ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by MoarCrossovers »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Hey so on a total whim I was buying Giant Robo and Ultraseven blu-ray when I saw Ultraman Orb show+movie and added that to my order. I guess I should have come here first but is Orb a sequel series? Anything I really need to watch or even read first? I thought I heard good things about Orb.
Orb is set in its own continuity but uses elements from past shows.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Okay thanks. I saw Geed was available too but that's kinda part of a trilogy right? I'm really behind on Ultra, the last thing I started to check out was X which I did like.

Anyway Ultraman Tiga is one I'm really hoping gets released sometime in the near future. Love the gimmick of his powers.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Geed is a wrapup series for the Zero and Belial movies, more or less.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Alright I'll stick to Seven and Orb for now then.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anyone got a schedule on when the next batch of blu-rays drop after Return of Ultraman and Orb Origin? And which series those will be? Thanks.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Still waiting on that.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Vakanai wrote:Anyone got a schedule on when the next batch of blu-rays drop after Return of Ultraman and Orb Origin? And which series those will be? Thanks.

R/B, X, Ace and Taro should be the next couple batches as long as they keep to their schedule that was released a few months ago.

Shouldn’t be later than May.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Saturndusk wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Anyone got a schedule on when the next batch of blu-rays drop after Return of Ultraman and Orb Origin? And which series those will be? Thanks.

R/B, X, Ace and Taro should be the next couple batches as long as they keep to their schedule that was released a few months ago.

Shouldn’t be later than May.
Cool, thanks! And somehow I missed there was a schedule released, got a pic/link of it?

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Here it is:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Birdman wrote:Here it is:

This is helpful, thanks. Not counting the ones coming out in February I already prepaid for, there looks to be 6 more entries this year (and that's not counting possible fall/winter releases). Wow, they're really cranking them out fast!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone care to take a guess as to when Ace will be released?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Wow they really are doing all the Showa Ultraman it looks like. I really hope they tackle Tiga, wasn't that the one that started the big revival? There's a huge window of stuff I barely know anything about, Jack, Ace, Return...really most Ultra actually with exception to the original, Seven, Great and X. Oh and Leo which I remember starting to watch but I had to give it up due to school. I remember liking how the monsters in Leo seemed really tough, how dark the series was and that Dann was angry and bitter. On the downside it seemed like the first ten episodes were really formulaic, kinda tiring and it seemed to go against Ultraseven's message of 'hey some aliens are good and some are bad. In fact sometimes it's the humans who are wrong.'

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

So, one issue I've noticed with the steelbook editions is how the disks are stacked up on top of each other around a long hard center piece that holds onto them a little too well. I just took out disc 5 of Ultraman, and figured I'd take disc 6 as well - dear lord! The way the disc bends when I'm trying to take it out, I'm afraid it'll snap in half or crack. Gave up for the moment until after I'm done with the current disc, but does anyone know a good way to get a disc out without wracking my nerves so bad?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I place my index and middle fingers on the disc rim, with my thumb on the edge of the center piece holder. When I press against one of the center's tabs with my thumbnail, I can pry the disc off with little issue.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yes got Ultraseven and Orb! Hm I didn't realize they were doing these neat books about the show and monsters. I better get Ultra Q and Ultraman as well.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Well, I finished Taiga the other day. I really liked this series. I still think Orb and Geed are highlights of the New Generation Ultras, but this was infinity better than R/B and Ginga. Probably put it on par with X, which is pretty solid. I enjoyed almost every episode and the characters, while not as memorable as those in Orb and Geed, weren't obnoxious (again, like R/B's). Tregear was a solid villain, but I do now believe that Jugglus Juggler set the bar so high for series-length villains that I doubt it'll ever be matched.

And with that, I look forward to the next series. I really hope they don't skip this year just for the upcoming Shin Ultraman. I don't really see why they would. Assuming they don't, I do have a wish list for returning kaiju for the next series. I REALLY want to see Astromons make a return. I was almost sure he would at some point for Taiga, but I guess I was wrong. I really want to see King Silvagon and King Goldras return as well, with powers more akin to their original incarnations in Tiga. Additionally, Five King making a comdback (dream would be a versus Tyrant situation with our hero caught in the middle) would be welcome. And finally...

LUNATYX.

Damn, we are WAY overdo for a Lunatyx episode. Guy hasn't had any real love since Mebius for his return near the series' end. Suit should still be in decent condition.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I forgot how brief a lot of the early Ultraseven battles are. It really is a combination of Ultra Q and Ultraman. I think I like Ultraseven more because it seems like the cast is allowed to do a little more. Only time there was drama in Ultraman was are Ide practically.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I forgot how brief a lot of the early Ultraseven battles are. It really is a combination of Ultra Q and Ultraman. I think I like Ultraseven more because it seems like the cast is allowed to do a little more. Only time there was drama in Ultraman was are Ide practically.
My main issue with Seven and why I prefer Ultraman and even Return of Ultraman over it is because it's almost ALWAYS the same thing: alien invasion after alien invasion after alien invasion. I get that was the idea for the series and done on purpose, but I prefer a bit more of "plot diversity."

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

MM Raids Again wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:I forgot how brief a lot of the early Ultraseven battles are. It really is a combination of Ultra Q and Ultraman. I think I like Ultraseven more because it seems like the cast is allowed to do a little more. Only time there was drama in Ultraman was are Ide practically.
My main issue with Seven and why I prefer Ultraman and even Return of Ultraman over it is because it's almost ALWAYS the same thing: alien invasion after alien invasion after alien invasion. I get that was the idea for the series and done on purpose, but I prefer a bit more of "plot diversity."
I dunno a nice thing about aliens invading is typically they are sentient and can talk, doing evil plans. It seems like with aliens it makes it easier for the cast to do more stuff. A rampaging giant monster is almost always 'shoot at it! Oh no our weapons don't work! Thank god Ultraman is here!' Though in that case when the cast gets a win it is a bit more delicious.

Like those robots underground in Ultraseven Soga got to shoot a few.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

daveblackeye15 wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:
I dunno a nice thing about aliens invading is typically they are sentient and can talk, doing evil plans. It seems like with aliens it makes it easier for the cast to do more stuff. A rampaging giant monster is almost always 'shoot at it! Oh no our weapons don't work! Thank god Ultraman is here!' Though in that case when the cast gets a win it is a bit more delicious.

Like those robots underground in Ultraseven Soga got to shoot a few.
Yeah, that's one of the things that allows Ultraseven to have a much better fleshed-out ensemble than Ultraman or Return of Ultraman.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.