ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I'm not concerned about the movie giving us a really divergent incarnation of the character. In fact, I'd be open to something real different. I'm just concerned about it being a shitty movie directed by a hack fraud like Higuchi.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I'm not concerned about the movie giving us a really divergent incarnation of the character. In fact, I'd be open to something real different. I'm just concerned about it being a shitty movie directed by a hack fraud like Higuchi.
What has he directed that makes you think he's a hack fraud?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Ten bucks he says Shin Godzilla.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Birdman wrote:Ten bucks he says Shin Godzilla.
Given that he singled out Higuchi rather than Anno my guess is the live-action Attack on Titan films
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Vakanai wrote:What has he directed that makes you think he's a hack fraud?
Well, there's that Submersion of Japan remake from 2006 everybody said was terrible. And I know everyone hated the Attack on Titan movies. And what about that Hidden Fortress remake? Any fans here? No? His directing resume is fairly small, so when at least that many are stinkers, well I feel I have a right to be worried.
Anno is almost certainly what kept that movie afloat. Had it just been Higuchi, who knows how the reaction would be.

I think Higuchi is a great effects director (Though the way the Japanese MSM seems to treat him as some sort of all-knowing effects demigod is pretty annoying), but as a filmmaker, not so much.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Lest we forget, Giant God Warrior Appears In Tokyo was directed by Higuchi and written by Anno, and I would say that it felt more like the latter was in charge. Anno’s voice shined through and Higuchi acted in service of it from the director’s chair.

It’s probably a matter of symbiosis.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:What has he directed that makes you think he's a hack fraud?
Well, there's that Submersion of Japan remake from 2006 everybody said was terrible. And I know everyone hated the Attack on Titan movies. And what about that Hidden Fortress remake? Any fans here? No? His directing resume is fairly small, so when at least that many are stinkers, well I feel I have a right to be worried.
Anno is almost certainly what kept that movie afloat. Had it just been Higuchi, who knows how the reaction would be.

I think Higuchi is a great effects director (Though the way the Japanese MSM seems to treat him as some sort of all-knowing effects demigod is pretty annoying), but as a filmmaker, not so much.
I feel like the Attack on Titans movie is a bit of a toughie - a lot of that might be on the script trying to squish a big series into two relatively small movies; basically that no director would be able to make that script work. On the other hand, I thought I heard a lot of like for the special effects work, with some maybe slight knocks on the zipping around like Spider-Man stuff (for the record I've seen neither the anime series or the movies, so all my AoT knowledge is very much secondhand).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

The human narrative of the AoT movies was pretty dreadful but the Titan scenes are very well done, nothing beats the Titans breaching the wall in the first one, that’s some scary shit.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen...

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Holy skreeonk you aren't kidding. Ultra Ass Deflection is surely the greatest technique to ever come from Nebula M78!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Komenja wrote:Holy skreeonk you aren't kidding. Ultra Ass Deflection is surely the greatest technique to ever come from Nebula M78!
U40 actually.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Ahh, that explains it. These U40 boys clearly have more style than the regular Ultras.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

That's visually way more appealing to me than anything in the Monsterverse movies. It looks both modern and classic. I would kill for another Godzilla movie with classic tokusatsu FX done with that flair but I have a feeling Toho has moved on. Do they even have a devoted SFX department and staff anymore?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Terasawa wrote:That's visually way more appealing to me than anything in the Monsterverse movies. It looks both modern and classic. I would kill for another Godzilla movie with classic tokusatsu FX done with that flair but I have a feeling Toho has moved on. Do they even have a devoted SFX department and staff anymore?
I’d love to see Toho revert back to the classic methods of tokusatsu if they really are moving forward with that ‘extended universe’ plan. But that time is sadly over; it’s all photo-realistic MoCap CGI from now on.

It’s not as visceral as suitmation & miniatures though.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’m all for Toho pushing boundaries and experimenting with new special effects, but these movies have a very distinctive look to them. That Ultraman clip feels both classic and modern because of its special FX. The Monsterverse movies are technically very impressive and the SFX are well done but they don’t look or feel like tokusatsu. Shin came closer but I still felt like they missed the mark a bit.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Terasawa wrote:I’m all for Toho pushing boundaries and experimenting with new special effects, but these movies have a very distinctive look to them. That Ultraman clip feels both classic and modern because of its special FX. The Monsterverse movies are technically very impressive and the SFX are well done but they don’t look or feel like tokusatsu. Shin came closer but I still felt like they missed the mark a bit.
I’ll argue that it’s not just the suitmation and miniatures in that clip that make it feel old school.

It feels old school because it feels...playful.

It has this child-like energy to it, which for me is the Ultra Series’ secret sauce.
Last edited by Millenial88 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

So recent scans from the Taiga toyline suggests that
Spoiler:
Skull Gomora might return.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’ve seen a lot of people exclaim they’re an “Ultraman Casual” and I’ll just give you a nice list of things to watch and you’ll be good to go:

Ultraman Original Series
UltraSeven
Return of Ultraman
Ultraman Mebius
Ultraman X

IMO, these are the best in the series, and feature/have a lot of the important monsters that have become famous in the series.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Terasawa wrote:That's visually way more appealing to me than anything in the Monsterverse movies. It looks both modern and classic. I would kill for another Godzilla movie with classic tokusatsu FX done with that flair but I have a feeling Toho has moved on. Do they even have a devoted SFX department and staff anymore?
I think the taste of toku fans can be rather niche, and there simply isn't enough old school toku fans even in Japan for a big budget Godzilla movie to be profitable if they stuck to old school methods.

I think people have to be ready to accept this old school tokusatusu FX will become a more and more niche taste as time went on.

I for one would prefer a big budget Ultraman movie with Hollywood CGI than old school Tokusatsu FX. New HD digital cameras resulted in many of the minature looking even more toylike and fake than shooting the scenes on film.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Two new copyrights for Shin Ultraman and 邪神魔獣、グリムド (Evil God Monster/Demon Beast, Grimud) were just submitted by Tsuburaya.

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.