anyone picked up Matt’s new Redman comic?
I'm planning no do it when I see it.

For the sake of having a complete list, I'll mention that John Layman's a giant monster comic coming out called Leviathan.

I won't be getting this one, as Layman said some things I've found highly offensive. I'm not going to repeat them, as I think I would be banned if I did.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Redman is only online. I’m tempted because I’m a big fan of Matt’s work, but I’ve never seen Redman proper.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Redman is only online. I’m tempted because I’m a big fan of Matt’s work, but I’ve never seen Redman proper.
Nor have I, but seeing how it'll feature some familiar Ultraman monsters like Jirass has me intrigued. Matt's art is always a plus, too.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Is Giants only going through Giants #5? Not seeing any info on #6.
Mr. Yellow wrote:Redman is only online. I’m tempted because I’m a big fan of Matt’s work, but I’ve never seen Redman proper.
Is it? Their site talks about shipping with this book.
고질라

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Redman isn't online-only. It's coming out as a graphic novel.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I meant you could only order is online. It’s not coming to comic book shops unless they order it or something. Not a standard Diamond release.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I’m surprised no ones mentioned Godzilla Awakening
GO GO GOJI KUN

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

What about it? It’s in the first post.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

How has no user here mentioned Firebreather?