ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Millenial88 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I had a great time watching the Netflix Ultraman series a few months ago, what did you guys think of it?
Just a pretty generic 2010s anime (At least that's what it struck me as). I did enjoy the first few episodes, but once the stalkerish Pigmon dude appeared, I began to lose interest, and by the time of Hokuto's arrival, I couldn't even follow what was going on. That said, I am glad it's getting a second season since it might tie some loose ends. But its easily the weakest Ultraman show for me (Aside from maybe Ginga and Orb Origin).
I’m really not a fan of past attempts to make a ‘mature’ version of Ultraman (the 2004 movie, Nexus), so this show really had to work hard to win me over.

For the most part, it did.

While the human side of the story does feel generic, it’s the monsters & aliens and the world-building around them that drew me in. The show takes the time to give a number of them character (Pigmon, especially) or at least be interesting to watch, to the point where I was legitimately watching it only to see how each one lived, behaved and interacted in the human world. Had the series presented them as simply ‘dark and edgy’ updates of classic monsters, I would’ve given up on it very quickly. Instead, it chose to make them avatars of that sense of quirkiness that has kept me a fan of this franchise for years.
Last edited by Millenial88 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Do they ever feature a rendition of Ultraman Jonias's theme?
I mean, he hasn't appeared, so no.
When he does, do you think they'll do?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LegendZilla wrote:When he does, do you think they'll do?
How the heck should I know? I definitely feel he’ll appear in New Generation Heroes though.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

"Lol, buy the Millcreek bluerays! We got glitches and that same shattering sound stock sound effect! Just like Eiji Tsuburaya intended us to see!"
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

I mean you could drop $600 for the same experience and without subtitles if you'd prefer?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

In fairness, Lamango seems to think the best way to watch Toku is in the lowest quality possible. Because high quality = YOU CAN SEE TEH STRINGZ!!1
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Uh no, I think it's a shit bluray release.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It may be shit in some objective sense, but speaking as a first-time viewer of the series with low standards who was happy to only spend $20, I'm pretty content.

I just cracked it open and watched the first two episodes. The first I'd seen years ago on Hulu, and it was still just okay, gets the ball rolling but nothing to write home about. I did like the second one. Alien Baltan is a fairly spooky villain with his disappearing illusions and muffled evil laugh. Also, the midair battle shows that Tsubaraya was trying to be ambitious even with his obvious limited budget and time constraints. That's pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this franchise is like once it really gets going.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

JAGzilla wrote:Also, the midair battle shows that Tsubaraya was trying to be ambitious even with his obvious limited budget and time constraints. That's pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this franchise is like once it really gets going.
Here's a fun little bonus for you now that you've seen that: a compilation film from 1979 added a new special effects sequence to that fight, which, despite the completely different suits utilized, is SUPER fun.

https://youtu.be/uTpd-D3MayQ
Last edited by Xenofauna on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I thought the original is only ok. It's fairly pleasant but lacks little substance and is very clearly targeted at kids. Moreso than pretty much all the other Ultra series I've watched.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

Years ago when I was first getting into all this nonsense, I too found myself a little put off by the style and tone of the original Ultraman, as well as how they were obviously still finding their footing, figuring out how the show would even work. Nowadays I have learned to better appreciate the filmmaking involved, especially in the episodes by Jissoji, who I'd wager is the single most underappreciated figure in tokusatsu as far as western fans are concerned. Your mileage may vary but I find the original is one that kind of will improve the longer it sits with you. I would say the franchise as we know it today probably owes more to the paradigm set by the Return of Ultraman though.
Last edited by Xenofauna on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

JAGzilla wrote:It may be poop in some objective sense, but speaking as a first-time viewer of the series with low standards who was happy to only spend $20, I'm pretty content.

I just cracked it open and watched the first two episodes. The first I'd seen years ago on Hulu, and it was still just okay, gets the ball rolling but nothing to write home about. I did like the second one. Alien Baltan is a fairly spooky villain with his disappearing illusions and muffled evil laugh. Also, the midair battle shows that Tsubaraya was trying to be ambitious even with his obvious limited budget and time constraints. That's pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this franchise is like once it really gets going.
Yeah, the fact that it's 20 is a saving grace, don't get me wrong. And hey, more Ultra in the US with out Chaiyo's greesey cheetoh covered fingers all over the IP is always amazing.
But when you hear the same glass shattering crash sound effect it weighs on ya. Especially one after another. :dizzy:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Watched the third and fourth episodes this morning. And all right, so this is a show where not all episodes are created equal. The Neronga episode seemed like much more money and effort went into the effects, and it basically felt like a short, slightly cheap kaiju movie, as opposed to the shoddier, children's TV show feel of the first two. There was some actual spectacle, real damage was done to the sets, the SDF launched an attack, the battle was fairly intense. Ultraman's Superman-style tanking of Neronga's beam was cool, as was the move where he brutally snapped off Neronga's horn. I was a touch unsure about how this show was going to stack up against the movies, but now I'm confident.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Yeah, that's what Tsuburaya set out to make. Movies that were barely 30 minutes.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/1581

Why do I have the shuddering feeling that we’ll end up getting something half-assed?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Millenial88 wrote:https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/1581

Why do I have the shuddering feeling that we’ll end up getting something half-assed?
Looks like Tsuburaya's trying to expand Ultraman to the west a bit more again. I'd be more happy..if the condition of modern Marvel Comics weren't so bad. X_X

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I just came here to share that same news (via Anime News Network). As someone who doesn't follow comics at all, I'm still happy to see another opportunity for the franchise to find footing here in the States.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

I can't wait for the next Avengers team that'll have Conan, Ultraman, and a WH40K Space Marine on it.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

It seems like a pretty good business strategy for the Tsuburaya company. I mean, we have an environment with a relatively growing interest with kaiju, and we have a new movie coming out in the next few years, when coincidentally western comics are coming out. Perhaps the reason for long development time has something to do with priming Ultraman as a western icon? IDK
He Jock it Made of Steel

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ultraman vs Japanese Spiderman. Calling it now. :lol:
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983