Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Re: Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

Postby daveblackeye15 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 am

Well I mean if you're writing or making a fun adventure story then you should tell what makes a good story. That said I kind of wish the Jurassic Park dinos started getting feathers.

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:52 am

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:A good article about the other sea monsters in the Meg universe:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... ee-screen/

There's plenty missing including the supercroc and the biggest of them all, the Liopleurodon.

I've always wanted the Jurassic park franchise to go full on sea monsters but it never did. Hopefully the Meg becomes a franchise and we get to see that!

Unfortunately the true Liopleurodon isn't nearly as big as once depicted and is actually the size of a large great white shark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liopleurodon

The true giant of the marine reptiles is still the Mosasaur at 56ft max.

technically pliosaurus funkei (predator x) is a better contender in terms of size. comparable to mosasaurs in length
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Shastasaurus is the biggest known marine reptile. Though yes I believe the Lios in Hell's Aquarium are giant size.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:05 pm

It looks like the film might actually be getting a sequel at this rate.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Gothicserpent wrote:It looks like the film might actually be getting a sequel at this rate.

Yay liopleurodons, kronosaurus', dunkleosteus', etc. here we come! :D
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 pm

I want to love this movie but I can just barley stop myself from hating it. The more I think about how lame it turned out compared to the book just kills it for me. This is why I don't regularly read books lol
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 pm

The MEG box office update look's to have a final run of 400$+ million Worldwide, as it's not after 10 day's release over 300$ million

Not bad for a film that had little expectation or anticipation and didn't start it's first trailer or promotion till 4 month's from release.

The Meg, seen as the first overtly commercial U.S.-China co-production that’s playing to a global audience, has released nearly everywhere with France and Japan still to come. There is some runway ahead, although China will go the way of the Ant-Man And The Wasp as of next Friday. We’re hearing final worldwide Meg estimates upwards of $400M.

Link - https://deadline.com/2018/08/the-meg-mi ... 202448077/
Last edited by XxComablack1937xX on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:32 pm

XxComablack1937xX wrote:The MEG box office update look's to have a final run of 400$+ million Worldwide, as it's not after 10 day's release over 300$ million

Not bad for a film that had little expectation or anticipation and didn't start it's first trailer or promotion till 4 month's from release.

The Meg, seen as the first overtly commercial U.S.-China co-production that’s playing to a global audience, has released nearly everywhere with France and Japan still to come. There is some runway ahead, although China will go the way of the Ant-Man And The Wasp as of next Friday. We’re hearing final worldwide Meg estimates upwards of $400M.

I hear $400 mil is the break even point.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Postby Gawdziller1954 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Shastasaurus is the biggest known marine reptile. Though yes I believe the Lios in Hell's Aquarium are giant size.

there are some new Zealand ichthyosaurs that have vertebrae twice as big as those of S. Sikaniensis. And yes, the lios in hell's aquarium are huge, bigger then the megalodon.

Added in 2 minutes 44 seconds:
master_of_monsters wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:A good article about the other sea monsters in the Meg universe:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... ee-screen/

There's plenty missing including the supercroc and the biggest of them all, the Liopleurodon.

I've always wanted the Jurassic park franchise to go full on sea monsters but it never did. Hopefully the Meg becomes a franchise and we get to see that!

Unfortunately the true Liopleurodon isn't nearly as big as once depicted and is actually the size of a large great white shark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liopleurodon

The true giant of the marine reptiles is still the Mosasaur at 56ft max.

technically pliosaurus funkei (predator x) is a better contender in terms of size. comparable to mosasaurs in length

New evidence puts P. Funkei at 10-11 meters, while Mosasaurus is 15-17 meters long. Almost ALL of the big pliosaurs are getting a downgrade in size in the recent years. The largest pliosaur IIRC Is a mandible from Cumnor that's 3 meters long. Putting it into the Head=1/4 of body equation we get a nearly 12 meter pliosaur.

OFC, P.Funkei and any other large pliosaur could kill Mosasaurus pretty easily, and that's discounting the massive 20-40 meter macropredatory ichthyosaurs.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

fred25_ca
Yin-Yang Master

Postby fred25_ca » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 am

XxComablack1937xX wrote:The MEG box office update look's to have a final run of 400$+ million Worldwide, as it's not after 10 day's release over 300$ million

No way The Meg only makes $400M. It made $314M in 10 days. In a week it should be at 400. They won't pull the movie from theaters anytime soon seeing as there are no big blockbusters coming out anytime soon.

If everything goes well it should finish near $500M (like 480 or something) not 400.
Last edited by fred25_ca on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:52 pm

What major countries has it not opened up in yet?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

Leviarex
Interpol Agent

Postby Leviarex » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Saw it last week, and true to what the overall consensus here is, it delivers a fun ride with a cast that doesn't quite give any Oscar worthy (though still serviceable) performances. As for the characters themselves, I did admittedly find Jack Morris fairly entertaining, and Jonas is kind of interesting, though the ex wife part of his arc didn't really add anything to the story beyond giving him motivation to be part of another rescue operation. On top of all that,
Spoiler:
having the Megalodon get eaten alive by swarms of local sharks is a pretty inventive and interesting way of killing it.
Last edited by Leviarex on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:42 am

It plays into the fact
Spoiler:
that sharks play an integral part of balance in an ecosystem and the introduction of the Megalodon was an imbalance to the current ecosystem, so yeah the ending worked well.

fred25_ca
Yin-Yang Master

Postby fred25_ca » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Love the version of the movie we got but man, those alternate designs were absolutely terrifying:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/351 ... daptation/

Would have loved to see a more horror orientated version with the albino design.
Last edited by fred25_ca on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Meg is now over $400 mil and shows no signs of slowing down.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Gothicserpent wrote:Meg is now over $400 mil and shows no signs of slowing down.

At this rate we could see 480-500 million. Were definitely getting a sequel.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Can't wait to see Angel and the Kronosaurus.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 pm

And it still has Japan to open up in? How well have Jason Staithem's movies done there?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 pm

The Japanese love shark movies.

PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:08 am

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Can't wait to see Angel and the Kronosaurus.

Angel in Name Only :P
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Return to “Monster Manor”