Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Power Rangers/Sentai Thread

Post by Bigdog »

EdGojra wrote:
Draglord wrote:RPM isn't in the same universe, IIRC.
Okay. How was RPM? And my question about Mesogog(just found out his name) hasn't been answered.
A lot of people agree that RPM is the best of the Disney Era or at least one of the best.[/quote]
How well received is the Disney Era in general?[/quote]

I was on RB and Henshin Justice , so it's mixed to positive. While there are those who whine about the changes, it nonetheless was a mostly solid run that dared to innovate in certain respects with the format. While MF's second half , OO , and JF turned me off, Jungle Fury is not a bad series, but just has a horrible voice actor for Bae which made me ditch the series in the first place.

Fans who whine about it have all mostly been silenced from the mediocre second Saban run of the show which is pretty much either a carbon copy/original Frankenstein like Samurai [Where I kid you not, characters change personalities from the American to their Japanese counterparts, alongside the horribly executed Lauren plot] , to Megaforce that changed plot focus halfway and is virtually almost a parody in its second half, which tries to shoehorn Gokaiger, its own story and horrible writing that creates meme worthy scenes.

Needless to say , I really don't miss watching the show now when Kyoryuger and the first 10 of Gobusters beats the current run.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Bigdog wrote:I was on RB and Henshin Justice , so it's mixed to positive. While there are those who whine about the changes, it nonetheless was a mostly solid run that dared to innovate in certain respects with the format. While MF's second half , OO , and JF turned me off, Jungle Fury is not a bad series, but just has a horrible voice actor for Bae which made me ditch the series in the first place.

Fans who whine about it have all mostly been silenced from the mediocre second Saban run of the show which is pretty much either a carbon copy/original Frankenstein like Samurai [Where I kid you not, characters change personalities from the American to their Japanese counterparts, alongside the horribly executed Lauren plot] , to Megaforce that changed plot focus halfway and is virtually almost a parody in its second half, which tries to shoehorn Gokaiger, its own story and horrible writing that creates meme worthy scenes.

Needless to say , I really don't miss watching the show now when Kyoryuger and the first 10 of Gobusters beats the current run.
Well, if Disney Era dared to innovate maybe I should watch some of it. Which series/season did the Disney Era start with? Which one should I start with?
Also, the meme worthy scenes, I'd like to be told of a few and a meme for them. Just for fun.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

I'd say get some Netflix and watch all the PR seasons. Yes expect corny-ness, bad puns, bad story lines, unfinished story lines. Bad characters and to many Disney Era explosions. However also expect wacky and cool monster designs, characters who are so cool and epic, you'll scream for more! Corny-ness you'll enjoy, giant robots, and a overall feeling of "good TV watching.

Watch Super Sentai as well. Compare the two shows and get a blast out of comparing Burai to Tommy, Ranru to Kira, or Troy to Marvelous! Watch it all and let the Spandex be with you! (Vanishes into thin air) 8-)
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

AHHH! Ear worm!

I dig it...
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

mecha-gino
Futurian

Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by mecha-gino »

Since I for the life of me can't find my original topic or any others focusing on the franchise I might as well make a new one.

Please note this isn't for the new movie but rather all the shows plus the two older movies and of course Sentai.

Ah yes... Nothing brings back memories then watching Power Rangers as a kid. It's been YEARS since I've watched any of the shows and I am well aware they're on various streaming sites. One of these days I'll watch them and relive my childhood but until then, I got some Sentai news!

It appears via twitter that Shout! Factory will be releasing Super Sentai on DVD and what better way to do this then start with the Toku series that helped make Toku popular here in the first place, Zyuranger which as many of you know eventually went on to become mighty morphin power rangers.

So yes, go and discuss Power Rangers and Super Sentai.

P.S. I hope the Zyuranger set does so well that this give Shout! The chance to license the original Kamen Rider next!
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

Dino4ex
Samurai

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by Dino4ex »

Definitely want the Zyuranger DVD. Beats viewing them online.
More sentai please
Giant Carnivorous Ants

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Whoever merged this, thank you. I honestly don't know how I missed this.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I highly doubt we will get anything before Zyuranger. Knowing Shout! has been hit or miss with their subs, I feel kinda worry. I notice a good amount of errors on their Ultraseven set.
go on... And that reminds me, I need to watch my copy of Ultraseven but I never heard anyone complain about that before.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

So basically they don't want something they love to be more available to others who also share this love?

