Giant Monster Comic & Book Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Giant Monster Comic & Book Thread

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

In the Shadow of Extinction” by Kyle Warner is a trilogy of kaiju novels that I would very highly recommend. Excellent in all categories, amazing stuff.

Added in 5 minutes 15 seconds:
Oh, also, “All Your Ruins” by Alex Gayhart is a super good and well written novel, though be warned before you check it out that it is easily one of the darkest kaiju stories out there.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The Octopus wrote:How about Album covers with giant monsters? I suggest Queen News of the World. Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell and Saga Images in Twilight.
Don't forget Bat Out of Hell's two sequels, Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell and Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster is Loose.

Btw, are there going to be any more BOtH albums, or are they only going to be a trilogy?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:In the Shadow of Extinction” by Kyle Warner is a trilogy of kaiju novels that I would very highly recommend. Excellent in all categories, amazing stuff.

Added in 5 minutes 15 seconds:
Oh, also, “All Your Ruins” by Alex Gayhart is a super good and well written novel, though be warned before you check it out that it is easily one of the darkest kaiju stories out there.
Oh yeah? Okay I got Shadow of Extinct and haven't started it yet.
I have started Operation Red Dragon and...it's alright. I mean fun premise on the back: secret existence of kaiju where they plan to kick off a war and a secret government agency is tracking them. Dialogue is a bit forced at times but the initial prologue monster encounters were good so I'll keep reading. Just not a fan of these SCI-FI movie of the week covers so probably why the cover of Shadow Of Extinction Omnibus stood out to me.

Well...added All Your Ruins, Big Egg and Kaiju Corps to my cart for now. Two of those were very 'well at least the cover doesn't look like a SCI-FI original movie poster.' Book and its cover...
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shadow of Extinction actually looks really cool. I've never delved into non-Godzilla kaiju novels before, but I guess this is as good a place as any to start. I'll toss this into the unholy mountain of books I've got lined up to read.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

New kaiju comic coming Image in March.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/36 ... ous-kaiju/
In the world of ULTRAMEGA, a cosmic plague has spread and transformed everyday people into violent, monstrous kaiju.

Only the Ultramega—three individuals imbued with incredible powers—hold the line against this madness. Their battles level cities and leave untold horror in their wake. Now, the final reckoning approaches for the Ultramega… but is this a war they can even win?

“ULTRAMEGA’s debut issue will sink ships with its extra-length story—busting at the seams with a whopping 68-pages of colossal goodness,” the official press release teases.

Really dose show its inspirations on its sleeves this one, maybe a bit too much. My only real problem here, is that price tag. $8!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Firebreather/Ultramega crossover when?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

James Harren is a phenomenal artist -
(From BPRD Hell on Earth)

And his fight scenes are BRUTAL -
(Abe Sapien)

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

New Kong comics coming...wish it wasn't Dynamite

https://www.comicon.com/2022/07/20/sdcc ... rtainment/
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda