ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Ultraman vs Japanese Spiderman. Calling it now. :lol:
Or, Ultra Brothers Vs The Avengers.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Episode 22 of Ultraman Taiga has made me a fan of Takkong.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dracosaurian wrote:Episode 22 of Ultraman Taiga has made me a fan of Takkong.

I've ALWAYS been a fan, so seeing him return after so long really made me lose my shit. That and all the ROU music cues (ROU wasn't the very first show I saw, but I'd say its the one that really got to love the franchise, 6+ years ago when that Malay DVD set came out).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I can’t help but notice that Ultraman as a brand has been undergoing a bit of a surge here in the west.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote:I can’t help but notice that Ultraman as a brand has been undergoing a bit of a surge here in the west.
Curious, what besides the Mill Creek releases makes you say that? There's certainly been a surge of interest in our community and kaiju fandom thanks to the new releases and news of Shin Ultraman, but I haven't really seen anything outside of our niche fandom/community to suggest a wider surge of interest*. There's definitely been more of a push to get him into the west though, and about time too.

*I must confess I've not seen the anime and don't know how well the went over.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

The Marvel collaboration? The movie dubs? What you listed above and these are all examples of Tsuburaya's efforts to expand the brand?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Birdman wrote:The Marvel collaboration? The movie dubs? What you listed above and these are all examples of Tsuburaya's efforts to expand the brand?
Oh, I'm sorry - I thought you meant a surge of interest in the west, but I guess you meant surge as in "company pushing the brand". Yeah, they are definitely doing that. But it only makes sense, since they were kept from doing that for so long because of that whole legal bs.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^It's almost as if Tsuburaya winning the decades-long court battle with Chaiyo has triggered a something o a bottleneck affect. Another example I will like to point out it I have seen Ultraman blu-rays showing up in all of my local Wal-marts.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Ultraman Taiga The Movie: New Generation Climax

Featuring Ultraman Powered if the cast list is correct.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Birdman wrote:Ultraman Taiga The Movie: New Generation Climax

Featuring Ultraman Powered if the cast list is correct.
If the film’s title is anything to go by, this “new generation” era of Ultraman could come to an end.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Japan likes to add interesting and kind of meaningless titles in English to things. It could just be that. However, there is also a chance that this marks the end, until Shin Ultrman, which will be a reboot of the franchise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

Highly unlikely they'll be ending the mainline series just yet. It's been doing solid business the past couple of years, I believe, and Shin Ultraman has enough financial backing that I don't think it's going to put too much stress on TPC to do both for now.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Resized Image

This was on Tsuburaya's website on the page containing information on the cast for the Taiga movie for a short time before it and Grigio's names were removed. Seems like someone revealed something a bit too early by mistake.
Last edited by MoarCrossovers on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Xenofauna wrote:Highly unlikely they'll be ending the mainline series just yet. It's been doing solid business the past couple of years, I believe, and Shin Ultraman has enough financial backing that I don't think it's going to put too much stress on TPC to do both for now.
That’s true, but the franchise has become incredibly bloated with waaaay too many ultramen and things going on. I don’t doubt the continuation of sales of merch, just that they might change things or do a soft reboot in the future. In a way that was that Ultraman Ginga was.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Xenofauna wrote:Highly unlikely they'll be ending the mainline series just yet. It's been doing solid business the past couple of years, I believe, and Shin Ultraman has enough financial backing that I don't think it's going to put too much stress on TPC to do both for now.
That’s true, but the franchise has become incredibly bloated with waaaay too many ultramen and things going on. I don’t doubt the continuation of sales of merch, just that they might change things or do a soft reboot in the future. In a way that was that Ultraman Ginga was.
The movie is billing itself as the finale to New Generation, so you're probably right. Essentially, its the belated Heisei finale. Though really, all shows these past few years have been "soft reboots" considering each show (Sans Ginga S) takes place in its own universe.

Anyways, pretty annoyed that Asahi isn't among the returning heroes. It is confirmed that Sonohara-chan will at least return to voice Grigio (Who will probably show up at the last minute to merge with her brothers), but it would have been nice to have her hang with the others. But Powered? Holy shit! Still hoping we finally see the return of Saburo Shinoda with Taro playing a major role (And finding out just who the mommy is would be nice too), but we'll see.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

I’m new here and bringing the good news of even more Zero? :eh:

There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

How is it good news when it's just re-runs?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Birdman wrote:How is it good news when it's just re-runs?
‘Twas sarcasm -_-
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

So I spent some of the cash I got from family for Christmas and bought the blu-rays for Ultraseven, Geed, and Orb. And I still have the rest Ultra Q and Ultraman to finish up. Goal is to get everything watched by the time Return of Ultraman comes available in February.

Gonna be tough because I also have a ton of unwatched anime to get through too.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hey so on a total whim I was buying Giant Robo and Ultraseven blu-ray when I saw Ultraman Orb show+movie and added that to my order. I guess I should have come here first but is Orb a sequel series? Anything I really need to watch or even read first? I thought I heard good things about Orb.