What a bunch of digital dummies.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dino4ex wrote:Definitely want the Zyuranger DVD. Beats viewing them online.
More sentai please
WHERE IS THE NEWS?!

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

*bursts through walls*

Wait? Super Sentai? I thought it said....oh...well the only power rangers series I've ever eatched was Samurai.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Dino4ex
Samurai

Post by Dino4ex »

LegendZilla wrote:
More sentai please
WHERE IS THE NEWS?!
This? http://henshinjustice.com/2014/07/25/sh ... d-release/
Giant Carnivorous Ants

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dino4ex wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
More sentai please
WHERE IS THE NEWS?!
This? http://henshinjustice.com/2014/07/25/sh ... d-release/
Thanks!

Bye the way, I noticed that ever since Abraranger, we've never had a proper ranger death.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

Okay, this is undoubtedly old news to some of you, but I read something funny today that I thought I'd share.

Back in September of 2013, when Breaking Bad was airing its final episode, IGN ran an article on Bryan Cranston's work on Power Rangers. It took me by surprise that Godzilla was not Cranston's first role in the tokusatsu genre; he played various monsters in Power Rangers, such as "Twin Man" and "Snizzard".

The juxtaposition is honestly really hilarious. You can check out the article and the clips at the link below. Try to imagine Heisenberg saying these lines while threatening the Rangers:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/27/b ... ngers-past

It's so beautiful. Now that's an actor with range.

"Tonsil snakes, attack them!"

Apparently the first Blue Ranger, Billy Cranston, was also named after Cranston, which is really awesome.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm honestly quite surprised that they haven't done a construction-vehicle themed series as of now. It's a thing that a lot if kids, including myself as a toddler are typically captivated by.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Looks like the next Super Sentai in 2015 will be Ninjas.

http://news.tokunation.com/2014/10/22/n ... rked-21735

If Saban skips ToQger then this could be our Power Ranger show after Dino Supercharge.
I know. Perhaps they could eventually do another threesome crossover like how they did with Kyoryuger and its 2 Dino-themed predecessors.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

For those who are interested; this Saturday is the big reunion episode with some of the past Rangers.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm getting sick of MMPR nostalgia to be honest. We had it since 2010 and it's getting old. I like Time Force the best since it did a good job on staying faithful to Timeranger and even had a better main villain.
Meh, I didn't like Ransik that much; the show tried to be complex with him, but it just failed and made him look like a massive dick to Frax. The whole "mutants are oppressed" thing makes for interesting backstory, but he's treated more like a tyrant than a revolutionary.

My personal favourite is Wild Force, if only because the CG Zords looked really well done. It's cheesy, but cool.

Besides, Wild Force is the only season to have a crocodylian Zord be a member of the main cast, so that makes it cool. :P
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I liked Ransik. A friend of mine who met JDF twice told me supposedly that Ransik was planned to be more complex and that Time Force (the organization, not the rangers) was more corrupt then led on. Like for example, you find out that Ransik's wife (a human and member of time force BTW) was supposedly killed by Time Force because they feared their child would be a threat and so Ranik's real reason for traveling back in time was to keep time force from existing. The plot twist was that she comes to him in the last episode as a plot twist (as well as flashback explaining the above as a plot twist) alive and well to calm him down. He then tells the pink ranger he will surrender if she can fix time force and protect his wife. Take this all with a grain of salt, but it makes sense since we never saw Nedaria's mom and Ransik keeps reminding her of what humans did to them. But the script never came to fruition because of schedule constraints.

While it was never said out loud, it was heavily implied that Nedaria's/Ranik's lover or wife was dead and is possible reasons for his madness.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Leaked Ninninger scan!

It's been a long time since we've last seen white on the core team and a male yellow ranger.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: It's been a long time since we've last seen white on the core team and a male yellow ranger.
Not really, I mean Mystic Force wasn't a long time ago, and it had a male Yellow Ranger. Nor was Wild Force a long time ago, either; and that had a White Ranger as a core team member.

.....Does anybody else find it funny that Ninninger is airing after Kyoryuger, much like how Hurricenger aired after Gaoranger, Magiranger aired after Abaranger and Dairanger aired after Zyuranger? It's like a reccuring trend; the mystical/ninja season airs after the dinosaur/animal season, and the only exception to that is Gekiranger which had Go-Onger after it. :P
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.