Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Re: Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:47 pm

So you guys think it'll reach $500 million at the end of its run?

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:26 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So you guys think it'll reach $500 million at the end of its run?

Easily.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Gothicserpent wrote:Easily.

I'm just surprised how big of a hit the movie was and people including myself thought it was gonna bomb.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:54 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:Easily.

I'm just surprised how big of a hit the movie was and people including myself thought it was gonna bomb.

Same. Its nuts how well its doing.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Cookson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:15 am

It has a shot at beating G14 worldwide. Pretty crazy honestly.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:54 am

According to Box Office Mojo, it's currently at 491,972,774 USD worldwide.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:20 am

I finally saw this last week and absolutely LOVED it. Between Rampage, City on the Edge of Battle, and The Meg this has been a GREAT year for giant monsters! :D

Anonziller
Yojimbo

Postby Anonziller » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm

It's past $500 million now.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Congrats The Meg! You deserved it!!!! :D

Oh yeah a sequel is guaranteed at this point. Can't wait for Kronosaurus', Liopleurodon's, Dunkleosteus', etc.

Heck who knows maybe they could even go as far as to make a shared universe consisting some of Steve Alten's other books. I recall The Loch and its sequel Vostok are set in the same universe as the Meg books.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 pm

There were rumors The Loch was optioned as a movie several years ago. Who knows with the success of Meg it may finally see the light of day.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:There were rumors The Loch was optioned as a movie several years ago. Who knows with the success of Meg it may finally see the light of day.

So I heard.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:26 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:There were rumors The Loch was optioned as a movie several years ago. Who knows with the success of Meg it may finally see the light of day.

So I heard.

The author's releasing a special edition Hardcover for it so there's some added publicity to get people excited about a potential movie.

fred25_ca
Yin-Yang Master

Postby fred25_ca » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 am

Anonziller wrote:It's past $500 million now.

Yay, so happy about this! There were so many naysayers (not here) against this movie and for me its movie of the year. A nice throwback to the monster movies of the 90's and to a certain degree Deepstar Six!
I've loved all the books in the series (just bought the new one but haven't read it yet). Like GodzillaFan said, I really hope they make a share universe. But take your time. Make The Loch (don't put any connections there, but don't contradict The meg either). Plaster from the writer of The meg all over it. And then make the Trench (the first meg sequel) and after that who knows, sky is the limit. A meg vs loch would be pretty cool mind you. :)
We haven't seen that even in the novels.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:16 pm

I'd love to see a Dunkleosteus.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm

If there are any sequels, I hope they play it loosely because most of the sequels are "Steve Alten writes out his midlife crisis and complains about random people he hates: guest starring the Megalodon and friends."

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:38 pm

Imo if they do plan to make sequels to Meg, I would love to see a Livyatan. Aside from the fact that this thing actually existed at the same time and was probably a rival to Megalodon, it had some of the largest teeth in history. It's basically a sperm whale with the jaws of a T. rex.
Make it white and give it some harpoon scars, and there you have "Meg vs Moby dick" lol.

Yeah it sounds batshit insane, but considering the 1st one already is, why stop :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:If there are any sequels, I hope they play it loosely because most of the sequels are "Steve Alten writes out his midlife crisis and complains about random people he hates: guest starring the Megalodon and friends."

Wait what?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:47 am

Gothicserpent wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:If there are any sequels, I hope they play it loosely because most of the sequels are "Steve Alten writes out his midlife crisis and complains about random people he hates: guest starring the Megalodon and friends."

Wait what?

You ever get that feeling of deja vu?

I mentioned this pre outage but I'll summarize.

- Jonas and Mac become cool 60 year olds who does crazy awesome stunts despite their age for no reason except an obvious mid-life crisis on the author's part.
- Multiple times, sex is brought up or happens and Jonas and his wife Terry, despite having a "happy" marriage, have multiple times where they consider cheating.
- A PETA group and Dubai buisness men are portrayed as backwards idiots that die grusome deaths after trying to expolit The Megs in the fourth novel.
- While it's still enjoyable, The Megs and the other sea monsters Alten introduces aren't treated as powerful monsters cloaked in suspense but instead as 30% generic threat, 20% intentional so bad, it's good monsters (Ever wanted to see a Meg attack a baseball game?), and 50% excuse for AWASUM characters to be AWASOMEU and kill in AWAWASUM ways.

TLDR: Please don't 1 to 1 adapt the sequels Warner Brothers.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 am

Eh my sister says The Trench is the best of the bunch she's read so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Eh my sister says The Trench is the best of the bunch she's read so far.

That's true, but that's because the midlife crisisy bits are in the subtext and it tries to keep to the original. Rest are much worse.

#MinillaForSmash2019

Return to “Monster Manor”